PDA

View Full Version : Golf Swing Question

Old Tiger
05-23-2007, 04:36 PM
Why is it everytime I hit the ball it goes right. I get good distance and height but it's always right. Any pointers?

DU_stud04
05-23-2007, 04:38 PM
i cant really tell without seeing you swing.... might be opening up before contact? go to a driving range and practice your swing about 75 % speed. work with it till you get it going good, then speed it back up.

Adidas410s
05-23-2007, 04:40 PM
It's really hard to say without seeing you actually swing the club. The two most common reasons for a slice are that either your swinging "off plane" (aka...an ideal line relative to your body to create a straight shot) or your clubface is open at impact.

shankbear
05-23-2007, 05:11 PM
Is it curving right? Going straight right without curve?

Old Tiger
05-23-2007, 05:26 PM
straight right. I should possibly purchase a glove to help with my grip because that could be what is effecting it.

shankbear
05-23-2007, 05:30 PM
It sounds like the path of the clubhead is too much from the inside. If the clubface is open to the intended line of flight, then you will get that push. If the clubface is square to the intended line then you should get a draw or hook. Good players have the push as their miss. That is where Tiger misses it more often than not.

gap8d
05-23-2007, 05:39 PM
It's an easy fix. Just aim left!!!

Of course, my golf game is a little behind the average 4 year olds. . .

bobcat1
05-23-2007, 08:15 PM
Originally posted by Tiger WR
straight right. I should possibly purchase a glove to help with my grip because that could be what is effecting it.
I knew you were limp wristed all along!:p

LH Panther Mom
05-23-2007, 08:48 PM
Move your feet over two boards.

Oh wait.....that's my bowling tip. :D :p

DaHop72
05-23-2007, 09:35 PM
Originally posted by shankbear
It sounds like the path of the clubhead is too much from the inside. If the clubface is open to the intended line of flight, then you will get that push. If the clubface is square to the intended line then you should get a draw or hook. Good players have the push as their miss. That is where Tiger misses it more often than not. I agree, most likely swinging outside in, pretty common for most rec. golfers.

GOFOR2
05-23-2007, 10:38 PM
Originally posted by Tiger WR

You're blocking it. Not releasing the club face through impact because youre takeaway is too flat.

GOFOR2
05-23-2007, 10:39 PM
Originally posted by DaHop72
I agree, most likely swinging outside in, pretty common for most rec. golfers.

This would create a slice or pull hook, depending on the type of release through impact. Since he is hitting it straight right his probably does not originate from an out to in path.

BILLYFRED0000
05-23-2007, 11:04 PM
Originally posted by GOFOR2
This would create a slice or pull hook, depending on the type of release through impact. Since he is hitting it straight right his probably does not originate from an out to in path.

Simple really. Two questions> Are you a hitter or swinger?
If you are a hitter the most probable answer is you're alignment. Hitters are by and large one plane swingers and the only thing that really matters is ball position and body alignment. For example, you hit the ball solid but right. Then to correct you aim further left and probably start slicing the ball or hitting it further right. You do not see your alignment picture properly. If you are a swinger, then it gets a little more complicated because of the timing involved. But something to try at the range. Aim 10 yards right of target and swing and see where the ball goes. If it still goes right then try to pull your hands thru impact. Most likely you are grabbing the club with the right hand which promotes an open swing block. If however you hit a draw or hook then aim a little more on target and try again. Remember on simple fact. Golf is a simple game. See ball Hit ball. If you are hitting the ball long and solid then all you need to do is fix your alignment.

Perhaps I should explain alignment a little. Do not aim left to hit left. Set your body on target. If your swing hits right and is straight that is probably where you are aiming. But to hit a draw you aim farther right and stay on plane. To hit a fade you aim farther left and stay on plane. The more you open (aim left) the more likely chance of fading or slicing. That is why I suggest alignment. Hitting the ball solid but right of target is usually an alignment issue because a block is the hands being late and it usually fades at the end because the club is open to the target line at impact.

BILLYFRED0000
05-23-2007, 11:22 PM
If you happen to be a swinger of the club the most likely explanation is still alignment. But swingers usually work on two planes with the hips on one and the shoulders and arms on another. You could be clearing to fast but that is usually not the case. The average player (95) usually flips at the ball thinking that his hands are creating clubhead speed. The best advice to give is keep doing whatever it is that hits the ball straight and long and find and alignment ball position fix. YOu can have great
body position with a bad swing and still do ok. If you are lined up wrong even a great swing can't fix it.

BILLYFRED0000
05-23-2007, 11:43 PM
One suggestion. IF you have a pga superstore near you pay the 30 dollars for a lesson and they will put you on video and give you a cd copy so you can see exactly what you are doing and where you are lined up. It will also help you fix set up issues.
Allmost all ball striking errors are set up issues. That is assuming of course that you have some semblance of a swing....

The Single Plane Setup
Single Plane Setup positions your arms and the club in the most efficient position possible: starting you aligned at address where you will most naturally return during your swing at impact. This alignment of arms with clubshaft allows you to use the most direct route both back and through; swinging on a Single Plane

My bill is on it's way........

BILLYFRED0000
05-23-2007, 11:59 PM
Best single plane swinger ever....

Moe Norman.
Probably best ball striker ever far as that goes.

Moe once played an exhibition match with Sam Snead in Toronto in 1969. On a par-4, a creek crossed the fairway about 240 yards from the tee. Snead warned Moe that he couldn't clear the creek with a driver. "Not trying to," Moe said. "I'm playing for the bridge." Snead's shot landed safely on the near side of the creek. Norman's drive landed short, and rolled over the bridge to the other side.

Old Tiger
05-24-2007, 02:50 AM
Originally posted by LH Panther Mom
Move your feet over two boards.

Oh wait.....that's my bowling tip. :D :p I consistantly bowl 180 :D

GreenMachine
05-24-2007, 05:51 AM
Originally posted by shankbear
It sounds like the path of the clubhead is too much from the inside. If the clubface is open to the intended line of flight, then you will get that push. If the clubface is square to the intended line then you should get a draw or hook. Good players have the push as their miss. That is where Tiger misses it more often than not. Watch out taking advice from someone who has "shank" in their name :D

CenTexSports
05-24-2007, 07:08 AM
I read a story about an LPGA player from Canada. In it she talks about her long time coach (Idon't remember his name). He was giving an exhibition one day and he hit a huge hook, a hook, a draw, a fade, a slice and a big banana. Someone in the crowd ask him to hit a straight ball and he replied "I don't hit trick shots."

BILLYFRED0000
05-24-2007, 07:10 AM
One day in the 1950s, Moe and Ben Hogan were on the practice tee together at a pro tournament when a spectator asked Hogan to take a look at Moe. Hogan believed any ball hit dead straight was an accident. After each of the first six balls he watched Moe hit, Hogan said, "Accident." After watching Moe hit several more, Hogan said, "Just keep hitting those accidents, kid."

themsu97
05-24-2007, 08:19 AM
simple... shoulder is flying open which causes the club face to open which would be the straight right shot... i have the same problem from time to time... reminds me of why I am an amatuer and the recreational golfer...

bevo
05-24-2007, 10:45 AM
Let me give you something to consider for just a moment. I am not a golf pro by no means…and don’t claim to be one. But what helped me out for the most part and the tip came from a golf pro when I was in Phoenix. Don’t come back with a huge back swing, but maybe ½ to ¾ of your backswing and slow enough where you maintain control of the club head (a lot of folks have way too fast of a back swing resulting in a lack of control and it does throw off the timing), this way you’re in more control of the club head. As you come through the ball, you maintain the club head square at the point of contact... it’s all through the timing. After time you can come on back farther with your back swing as you master the change.

Try this…image you are pitching a pale (bucket) of water to douse a fire, it’s the same concept. You swinging your club face at the target, not across the body (outside in or inside out). Practice that on the driving range at ½ to ¾ speeds. Remember, it isn’t how hard you strike the ball, but how consistent and in control of the club head you maintain. It’s all in the timing. This will probably seem awkward at first, while trying to change our bad habits that we’ve developed over the years, it will be hard at first to make that change, but we all have accumulated bad habits at one time or another throughout the years.

Pretty much everything that has been suggested or said on here it true. As was suggested…the lessons will help vastly. But continuous practice on the driving range is what’s going to matter the most. At times, watch some of the guys on the range and try to pick up their strong points.

DaHop72
05-24-2007, 04:30 PM
Originally posted by GOFOR2
This would create a slice or pull hook, depending on the type of release through impact. Since he is hitting it straight right his probably does not originate from an out to in path. Probably 95% of rec. golfers have an extreme outside-in swing, seen plenty hit it right and if they pull it, it still slices.

Adidas410s
05-24-2007, 04:35 PM
Hey BillyFred...have you had a lesson at the PGA Superstore? I was thinking about going in for one...just for having the video analysis done. Geez...I've spent enough there that they ought to do it for free! :)

GreenMachine
05-24-2007, 04:56 PM
If you are pushing it right you probably have an inside out swing, which is good, but are holding on through the hitting area. Release through the shot at impact and you will probably start drawing the ball. If you had an outside in swing, you wouldn't push it right, but would slice it. ;)

DaHop72
05-24-2007, 05:04 PM
After reading closer, it does appear that he is blocking it, but with Casey who knows if he is giving us the "complete" picture. :doh: :doh:

Reds fan
05-24-2007, 05:08 PM
Dick Harmon summed up the trouble with my golf swing the best...
he said I was standing too close to the ball....after I hit it!:D :D :D