PDA

View Full Version : People really have a problem with this?

Ranger Mom
05-18-2007, 11:45 AM
I think it's a good idea!!

Hotel's 19th floor is women-only, but is it legal?

city's new JW Marriott hotel, one might be a first in America.

The Alticor-owned riverfront hotel is reserving its 19th floor and a lounge exclusively for female clientele when it opens Sept. 19.

Andrea Groom, a spokeswoman for the 24-story, 340-room hotel, said the idea recognizes more than half of all business travelers are women.

"A lot of women are saying they're not feeling like they're safe when they're traveling to a strange city," she said. "They don't necessarily want to go down to a lounge and feel like they are getting hit on by guys."

The women-only rooms also will have amenities not found in other rooms, such as chenille throw blankets, ionic hair dryers, jewelry holders and special bath products.

Access to those rooms will come at a $25 to $30 per night premium over standard rates of about $229.

Is it legal?

Harold Core, a Michigan Civil Rights Commission spokesman, said he wasn't sure.

"You cannot deny a person services just because they are male or female," Core said. "In a lot of cases, there could be a nondiscriminatory reason where a hotel would have that kind of set-up or policy."

He cited restrooms and locker rooms as gender-specific amenities that are legal.

"I can imagine if this is something they're announcing publicly, it is something that will either come to a court or come to our commission," he said.

George Aquino, general manager of the hotel, said with only a small percentage of women-only rooms, he doesn't expect it to become an issue.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/business/4811130.html

Some of the comments on here are hilarious!!

SintonFan
05-18-2007, 11:50 AM
Women only? Riiiiight.
I bet lots of "pool boys" will be invited up there frequently.:nerd:

CHS_CG
05-18-2007, 11:52 AM
I think it is a great idea as well and its not like its the whole damn hotel.. its ONE floor.

Ranger Mom
05-18-2007, 11:52 AM
Originally posted by SintonFan
Women only? Riiiiight.
I bet lots of "pool boys" will be invited up there frequently.:nerd:

Motels have pool boys???

SintonFan
05-18-2007, 11:54 AM
Originally posted by Ranger Mom
Motels have pool boys???
Only the good ones.;)

Ranger Mom
05-18-2007, 11:56 AM
Originally posted by SintonFan
Only the good ones.;)

That surely wouldn't be the Motel 6 you found for me and Jimmy!!!

A night in that one cured me from ever wanting to stay in another one!!!

I learned a lesson....always make sure you know where you are going to lay your head before you leave town!!!!

44INAROW
05-18-2007, 11:57 AM

I'm assuming it didnt' have chenille throw blankets, ionic hair dryers, jewelry holders and special bath products.
:D

Ranger Mom
05-18-2007, 12:02 PM
Originally posted by 44INAROW
I'm assuming it didnt' have chenille throw blankets, ionic hair dryers, jewelry holders and special bath products.

You assume correctly!!

CHS_CG
05-18-2007, 12:10 PM
I assume you used toothpaste instead of your hair products this time also lol.

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
05-18-2007, 12:16 PM
They're the ones paying for it, so who cares?

themsu97
05-18-2007, 12:30 PM
never been a pool boy... but a cabana boy sure

SWMustang
05-18-2007, 12:36 PM
Originally posted by BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
They're the ones paying for it, so who cares?

Ordinarily I'd agree, but what happens when the hotel is booked except for those rooms and the hotel turns men away? I would consider that discrimination.

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
05-18-2007, 12:39 PM
Originally posted by SWMustang
Ordinarily I'd agree, but what happens when the hotel is booked except for those rooms and the hotel turns men away? I would consider that discrimination.

Yeah, I can see where you're coming from on that one and agree. Also, if you think about it, it's not like men are constantly walking the halls of hotels trying to pick up women, or at least none that I have ever seen, and if they do, they must have never heard of clubs/bars.

SWMustang
05-18-2007, 12:42 PM
Yeah, I can see where you're coming from on that one and agree. Also, if you think about it, it's not like men are constantly walking the halls of hotels trying to pick up women, or at least none that I have ever seen, and if they do, they must have never heard of clubs/bars.

don't knock roaming hotel hallways for chicks until you've tried it. Duct tape and chloroform help out greatly too...

DU_stud04
05-18-2007, 12:49 PM
Motels have pool boys??? never seen a motel that has 19 stories. and expecially some of the JW Marriott hotels.... just google search and look at some of the images.

DU_stud04
05-18-2007, 12:51 PM
Yeah, I can see where you're coming from on that one and agree. Also, if you think about it, it's not like men are constantly walking the halls of hotels trying to pick up women, or at least none that I have ever seen, and if they do, they must have never heard of clubs/bars. youre not cool unless you are walking around hotels picking up business women.... no attachments ;)

SintonFan
05-18-2007, 03:49 PM

A night in that one cured me from ever wanting to stay in another one!!!

I learned a lesson....always make sure you know where you are going to lay your head before you leave town!!!!
Golly. When you say cheap I thought you meant CHEAP!:tongue: