PDA

View Full Version : Mother sues coach after child injures himself sliding into second base.

jason
05-22-2007, 09:51 AM
from the nypost.com (http://www.nypost.com/seven/05202007/news/regionalnews/base_accusationinjured_kids_mom_sues_slide_fool_co ach_regionalnews_james_fanelli_______and_mike_scho ll.htm)

BASE ACCUSATIONINJURED KID'S MOM SUES 'SLIDE FOOL' COACH
By JAMES FANELLI and MIKE SCHOLL
PrintEmailDigg ItStory Bottom

May 20, 2007 -- She won't let it slide.

A Staten Island mom is blaming her son's injury during a Little League game on a bum education in base-running.

In a new twist on an old rite of passage, Jean Gonzalez is suing a beloved veteran coach for not teaching her son Martin how to slide properly, according to a lawsuit filed on May 4.

The litigation stems from an ill-fated play exactly three years earlier, when Martin, then 12, whacked his first hit of the season and was told to go for second by his first-base coach.

When he slid into second base, he suffered "serious bodily injury" that required multiple surgeries and caused "permanent scarring and disability," according to the suit filed in Staten Island Supreme Court. The suit did not specify the dollar amount of damages.

Martin's coach, Leigh Bernstein, the New Springville Little League, and its international umbrella organization, Little League Baseball and Softball Inc., are all named as defendants in the suit, which charges them with never teaching him "skills needed to avoid and/or minimize the risks of injury," specifically how to run bases and slide.

News of the suit shocked the league, with some parents calling it frivolous and saying injuries are part of the game.

"I think it's kind of funny," Tricia Gregoretti said last week at New Springville's ball field while watching her 6-year-old son play. "It just doesn't make sense."

New Springville league President Luis Mojica expressed dismay that a lawsuit would target a program that introduces youngsters to the national pastime.

"All we do is provide a place for kids to play," said Mojica. "We're a community service."

He added that New Springville meets Little League safety standards, including the required foam bases that lessen the risk of injuries to players.

Bernstein was also surprised by the suit.

"I've been coaching for over 20 years, and have instructed players in the various skills required to play baseball, including sliding," he said. "Unfortunately, injuries happen. That's part of the game."

Despite the exhaustive training, injuries do occur, said Little League Baseball spokesman Chris Downs.

"You can instruct players thoroughly on techniques. That does not necessarily mean that the proper technique will be used in a game," he said.

Downs stressed the low number of Little League injuries. An average of 10,000 games are played each night and less than 1 percent of injuries that occur require medical treatment at a hospital, Downs said.

Adidas410s
05-22-2007, 09:56 AM
It's situations like these that make me glad that the girl is going to work for an insurance defense firm. This lady is just looking to make some money. Unfortunately..this will likely be settled out of court for a nominal amount against the insurance that the LLB&S keeps. :(

pirate4state
05-22-2007, 09:59 AM
WOW what a dumbass!!! :doh: :doh:

3aSoftball4Mom
05-22-2007, 10:03 AM
OMG!!!:dispntd: :dispntd: :dispntd:
How many have been injured sliding into a base???

That is just wrong!! :foul:

and folks wonder why we don't get more people to volunteer as coaches! This might be one reason. :confused:

rangerjim
05-22-2007, 10:40 AM
I got spiked as a catcher blocking the plate in little league back in 1976. Still have the scars. Wonder if the statute of limitations has run out. I need some cash.....................

Maroon87
05-22-2007, 10:45 AM
Memo to parents: Kids get hurt playing sports. Always have, always will. It builds character.

BTEXDAD
05-22-2007, 10:47 AM
Tell the kid don't be a wussy, just rub some dirt on it and get back out on the field.

Seriously I don't know how bad injury was, but donn't be stupid and sue.

Old Tiger
05-22-2007, 10:53 AM
scars are what its all about!

zebrablue2
05-22-2007, 04:28 PM
there is no way she should win this. what a joke. why is the
parent not working with the kid? no way I would settle, go
before a judge on this one.

DU_stud04
05-22-2007, 04:30 PM
haha, i remember little league someone slid a bit too late and snapped his leg..... i think it was even in a practice.

smustangs
05-22-2007, 04:31 PM
thats horrible some kids are so pathetic nowadays and its their parents fault