PDA

View Full Version : Job situation...what would you do?

Adidas410s
05-23-2007, 11:20 AM
This is a situation that a friend of mine is in and he's trying to decide what to do. Currently he works at Job A on MWF and Job B on TTH. Job B called him and asked if he would work full time for them this summer before going back to school. They're both internships while he's finishing his MBA. Here are the facts as he knows them:

Job A
- Long-time family friend
- a 99% certainty that they will offer him a FT job after he gets his degree
- pays about 50% more/hr than Job B
- 25 hrs/wk

Job B
- no certainty or really any information at all if they will offer him a FT job after he gets his degree
- bigger company with a lot better future potential
- 20 hrs/wk

My best suggestion to him was to ask Job B for 1) a pay raise if he is to work FT for them this summer and 2) some sort of commitment that if he does a good job this summer that he will have a FT job after he gets his degree.

What would you do?

zeus63
05-23-2007, 11:25 AM
I'd say if he gets the promise of a FT job after he finishes school to go with B. If the family friend is a good friend then they will understand. Gotta think about the future.

Snyder_TigerFan
05-23-2007, 11:30 AM
I believe I would stick with Job A. If he makes 50% more per hour than job B and he's almost certain that he will have a FT job upon getting his degree, he will most likely get another raise at that time. Plus, finding that entry job is not always the easiest thing to do. Job B, if they were to offer him a job upon getting his degree, what kind of pay might they offer him, considering he is already make considerably less than the other job? If Job B can assure him that he will have a full time job upon graduation with a pay raise, then it's a toss up.

vet93
05-23-2007, 11:39 AM
I don't know all of the particulars, but there is alot to be said for loyalty. Sure a big company might put you in a position for the big time...but they will cut you loose in a heartbeat and not bat an eye. I tend to gravitate towards genuine personal relationships over going for the "big time". Sometimes those big companies are a flash in the pan....the chance for big bucks and advancement....with the risk that their demands and stress level will cause difficulty for you in the long run. It probably depends on the personality of your friend...If he is a "mover and a shaker" and a bit of a smoozer...then he would likely want the "glitz" of the big corporation. If he is a laid back dude that values relationships, inegrity and family...then the smaller company would be a better move.

pero chato
05-23-2007, 11:39 AM
Job A sounds like the right choice, however, if the friendship sours, then the job sours. If that happens, then Job B would still probably be an option, especially since he would have experience (at Job A).

Old Tiger
05-23-2007, 11:40 AM
There is no telling about the other job and how fast you will progress. You could be doing the same thing 10 years down the road not making anymore money than when you first started. For 10 years at the other job you could be making more money.

crzyjournalist03
05-23-2007, 11:41 AM
Job A...more certainty, more money, more hours...take the sure thing when it comes to jobs.

Snyder_TigerFan
05-23-2007, 11:43 AM
Originally posted by vet93
I don't know all of the particulars, but there is alot to be said for loyalty. Sure a big company might put you in a position for the big time...but they will cut you loose in a heartbeat and not bat an eye. I tend to gravitate towards genuine personal relationships over going for the "big time". Sometimes those big companies are a flash in the pan....the chance for big bucks and advancement....with the risk that their demands and stress level will cause difficulty for you in the long run. It probably depends on the personality of your friend...If he is a "mover and a shaker" and a bit of a smoozer...then he would likely want the "glitz" of the big corporation. If he is a laid back dude that values relationships, inegrity and family...then the smaller company would be a better move.

Good points. Bigger is rarely better, IMO.

99IHSMustang
05-23-2007, 11:53 AM
Another important factor to consider is whether your occupation is in great demand. What kind of benefits packages does job A provide? What kind of benefits packages does job B provide? Not everything is about how much your getting paid a year, but the total package. Some of the bigger companies have better incentives to keep you from going elsewhere.

CenTexSports
05-23-2007, 12:50 PM
Too many unknowns. Your friend has all of the answers so he needs to evaluate the opportunities himself. If a young person is getting an MBA and he has to ask friends or the 3aDL what to do; my answer would be to stay in college until he is able to make these types of decisions.

Adidas410s
05-23-2007, 01:04 PM
Originally posted by CenTexSports
Too many unknowns. Your friend has all of the answers so he needs to evaluate the opportunities himself. If a young person is getting an MBA and he has to ask friends or the 3aDL what to do; my answer would be to stay in college until he is able to make these types of decisions.
ha...I don't think it's an issue of asking random people for advice. I just thought I would throw it out there for others.

Also...any man who is too sure of himself to ask for the thoughts and input of others is a foolish man indeed.

CenTexSports
05-23-2007, 01:23 PM
I was just kidding about asking for advice but I was serious about him having all the answers. There are a lot more variables to the situation than the few you gave and it will be up to him to use his education and goals to pull it all together to make the appropriate decision.

Unless he is married then he just needs to ask his wife what to do!

AP Panther Fan
05-23-2007, 01:37 PM
Originally posted by CenTexSports
Unless he is married then he just needs to ask his wife what to do!

hahaha....best answer yet! :D

zebrablue2
05-23-2007, 05:20 PM
I have been in sales for 27 yrs. other companies have offered more $$$ over the years, but do what feels more comfortable.
your intuition will lead you in the right direction.

smustangs
05-23-2007, 08:48 PM
job a seems to be the best one to me