PDA

View Full Version : Coach fired amid assault probe

burnet44
05-23-2007, 02:21 PM
Coach fired amid assault probe
By Erin Bolen
Wednesday, May 23, 2007

The San Angelo Stampede Express fired head coach Johnny Anderson on Tuesday.

Anderson, who was named the sixth coach in the indoor professional football team’s history in February, had been suspended without pay for three weeks following an incident at the Cattleman’s Restaurant and Sports Bar on April 29.

“It’s just one of those situations we just felt coach Anderson needed some time to mature and learn to separate from being a player to being a coach,” Stampede general manager Bridget Jones said.

Anderson, who was a receiver and defensive back for the Stampede in 2004 and 2006, could not be reached for comment.

Wali Mumin was named the acting head coach. Mumin has served as the Stampede’s defensive coordinator while playing defensive back this season. He will not play while leading the team. He led the team with four interceptions in five games this season.

Jones said the team has no timeline to hire a permanent coaching replacement.

A police report filed by Emily Phelps and Natalie Schreckenbach on April 29 named Anderson, 27, as the suspect in an assault case. The women told police Anderson punched Phelps in the head, then grabbed Schreckenbach’s hair and threw her to the ground.

A San Angelo Police Department spokesman could not provide an update of the case’s status Tuesday evening.

The Stampede suspended Anderson for a minimum of 10 days on May 1. That suspension was extended until he was fired Tuesday morning.

Anderson spoke publicly about the incident at the bar only once, apologizing when his suspension was announced.

“I’m grateful for the support of my team and my ownership,” he said at the time. “I’m looking forward to a long career with this team, and I’m prepared to work with management to put this incident behind us.”

Stampede co-owner Darlene Jones “made the final decision sometime late (Monday) night,” Bridget Jones said. “I know she prayed a lot about it. We prayed about it a lot together. It was a decision that had to be made.”

Jones said the team has not made a decision on whether Anderson’s number will remain retired by the organization. Anderson’s No. 6, the only retired number in Stampede history, was retired when he was named head coach in February.

The Stampede are 1-4 this season, including 0-2 during Anderson’s suspension. Their next game is Saturday at Corpus Christi.

AP Panther Fan
05-23-2007, 03:57 PM
Wow...this is a crazy article! He punched one woman in the head and grabbed the other by the hair and threw her to the ground!:eek:

Sounds like he should have tried coaching ice hockey or women's roller derby.:dispntd:

LH Panther Mom
05-23-2007, 06:45 PM
Maybe the Bengals need a new coach. :devil:

luvhoops34
05-23-2007, 06:50 PM
Why was he assulting two women??? Couldn't he find another man to assult?

smustangs
05-23-2007, 08:22 PM
Originally posted by LH Panther Mom
Maybe the Bengals need a new coach. :devil:

haha sounds like he would be a perfect fit for the job

Buccaneer
05-23-2007, 10:45 PM
Originally posted by luvhoops34

He couldn't find Raelene!

smustangs
05-23-2007, 11:01 PM
Originally posted by Buccaneer
He couldn't find Raelene!

haha thats great

WTF-82
05-24-2007, 09:34 PM
I worked with this guy he really is a good guy. I hate what he did and hope he turns it around he loves the game a great player from Alabama. I was in shock when I first heard about this talked to him 2 weeks before this incident and he was really excited about being the new Head Coach of Stampede.

When you are out Drinking and partying all kinds of stuff can
happen I wish he would of stayed away from the partying life
he may of still been the coach.

WTF-82
05-24-2007, 09:39 PM
Originally posted by luvhoops34

I heard they threw a bottle at him he got mad I not making excuses for him because I know him just saying. Then the other slaped him he just grabbed her said he does not mean harm
you have to understand he is a pretty big guy solid. I believe
he did not just flat out go after 2 women something happen.

But I do understand there is still no excuse for it.