View Full Version : Adelman to coach the Rockets

luvhoops34
05-22-2007, 10:04 AM
May 22, 2007, 5:44AM
Adelman agrees on deal with Rockets
Team plans to introduce new coach Wednesday

By JONATHAN FEIGEN
Copyright 2007 Houston Chronicle

Adelman will fly to Houston today and be introduced Wednesday.

"The Rockets organization will get an outstanding coach," said Hall of Fame guard Clyde Drexler, whom Adelman coached in six of Drexler's 11-plus seasons with the Portland Trail Blazers. "I think he's the guy to get them over the top."

After a series of meetings with Rockets owner Leslie Alexander and general manager Daryl Morey on May 11 and May 12 — less than a week after the team's first-round playoff loss to the Utah Jazz — Adelman became the Rockets' choice to succeed Jeff Van Gundy, who on Friday was fired after four seasons as coach.

"Rick is a really good coach and a better guy," Van Gundy said. "I think he'll really do well."

Morey, Alexander and Adelman were not available for comment.

Adelman, 60, is 752-481 in 16 seasons as an NBA coach. He has a 70-68 postseason record. He led Portland to the NBA Finals in 1990 and 1992 and advanced to the Western Conference finals in 1991 with the Trail Blazers and 2002 with the Sacramento Kings.

Adelman's .610 winning percentage is the highest among coaches without an NBA championship. Jerry Sloan (.600) and George Karl (.588) are next on the list.

Selected by the Rockets in the seventh round of the 1968 draft, Adelman went to the Trail Blazers in the 1970 expansion draft before the Rockets moved from San Diego to Houston.

Adelman will join Rudy Tomjanovich as the only former Rockets players to become the franchise's coach. Of the five teams for which Adelman played, the Rockets will be the third to hire him as coach, joining the Trail Blazers and Kings. He also played for the Chicago Bulls and New Orleans Jazz during a seven-year career.

With Portland and his first Sacramento teams, Adelman had faced-paced, high scoring clubs. His later squads, while still among the NBA's top scoring teams, were more half-court oriented and used a lot of cuts and screens in a variation of the Princeton offense.

Adelman's first seven Sacramento teams were among the top three scoring teams in the NBA, and his first three Kings clubs led the league in scoring. His 2001-02 team, which advanced to Game 7 of the Western Conference finals before losing to the Los Angeles Lakers, won 61 games by an average of 7.6 points.

Adelman was fired after the 2005-06 season in which the Kings went 44-38 before losing to the San Antonio Spurs in six games in the first round of the playoffs.

His best season as a coach might have been with the 1990-91 Blazers. Portland went 63-19 before losing to the Lakers in the Western Conference finals.

jonathan.feigen@chron.com

JasperDog94
05-22-2007, 10:06 AM
This is a fairly safe hire. We'll see if he can get it done.

DUKE22
05-22-2007, 10:33 AM
He has won everywhere he has been. Has never won the big one but has been close a few times. The Rockets style of play might change a bit, but I dont know if his style fits the Rockets personel. I would not be surprised one bit if my boy Mike Bibby becomes a Rocket at some point. He would have to opt out of alot of money in Sacto but I think he likes Adelman, and Adelman likes him.

Maroon87
05-22-2007, 11:32 AM
The main thing the Rockets lack is killer instinct. Oh, and a backcourt. I'm not sure Adelman is that big of an improvement over JVG on the X and O side but I think his more positive attitude is something they really need right now.

JasperDog94
05-22-2007, 12:39 PM
Originally posted by Maroon87
... I think his more positive attitude is something they really need right now. What? You think JVG wasn't the eternal optimist?:eek: :D :D

JVG = Mr. Ray of Sunshine:cheerl: :cheerl: :cheerl: