PDA

View Full Version : Panhandle Region Coach of the Year

EagleFan1997
05-23-2007, 08:51 AM
Blake Bryant, Canyon football
Eagles reach new heights

By Les Giles

leslie.giles@amarillo.com

Canyon football coach Blake Bryant has a unique ability to get the most out of his coaching staff, athletic director Todd Howey says.

Bryant, who guided the Eagles to the Class 3A Division I state semifinals for the team's deepest playoff advancement, possesses much the same ability where players are concerned.

''I've never seen a group of coaches more committed to a single cause than those in the Eagles' program,'' Howey said. ''And that goes from the ones in high school all the way through junior high.

''Blake is great at being a leader while not leading. I know that sounds kind of funny, but that is how I see him.''

The Eagles were favored to win their third straight District 5-3A football title last fall and didn't disappoint. In accomplishing that goal they ran their district win streak to 11 games.

In the playoffs, the Eagles defeated Wichita Falls Hirschi, Abilene Wylie and Andrews on consecutive weekends to reach the state semifinals. The win against Wylie was significant because Wylie ended Canyon's season in 2004 and 2005.

The Eagles' great season ended with a loss to eventual state champion Texarkana Liberty-Eylau.

''In looking back on our season, the thing that stood out most was the kind of spirit and team chemistry it had,'' Bryant said. ''When you go at something as hard as they did for four and a half months, it can get to be a long season at times. But they had fun the entire way. I know winning helps make it more fun, but that group of players liked playing together. They always seemed to make things fun.''

Bryant continually stressed to his players to look beyond the game at hand and try to focus on where they ultimately wanted to be.

And it worked well.

''We tried to focus on constant improvement,'' Bryant said. ''We worked hard to do the things we did best and not worry so much about our opponents. If we could play to the best of our potential, hopefully everything would take care of itself.

''We wanted the players to keep in mind where they wanted to ultimately be and what needed to be done to get there.''

He also was quick to praise his coaching staff.

''It's nice to be rewarded for a season like that,'' he said, ''but I'll guarantee my coaching staff deserves as much credit. They did a great job, and I appreciate each and every one.''

The Eagles finished 11-3 last season in Bryant's seventh season as the head coach. His record is 50-31.