PDA

View Full Version : Prayers Needed Former Vernon Football Player Killed in Iraq

Z motion 10 out on 2
05-21-2007, 10:32 AM
Ryan comes from a great family. He played on the 2003 Lion Semi-Finalist team. I remember him hauling in a great 60 yard pass in the Childress game. That play opened the door for Vernon to take the lead and they never looked back.

From what the news said he was killed by small arms fire as he was searching houses for the 3 missing soldiers.

Please keep his family in prayer.

Vernon man killed in Iraq
By Linda Stewart/For the Times Record News
May 21, 2007

VERNON (Special) - A young Vernon man serving in Iraq has been killed in fighting there according to sources close to his family.

The man is identified as Spc. Ryan Collins, a 2005 graduate of Vernon High School. The military has not independently confirmed the death to the Times Record News.

Collins reportedly was killed in action on Friday morning. Sources close to the family said he had been due to come home soon and had actually agreed to delay his leave so that another soldier could come home for the birth of a child.

The military has not yet confirmed those circumstances or provided details on how Collins was killed.

He was the son of Vernon residents Danita and David Logsdon and of former resident Lynn Collins. Lynn Collins is a former chief of police in Iowa Park.

Ryan Collins had joined the military in the fall following his graduation. He was based at Fort Richardson, Alaska, before his deployment to Iraq about seven months ago.

He became the third fatality from the Iraq War from the Wichita Falls area.

Sgt. Gary S. Johnston of Windthorst was killed in combat near Fallujah, Iraq, on Jan. 23. Maj. Troy Gilbert, who has family in Wichita Falls and trained at Sheppard Air Force Base, was killed Nov. 27 when his plane crashed during a mission.

pirate4state
05-21-2007, 10:33 AM
oh wow - so sad :(

Johnny Utah
05-21-2007, 11:18 AM
Brave people for sure. Bless them and the families.

3aSoftball4Mom
05-21-2007, 12:02 PM
:(
So very sad. Thoughts and prayers with all of the families.

SWMustang
05-21-2007, 12:20 PM
when you're enjoying this long week end (and I encourage everyone to REALLY enjoy it) think about this young man and his family.

GreenMachine
05-21-2007, 02:44 PM
Prayers go out to them. I continue to hate seeing our brave young men and women of the armed forces in harms way :(

GreenMonster
05-21-2007, 03:22 PM
Although I did not know this young man personally I do know each of his parents. His Mother, Danita, was the secretary in the athletics office of the college when I played there and his Father, Lynn, was the Chief of Police here in Iowa Park for several years. I just remember him as being a real quiet and shy little boy from the ages of around 6 to 11 or 12. It's sad to know that his young life was ended but we all should be proud of him for paying the ultimate price for our country. He specifically enlisted in the Army because he wanted to be on the ground in the middle of the action because he wanted to make a difference. Rest in peace young man, for you are truly a warrior.

maestro
05-21-2007, 06:42 PM
very, very brave young men and women...

God bless

bobcat1
05-21-2007, 06:52 PM
He and all of the service men and women are my heroes! God Bless and comfort his family and friends. :(

Chris Hart
05-21-2007, 07:46 PM
You can tell everything about that young man's character and bravery just by the line that says that he delayed his own leave in favor of a fellow soldier that was about to have a child. That's the kind of young men that make this country and our military what it is today. I say thank you to the young man and his family for all he did for our country. What a man!!!

dogdad
05-21-2007, 09:21 PM
THE CHARACTER OF THIS YOUNG MAN MAKES ME REALIZE WHAT A HERO HE IS
MAY GOD BLESS THIS FAMILY
MAY WE ALL THANK THIS FAMILY FOR THIS GREAT SACRIFICE

sww-bull52
05-21-2007, 09:31 PM
God Bless this young warrior and his family.