PDA

View Full Version : question for the Coastal Bend area folks

44INAROW
05-22-2007, 03:11 PM
How many of you coastal area folks have Windstorm coverage with the Texas Windstorm Insurance Association? I am just curious - we are fortunate in Cuero that the companies I write with still INCLUDE windstorm coverage, but I write alot of policies for customers who have houses down in Port O'Connor, Port Aransas, Rockport etc and the majority of the companies are excluding Windstorm coverage in Tier 1 areas now - - these TWIA regulations are a pain in the rear............. :mad: :mad: :mad: ok back to work...............

AP Panther Fan
05-22-2007, 04:20 PM
I am dealing with this currently!:mad:

Allstate is excluding all windstorm from their policies, so I am in the process of having to get coverage through TWIA.

When I blew off their little notice that they wanted me to sign acknowledging that they weren't going to carry the windstorm anymore...they determined that they would not renew my homeowner's policy.

So much for me ignoring them, I have signed the acknowledgement and am waiting to see how much the TWIA is going to cost!:foul:

Insurance and taxes!:mad: :mad: :mad:

44INAROW
05-22-2007, 04:27 PM
Originally posted by AP Panther Fan

Allstate is excluding all windstorm from their policies, so I am in the process of having to get coverage through TWIA.

When I blew off their little notice that they wanted me to sign acknowledging that they weren't going to carry the windstorm anymore...they determined that they would not renew my homeowner's policy.

So much for me ignoring them, I have signed the acknowledgement and am waiting to see how much the TWIA is going to cost!:foul:

make a mental note - DO NOT DO ANY REPAIRS without NOTIFYING TWIA via your local AGENT so they can send out an inspector - - causes MAJOR problems..... even a simple 2 ft by 2 ft shingle patch job...... :doh:

AP Panther Fan
05-22-2007, 04:31 PM
Originally posted by 44INAROW
make a mental note - DO NOT DO ANY REPAIRS without NOTIFYING TWIA via your local AGENT so they can send out an inspector - - causes MAJOR problems..... even a simple 2 ft by 2 ft shingle patch job...... :doh:

I am needing to re-roof my house soon. My 20 year shingles have lived about 18 years of their life.:(

Do you think this will cause me a problem? Will they send an inspector BEFORE covering me? Stupid Allstate!

sinton66
05-22-2007, 06:23 PM

If your roof is in good shape, it'll cost about $900 per year. If they classify it as "marginal" it'll be about $750 per year. I know, I have Allstate too (*#$@%**&!@#).

sinton66
05-22-2007, 06:30 PM
Originally posted by 44INAROW
How many of you coastal area folks have Windstorm coverage with the Texas Windstorm Insurance Association? I am just curious - we are fortunate in Cuero that the companies I write with still INCLUDE windstorm coverage, but I write alot of policies for customers who have houses down in Port O'Connor, Port Aransas, Rockport etc and the majority of the companies are excluding Windstorm coverage in Tier 1 areas now - - these TWIA regulations are a pain in the rear............. :mad: :mad: :mad: ok back to work...............

Farm Bureau uses Hwy 77 as a dividing line. If you live east of 77, TWIA. If you live West of 77, Farm Bureau still covers. Their rates however are just almost as much 9 slightly less)as regular carrier plus TWIA. Stupid Allstate is claiming three counties deep from the coast( which is close to 90 miles inland). My house ( West of 77)was built back in the mid sixties and has survived at least 5 hurricanes with no damage claims EVER filed on it (because no damage was ever done).

44INAROW
05-22-2007, 09:00 PM
I am needing to re-roof my house soon. My 20 year shingles have lived about 18 years of their life.:(

Do you think this will cause me a problem? Will they send an inspector BEFORE covering me? Stupid Allstate!

Sherri - you probably should call your agent - tell him you are thinking about getting a new roof - he'll probably suggest a TWIA inspector - come inspect it - that way when/if Allstate drops you or you have to go with TWIA - you already have the form # WPI 8 - that certifies the roof was installed to local specifications.... if you notify the inspector BEFORE you roof (so they can inspect while it's being installed) - it's free - if you do work/repairs and then have to have the inspector - YOU pay for it....... I have #'s at work if you need them....... if anyone has had the TWIA policies in the past - the previous wording was "Windstorm, Hurricane and Hail" now the word HURRICANE is not there - some folks interpreted Hurricane to cover TIDAL SURGE/RISING WATER - and it DOESN'T - so to CYA they took the Hurricane word out. The only way to get RISING WATER coverage is via a FLOOD POLICY (unless you have a newer mobile home and some policies include flood but not all) Isn't Insurance FUN??? :mad: :mad: :mad:

sinton66
05-22-2007, 09:15 PM
I was told if you have it reroofed by a commercial roofer, the inspection form is done by them. You only have to have a TWIA inspector if you do the repairs yourself.

44INAROW
05-22-2007, 09:47 PM
Originally posted by sinton66
I was told if you have it reroofed by a commercial roofer, the inspection form is done by them. You only have to have a TWIA inspector if you do the repairs yourself.

that could be right Tony - like I said - we don't do that many TWIA policies- just mainly for folks that have "bay houses that are secondary residences" - the people in our area that have repairs done, usually have a local (Cuero area) roofer go down and do the work and maybe that's why they have to have the TWIA inspector ie - they might not be "certified by TWIA" I am just learning all this stuff - and what I have learned - confuses me ALOT :doh: :doh: We don't even have any "standard markets" that will write in Tier 1 and Tier 2 - have to go to "surplus lines" but the agents in the coastal areas have authority to write down there (for obvious reasons)

sinton66
05-22-2007, 09:57 PM
That's what the TWIA adjuster told my daughter who was visiting when he came and Allstate told me. I just went thru all that. Maybe it has to be a licensed roofer that does the job.