PDA

View Full Version : Keyshawn taking his damn ball to ESPN

Maroon87
05-23-2007, 12:53 PM
Keyshawn to retire, move to TV booth
Associated Press

Keyshawn Johnson will announce his retirement Wednesday, ending an NFL career in which the outspoken receiver was once one of the game's biggest threats.

He will join ESPN as a sportscaster and disclose his plans at a news conference in Los Angeles at USC, where he starred in college.

"After Keyshawn's announcement that he will retire, we will announce we are signing him to a contract," ESPN spokesman Bill Hofheimer said.

Johnson was released by the Carolina Panthers days after last month's draft.

The receiver told The Associated Press by phone that there would be a news conference at the USC campus. He would not say what he would announce, and laughed when told there was speculation he would be going directly from the playing field to the TV booth.

"Out of respect for the announcement I plan to make, I just want to wait until the press conference for everyone to find out," Johnson said. "If there's a lot of rumors and stuff out there, that's fun."

Johnson, who turns 35 in July, spent 11 years in the league. Last season, he became the 16th NFL player with 800 career catches.

He visited the Tennessee Titans last week and met with coaches and watched film.

But the Titans had not made a formal offer, and team officials had been talking with Johnson about the range and money that would be involved in any deal.

Titans coach Jeff Fisher, who became friends with Johnson while he played at USC and Johnson was a ball boy, said Monday he thought Johnson's numbers and production spoke for themselves.

"He still played at a high-level last year. He takes very good care of himself," Fisher said. "He hasn't had any injuries per se. Anytime you get a chance to bring an experienced veteran in to add to your roster then it's a good thing."

Johnson was the top pick in the 1996 draft, by the New York Jets. After a good rookie season — 63 catches, eight touchdowns — for a team that went 1-15, he wrote a book: "Just Give Me The Damn Ball," which was well-received by the public if not by his teammates.

He eventually earned the nickname "Me-shawn" for that, but his coaches, particularly Bill Parcells with both the Jets and Dallas Cowboys, considered him a hard worker and versatile clutch player. Parcells once called Johnson one of the best players he'd coached.

But Johnson did have run-ins with Jets receiver Wayne Chrebet when they played together and, less than a year after helping Tampa Bay win the 2003 Super Bowl, Johnson's spat with Buccaneers coach Jon Gruden got him suspended for the final six games of the season.

Johnson then joined Parcells and the Cowboys, where he had two productive seasons, with 141 catches and 12 touchdowns.

The Panthers signed Johnson last year after he was released by Dallas in a salary cap move so the Cowboys could sign Terrell Owens. While Owens had 85 catches for 1,180 yards and 13 TDs last year as the focal point of the passing game in Dallas, Johnson had 70 catches for 815 yards and four touchdowns as the No. 2 receiver behind Steve Smith in Carolina.

Adidas410s
05-23-2007, 01:09 PM
the Cows need to bring him back :mad:

crzyjournalist03
05-23-2007, 01:10 PM
Originally posted by Adidas410s
the Cows need to bring him back :mad:

seriously...he is still too good of a player to retire...Carolina straight up did him wrong...

Old Tiger
05-23-2007, 01:11 PM
I wish Tennessee could have signed him :(

Adidas410s
05-23-2007, 01:12 PM
Originally posted by crzyjournalist03
seriously...he is still too good of a player to retire...Carolina straight up did him wrong...
true...true...