PDA

View Full Version : DISD could have.......................

burnet44
05-23-2007, 10:58 PM
DISD could have all-girls
Madison High School is a possible location

By TAWNELL D. HOBBS / The Dallas Morning News

An all-girls public school in Dallas is more than a passing fancy. Some school district trustees say their first such campus could open next fall in South Dallas.

Trustees had voiced support for same-sex schools when the idea was discussed several months ago. Parents also gave overwhelming support in a survey.

So what's the holdup? Location.

Madison student Taquetta Sanders says there would be more fights if Madison became an all-girls school.
The Dallas Independent School District wants the perfect spot for the school – something central, something underutilized and something with neighborhood support.

Madison High School near Fair Park has been discussed as a possible location, Superintendent Mike Moses confirmed this week. But he's quick to say that no decision has been made.

"We're trying to make sure we do our homework," he said.

Board President Ken Zornes said trustees are waiting to receive a recommendation from district administrators. He said the ideal would be to create a small school for girls, followed by one for boys.

"It's a possibility," Dr. Moses said, emphasizing that neighborhood support would play into any decision.

"I will not recommend to the board imposing this on a neighborhood that doesn't want it," he said.

That shouldn't be a problem in South Dallas. Trustee Ron Price, who represents the area, said people there support having an all-girls school.

"I think we have an opportunity to do something really special for young ladies, academically," Mr. Price said.

He said that if Madison is used, boys at the school would attend Lincoln, Roosevelt or Woodrow Wilson high schools.

Willie Crawford, 18, a junior at Madison, said he's against the idea.

"I want to graduate from my home school," he said.

Although private schools have long used the single-sex concept, only 17 public single-sex schools exist nationwide, according to the nonprofit National Association for Single Sex Public Education.

The country's reaction to the concept has been mixed. Advocates say it's especially good for girls, who flourish away from boys. They also point to research that boys and girls learn differently.

Opponents say the situation could spawn education inequalities between the sexes.

A study by DISD found that same-sex schools are beneficial, especially for girls in nonaffluent families – and even more so for black and Latino girls. Students at risk also stand to benefit, according to the study.

In a district survey of parents, 79.8 percent of about 1,800 said they "like the concept" of middle and high school students attending girls-only and boys-only schools.

Students, however, were less willing to divide the sexes. Almost 70 percent of 7,000 students didn't want separate schools, the survey found.

Ninth-grader Toya Johnson and senior Taquetta Sanders said they thought there would be more fights between girls if boys were schooled elsewhere. "There would be fights every day," Taquetta said.

Taneishia McKinney, 17, said splitting the sexes probably would reduce teen pregnancies. But, still, she said she doesn't want her school, Madison, to be just for girls.

"You're taking what used to be a co-ed school and chopping it up," she said. "We're not used to that."

But Trustee Hollis Brashear said Madison High, with its central location, seems to be a good choice.

"I think it's a go once the location has been determined," Mr. Brashear said. He added that costs to run Madison as an all-girls school probably would be about the same.

Some community leaders are rooting for the school.

Hockaday School headmistress Elizabeth "Liza" Lee has said she would like to volunteer to help jump-start an all-girls school in DISD.

Lee Posey, chairman of Addison-based Palm Harbor Homes, has created a foundation that would help support the initiative.

"Assuming that the school becomes a reality, than this would be a primary focus of the foundation," Mr. Posey said. "Girls get a better education if they have the opportunity to not be distracted by boys."

The question for some parents: What about the boys?

"My nephews go to Madison, and they like it," said Tammy White, whose daughter attends the school. But, she said, "If it happens, it happens."

Madison has an enrollment of 660 – 306 boys and 354 girls. The school's campus is only about 52 percent utilized.

Dr. Moses has said that if the same-sex schools are created, they would enroll about 350 to 400 students. They probably would have distinct curricula, similar to a magnet school.

Students might have to get used to the idea.

"We're all excited about the prospects of it happening," Mr. Zornes said.

JR2004
05-23-2007, 11:47 PM
This has been discussed for more than a decade and has been shot down several times.

If you want to know why this will wind up causing a big problem, read where it says these kids will wind up going to Lincoln. If DISD wants to have to send the SWAT team to Lincoln everyday to control fights then go right on ahead and send the boys over there where they'll be at a school they grew up never wanting to attend. The stuff said by the Hutch kids about Madison will pale in comparison to what would happen if these kids attended the same school.

Edit: This article is a bit on the biased side as well. The folks who have long been against such a school don't seem to be included anywhere in the article. And I'm not sure just exactly who they've been asking in South Dallas about having an all-girls school, but I've yet to ever run across one person in Madison or Lincoln's neighborhood who thought this is a good idea.

injuredinmelee
05-24-2007, 12:47 AM
Madison student Taquetta Sanders says there would be more fights if Madison became an all-girls school.

this girls says the same thing twice in the article but why does shethink that? Did the equally ignorant reporter not think to ask her why she felt that way?

JR2004
05-24-2007, 01:43 PM
I knew there was something familiar about this article...

I remembered this morning that I read it 3 or 4 years ago! Looked it up and sure enough it's the same one!

It is still something on the table though with DISD, but as long as Leo Chaney (Madison graduate) is still involved in local politics, a school like this will not be at 3000 Martin Luther King Jr. Blvd. :)

KngKongInDTrunk
05-24-2007, 01:49 PM
Originally posted by injuredinmelee
this girls says the same thing twice in the article but why does shethink that? Did the equally ignorant reporter not think to ask her why she felt that way?

Thats interesting. I know at my school there are certainly more girl fights but they say it always has to do with boys?