PDA

View Full Version : Dirk, Nash vs Duncan & James The world is really Black and White....

Fotbol
05-21-2007, 07:58 AM
Nash And No-Who-Ski Or Shall We Say "Great White Hype"?

by Boyce Watkins, boycewatkins@blackathlete.com
POSTED: May 21, 2007

Email • Print • Discuss • Digg this story! •

NEW YORK -- I am not one to sit here and pretend that Steve Nash and Dirk Nowitzki are not great players. They ball with the best of them and their game's are tight. But I will vomit the next time I hear someone try to explain to me why they should have been chosen as MVPs over the past three years.

Does their being white have anything to do with their being chosen as league MVPs? Abso-damn-lutely. As I mentioned when I was on a radio interview with NBA commissioner David Stern, there has been a consistent effort to try to "whiten" the NBA, making the thugged out, gangsta braided, tattoo-totting brothers look less scary to their white audience.

Stern wants to show a counter-example on the floor, so he searches other countries, and even other planets to find just the right look. You want that golden boy. The one with the wavy hair, deep blue eyes, humble press conferences and a face that will fit nicely on a Wheaties box.

He doesn't have a baby's mama, he has a wife, two kids and a dog. He thinks that "50 Cent" is something you put in a vending machine. He doesn't smoke weed in public. At worst, he gets addicted to pain killers. He says all the right things, all the time, and the fans can even throw beer on him without fear of retaliation.

Then, you make sure that this guy, if he has any talent whatsoever, is given a clear shot at being the MVP. Nash and Nowitzki are perfect, since they are arguably as good as anyone.

But what's interesting is that neither of them did very much in this year's playoffs. The NBA and sportswriters have played the race card in the past, as we can all remember Christian Laettner being chosen over Shaq for the 1992 Olympic Team.

When Laettner and Shaq played together for the Miami Heat, Laettner was so far down the bench, he couldn't even get a ticket to the game.

Nowitzki was a "no-nothing" against Golden State. The brothers came with the funk and showed him how they play ball in Oaktown. Poor Dirk didn't know what hit him, as he was left with a forehead soaked with testicle sweat from whoever dunked on him last.

Nash is going home too, thanks to the continued heroics of a legitimate MVP contender, Tim Duncan. LeBron James, another guy who is clearly better than Nash and Nowitzki, is headed to the conference finals at the age of 22.

THAT, my friends, is what MVPs can do. If Nowitzki or Nash were playing for the Cavs, they would NOT be in the Eastern Conference Finals, and maybe not even in the playoffs.

I hear the moaning now. "BUT, but, but Nash makes his team sooo much better!" Yes, Nash is a great player, even if you give no credit to the amazingly talented men who know what to do with the ball when Nash gives it to them.

He has the ability to IMPROVE a team. However, LeBron and Duncan have the ability to CARRY a team. That, my friends, is the difference.

Nash and Nowitzki should be contenders for the VIP Award -- Very Important Player, or The RHP Award -- Really Helpful Player. Both Nash and "No-Show-Ski" need a strong supporting cast to make anything happen.

LeBron can turn nothing into something. Duncan takes his cast and wins titles with them. Shaq was winning titles when he won the MVP award. If any of these guys had Amare Stoudemire, they would be contenders every year.

The MVP is not the guy who looks best on a Wheaties Box. He's the guy who is most valuable to the league based on his ability. Nash and Nowitzki are nice, but silly sports writers want to make them into the Baby Jesus.

Like the rest of America, they are "blinded by the white".

Even Stevie Wonder can see that clearly.

Fotbol
05-21-2007, 08:00 AM
This world will never get past Color, I mean every where you look, read, or listen there's RACE. I know some good and Bad White folk, and I know some Good and Bad Black folk, can't judge a race by a few of its people!

dogdad
05-21-2007, 08:07 AM
Tim Duncan is Black?
Man, I didn't realize that.

luvhoops34
05-21-2007, 08:31 AM
He's trippin.....:rolleyes:

themsu97
05-21-2007, 08:45 AM
I guess you're right in this Fotbol, that if you want to make it a black/white thing anyone can... I don't see that way... I see it as a problem with the entire MVP voting in all sports... it now goes to the perceived player on the best team... never to the person who is most valuable... so, you can spin it however but that is the way it has been the last few years...

BTEXDAD
05-21-2007, 08:54 AM
Originally posted by Fotbol
Nash And No-Who-Ski Or Shall We Say "Great White Hype"?

by Boyce Watkins, boycewatkins@blackathlete.com
POSTED: May 21, 2007

But what's interesting is that neither of them did very much in this year's playoffs. The NBA and sportswriters have played the race card in the past, as we can all remember Christian Laettner being chosen over Shaq for the 1992 Olympic Team.

When Laettner and Shaq played together for the Miami Heat, Laettner was so far down the bench, he couldn't even get a ticket to the game.

Nowitzki was a "no-nothing" against Golden State. The brothers came with the funk and showed him how they play ball in Oaktown. Poor Dirk didn't know what hit him, as he was left with a forehead soaked with testicle sweat from whoever dunked on him last.

Nash is going home too, thanks to the continued heroics of a legitimate MVP contender, Tim Duncan. LeBron James, another guy who is clearly better than Nash and Nowitzki, is headed to the conference finals at the age of 22.

THAT, my friends, is what MVPs can do. If Nowitzki or Nash were playing for the Cavs, they would NOT be in the Eastern Conference Finals, and maybe not even in the playoffs.

I hear the moaning now. "BUT, but, but Nash makes his team sooo much better!" Yes, Nash is a great player, even if you give no credit to the amazingly talented men who know what to do with the ball when Nash gives it to them.

He has the ability to IMPROVE a team. However, LeBron and Duncan have the ability to CARRY a team. That, my friends, is the difference.

Nash and Nowitzki should be contenders for the VIP Award -- Very Important Player, or The RHP Award -- Really Helpful Player. Both Nash and "No-Show-Ski" need a strong supporting cast to make anything happen.

LeBron can turn nothing into something.
The MVP is not the guy who looks best on a Wheaties Box. He's the guy who is most valuable to the league based on his ability. Nash and Nowitzki are nice, but silly sports writers want to make them into the Baby Jesus.

Like the rest of America, they are "blinded by the white".

Even Stevie Wonder can see that clearly.

Boyce Watkins makes a few decent pts, but is off base on some of his other observations.
That WAS a farce when Christian Laettner made olympic team instead of Shaq, but if he has to go back 15 years to find a race card example, it must not be as bad as he says.

MVP voting is done prior to playoffs, so it's insignificant what Dirk did in playoffs, just fuel for the dirk haters.

People have different definitions of mvp. I personally feel the mvp is the player that does the most to help his team win and would have the most adverse effect on his team if he was not playing. As much as I dislike Kobe, he'd have to get my vote for MVP. Lebron is in that same category and is only a step behind Kobe as mvp. The lakers would be awful and so probably would the Cavs without these two phenoms.
And don't forget Baron Davis. AS he goes, so goes the GS Warriors.
Dirk, Duncan and Nash are all on about the same level as mvps IMO. Dallas, SA and Phx would still have decent teams although the loss of the three would definitelly impact the overall performance of their respective teams.

I can't say this is a black and white issue tho. There have been undeserving blacks who won Mvps b4.
Here's a list of most undeserving mVPs (all sports) by FOX Sports.
And yes, Dirk is on list.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nba/story/6808412?MSNHPHCP&GT1=10035

Phil C
05-21-2007, 09:03 AM
OMG! I hope Al and Jesse don't hear about this! :(

DDBooger
05-21-2007, 09:11 AM
Originally posted by Fotbol
Poor Dirk didn't know what hit him, as he was left with a forehead soaked with testicle sweat from whoever dunked on him last.
lmao, most of this stuff is laughable but especially this! haha

Fotbol
05-21-2007, 10:46 AM
Originally posted by dogdad
Tim Duncan is Black?
Man, I didn't realize that. Neither did I:rolleyes:

Phantom Stang
05-21-2007, 11:05 AM
l

Stern wants to show a counter-example on the floor, so he searches other countries, and even other planets to find just the right look. You want that golden boy. The one with the wavy hair, deep blue eyes, humble press conferences and a face that will fit nicely on a Wheaties box.

Since when do league officials recruit players for the teams?:confused:

3afan
05-21-2007, 11:17 AM
Boyce Watkins = racist

JJ7997
05-21-2007, 11:29 AM
Originally posted by 3afan
Boyce Watkins = racist

Exactly, those who groan the loudest are often the epitome of what they're whining about in the first place.