PDA

View Full Version : george foreman

maestro
05-22-2007, 06:23 PM
Was Muhammad Ali's "rope-a-dope' strategy the only dope involved in the "Rumble in the Jungle?"

George Foreman isn't so sure.

In his recently published memoirs, "God in My Corner," Foreman says he was drugged just before the Oct. 30, 1974 title fight in what is now the Democratic Republic of the Congo -- then known as Zaire.

Foreman, then the world heavyweight champion, was a heavy favorite to beat Ali, the former champion. But Ali deflected or absorbed Foreman's punches as he leaned against the ropes, allowing Foreman to tire himself out in the tropical heat. He knocked Foreman out in the eighth round for the title.

But Foreman, now 58, says something else tired him. In his memoirs he says before the fight, his trainer gave him something to drink that tasted like medicine.

"I almost spit it out ... [I told my trainer] 'Man, I know this water has medicine in it,'" Foreman wrote. "I climbed into the ring with that medicinal taste still lingering in my mouth."

"After the third round, I was as tired as if I had fought 15 rounds. What's going on here? Did someone slip a drug in my water?" he wrote.

maestro
05-22-2007, 06:24 PM
so.....

does this rank right up there with julia roberts marrying lyle lovett??

I KNEW SOMETHING WEIRD was up!!

:)

LH Panther Mom
05-22-2007, 06:54 PM
:doh: Now correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't Ali as much of a legend in the ring as Foreman? So, now 30+ years later he was drugged????? Good grief! At least it wasn't Leon Spinx. :p

maestro
05-22-2007, 06:57 PM
foreman was the devastating champ..

ali was the crowd favorite in Africa.....

foreman goes on to say that boxing HAS ALWAYS had rumors of trainers working both sides....

boy, just what boxing needs....when it's trying to make a comeback in populaity.

KTA
05-22-2007, 07:36 PM
after 30+ years it just now comes out?:crazy: hes a fool

Chris Hart
05-22-2007, 09:14 PM
Both awesome fighters! But, it sounds like big George just can't admit that Ali was the better fighter. I've watched that EXCELLENT fight many, many times and Ali took the very best that Foreman had in the prime of his career. The body shots that Ali absorbed were just insane, and it never seemed to even phase him. If I were to think either of the two were drugged it wouldn't have been Foreman, lol. Those body shots would have wilted 99.9% of boxers, past, present and future. Get over it George...:hand:

Phil C
05-23-2007, 09:06 AM
There could be something to it. George should not have fought that fight in Africa. But he has nothing to prove because he came back and won the heavyweight championship again at the age of 45. :eek:

burnet44
05-23-2007, 09:13 AM
George is selling a book

gotta have a hook

big daddy russ
05-23-2007, 12:57 PM
Most boxing pundits say that Foreman was the hardest hitter of all time. Ali was light for a heavyweight and took a lot of punishment (especially for a body his size) that fight.

Maybe there's something to it.

Fotbol
05-23-2007, 01:01 PM
George had better stick to grills:D like Paul Wall:D