PDA

View Full Version : Congressman threatens sanctions against NFL if Vick isn't suspended

TexasHSFootball
05-19-2007, 03:06 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_ylt=Avdmn430LuUD1adx1e_5UMJDubYF?slug=ap-congress-vick&prov=ap&type=lgns

Congressman threatens sanctions against NFL if Vick isn't suspended

By PAUL NEWBERRY
AP Sports Writer
May 19, 2007

A California congressman has joined the cause against Michael Vick, firing off a letter Friday that urged NFL commissioner Roger Goodell to "act swiftly and forcefully" if the Atlanta Falcons quarterback was involved in dog fighting on his former property.

U.S. Rep. Tom Lantos (D-Calif.) pointed out that he's a senior member of the Oversight and Government Reform Committee, which two years ago held highly publicized hearings on the use of performance-enhancing drugs in professional sports.

Lantos raised the prospect of government intervention if the NFL fails to discipline Vick.

"I am outraged that one of the National Football League's superstars is affiliated with such a heinous enterprise," Lantos wrote.

Last month, police raided a Virginia home owned by Vick and allegedly found evidence of a major dog-fighting operation, including dozens off malnourished and injured dogs. The quarterback has denied any wrongdoing, and no criminal charges have been filed against him.

Vick has since sold the home.

"The level of cruelty involved in exploiting animals to the point that 60 malnourished and injured dogs were removed from Mr. Vick's property is mind boggling," Lantos said. "I will view anything less than the strongest repudiation of Mr. Vick's involvement as tacit support for this atrocious activity."

The NFL has said repeatedly it is investigating the case to determine if Vick violated the commissioner's tougher standards for players who run afoul of the law. Reached Friday, Falcons spokesman Reggie Roberts reiterated the team's policy of not commenting until the investigation is completed.

Calling himself a longtime advocate of animal welfare, Lantos joined two prominent animals rights groups that have called on Goodell to suspend or ban any players involved in dog fighting.

"As evidence of Mr. Vick's involvement mounts, I implore you to act swiftly and forcefully," the congressman wrote. "Your strong rebuke of dog fighting -- and those who promote it -- will send the message that this all-too-prevalent practice has no place in a civilized society."

In a not-so-subtle threat of possible congressional action, Lantos reminded the commissioner of his committee's efforts to weed out those who use performance-enhancing drugs.

"I also suggest you educate your players on the illegality and cruelty of dog fighting to prevent this from happening again," Lantos wrote. "It is my hope that the issue of animal fighting will not require us to further investigate the behavior of your athletes."

TexasHSFootball
05-19-2007, 03:13 PM
No wonder nothing of substance ever gets done down there. Too busy investigating baseball players and dog-fighting instead of dealing with issues like the war, poverty, immigration, homeless, health care and so on.

Politicians by definition are tools :D

JR2004
05-19-2007, 05:47 PM
wow...Do these morons really have nothing better to do than stick their nose in something that's none of their business?

Old Tiger
05-19-2007, 07:49 PM
Under the new policy Vick should be suspended anyway. He has done nothing but bring bad publicity to the league. Thanks Roger for being a junior high principle in a grown up world.

bobcat1
05-20-2007, 06:42 AM
Another typical F@G from California. I am not condoning dog fighting at all, but what in the blue hell is a congressman from California doing getting mixed up in this. OH:doh: I forgot it's election time.:rolleyes:

pirate4state
05-20-2007, 11:43 AM
Originally posted by bobcat1
Another typical F@G from California. I am not condoning dog fighting at all, but what in the blue hell is a congressman from California doing getting mixed up in this. OH:doh: I forgot it's election time.:rolleyes: My thoughts exactly - I mean almost word for word ;) :D

Jeez get some REAL work done!!!

bobcat1
05-20-2007, 12:49 PM
I think I misspelled that word; Calif@gnia :p

eagles_victory
05-20-2007, 12:54 PM
Originally posted by Tiger WR
Under the new policy Vick should be suspended anyway. He has done nothing but bring bad publicity to the league. Thanks Roger for being a junior high principle in a grown up world. there is nothing wrong with holding professionals accountable for their actions. You get convicted of drug charges and go to jail in the real world you dont get suspended you just get out right fired and dont have a good chance at getting another job.

DDBooger
05-20-2007, 01:03 PM
Originally posted by eagles_victory
there is nothing wrong with holding professionals accountable for their actions. You get convicted of drug charges and go to jail in the real world you dont get suspended you just get out right fired and dont have a good chance at getting another job. was what john McCain did any different with regards to MLB?

SintonFan
05-20-2007, 01:20 PM
What kind of sanctions can they impose? Higher taxes? Oops! They already have that in mind.:doh:

Emerson1
05-20-2007, 01:21 PM
How can the congressman expect for immediate action when Vick hasn't even been found guilty with anything?

SintonFan
05-20-2007, 01:22 PM
Originally posted by Emerson1
How can the congressman expect for immediate action when Vick hasn't even been found guilty with anything?
I was thinking along those lines too. Guilty until proven innocent?:mad:

crzyjournalist03
05-20-2007, 01:50 PM
Originally posted by Emerson1

Neither has PacMan Jones officially....

mustang04
05-20-2007, 02:12 PM
i see how most of yall are like "..fix some real problems besides dog fighting blah blah blah...." but for a pit-bull owner like me who loves the breed....this is a perfect chance to serve justice on a high level against those (Vick) who give pit-bulls a bad rep.....i really hope they do suspend him and then some

mustang04
05-20-2007, 02:15 PM
Originally posted by JR2004
wow...Do these morons really have nothing better to do than stick their nose in something that's none of their business?

dog-fighting is something that is almost everyones business...cuz the results of it are can what give breeds a label and that can affect owners of certain breeds across the country, it's because of ppl like Vick that certain states are trying to ban the breed of dogs that i've grown up with and have loved since i was 2