PDA

View Full Version : What's the difference in golf gloves?

crzyjournalist03
05-23-2007, 10:56 AM
My father in law entered me into a golf tournament with him in a couple of weeks. I've never been a serious golfer, but I don't look like an absolute beginner on the course. Anyway, I went yesterday to buy golf gloves and a couple of clubs to fill my bag, and I couldn't figure out what to look for. Nike has gloves called Dura Flex, Tech Extreme, and Dri-Fit, but they all feel almost the exact same.

What's a good golf glove, and what should I look for in a glove?

Also, should I look at getting a lob wedge or possibly a hybrid iron as my last club?

I have an eleven piece set right now, and I know I need a sand wedge, so I'm trying to figure out if a lob wedge or something like a 2-iron would be the better investment.

Emerson1
05-23-2007, 10:59 AM
Just get a glove that fits right and is around $15-$20. A $40 glove won't make a difference.

I would go for the sandwedge, but that's just me. I can't hit low irons at all

Reds fan
05-23-2007, 11:00 AM
Originally posted by crzyjournalist03
My father in law entered me into a golf tournament with him in a couple of weeks. I've never been a serious golfer, but I don't look like an absolute beginner on the course. Anyway, I went yesterday to buy golf gloves and a couple of clubs to fill my bag, and I couldn't figure out what to look for. Nike has gloves called Dura Flex, Tech Extreme, and Dri-Fit, but they all feel almost the exact same.

What's a good golf glove, and what should I look for in a glove?

Also, should I look at getting a lob wedge or possibly a hybrid iron as my last club?

I have an eleven piece set right now, and I know I need a sand wedge, so I'm trying to figure out if a lob wedge or something like a 2-iron would be the better investment.

Personal preference but I always like a good cabretta leather glove. As far as the last club do you need more accuracy from the tee or work maround the greens from up close? I always like having the 2 iron in the bag for tight tee shots where 3 or 4 wood don't quite fit the shot.

CenTexSports
05-23-2007, 12:55 PM
Sam's Club has a two pack for around $15 and I have found them to be good gloves. If you are not an accomplished golfer, I highly recommend at least one hybrid. They are great to use in place of a 2, 3, or 4 iron and much easier to hit. They are also great for around the green. I would recommend a 17 degree and a 21/22 degree.

Do NOT get a lob wedge if you do not play much. A bump and run shot is ten times easier than a lob shot and has a lot fewer bad possible results (skull or shank).

Fotbol
05-23-2007, 12:56 PM
U should look and make sure that there is a right-handed glove, and a left-handed glove.:doh: :D

crzyjournalist03
05-23-2007, 12:59 PM
Originally posted by Fotbol
U should look and make sure that there is a right-handed glove, and a left-handed glove.:doh: :D

I thought it was standard to play with only one glove???

Fotbol
05-23-2007, 01:07 PM
I thought it was standard to play with only one glove??? yeah depending on your swinging hand Right?:thinking:

DU_stud04
05-23-2007, 01:07 PM
golf gloves are a gimmick to make more money....they're worthless.

crzyjournalist03
05-23-2007, 01:10 PM
Ok...how about some ball advice...I know that Titleist Pro V1 and 1x are the top notch, but obviously, I've got a ways to go before I get there.

I've heard that Nike Mojo and Callaway Warbirds are two good balls for beginners...what do you guys think about golf balls?

Old Tiger
05-23-2007, 01:17 PM
Originally posted by DU_stud04
golf gloves are a gimmick to make more money....they're worthless. No they're not.

CenTexSports
05-23-2007, 01:19 PM
I prefer the Pro V's but they are very expensive. I like the Laddie if you can find them and most of the lower cost Callaway balls. The best deals I have found are logo overrun balls on golfsmith.com They usually have a couple of overruns for a good price.

DU_stud04
05-23-2007, 01:21 PM
Ok...how about some ball advice...I know that Titleist Pro V1 and 1x are the top notch, but obviously, I've got a ways to go before I get there.

I've heard that Nike Mojo and Callaway Warbirds are two good balls for beginners...what do you guys think about golf balls? i play mostly with balls i find......ill drive around and pick up balls that were abandoned.

my favorite found balls are the nike ones :D

crzyjournalist03
05-23-2007, 01:51 PM
i play mostly with balls i find......ill drive around and pick up balls that were abandoned.

my favorite found balls are the nike ones :D

can you tell a difference when you hit different types of balls?

Emerson1
05-23-2007, 01:53 PM
can you tell a difference when you hit different types of balls?
Not unless it's been sitting in the water or looks like it has been dug into the mud for awhile. Then it will feel harder when you hit it. Just buy something that is around $20, you won't be able to tell the difference.

Snyder_TigerFan
05-23-2007, 01:55 PM
Hitting a Top Flite feels about the same as hitting a rock.

Emerson1
05-23-2007, 01:58 PM
Originally posted by Snyder_TigerFan
Hitting a Top Flite feels about the same as hitting a rock.
Indeed. I used a top flight in a tournament once. I just dump balls into my bag and grab whatever. The two holes I used a Top Flight I double parred and had to pick up lol.

DU_stud04
05-23-2007, 02:57 PM
can you tell a difference when you hit different types of balls? nope...haha i cant tell any difference between range balls and nike balls/top flight/etc.

then again other people swear you can tell the difference, i think they just want to believe the $30 for a set of balls hits better.

DU_stud04
05-23-2007, 02:57 PM
Hitting a Top Flite feels about the same as hitting a rock. i like top flights :)

Snyder_TigerFan
05-23-2007, 03:04 PM
i like top flights :)

You can have all of mine. They are always the last ones left in the bag.:D

DU_stud04
05-23-2007, 03:10 PM
You can have all of mine. They are always the last ones left in the bag.:D top flights are the only ones i can get to draw back on a pitch....might not be much.... but i can do it