PDA

View Full Version : Berkner soccer star named player of the year

kepdawg
05-17-2007, 11:10 PM
Berkner soccer star named player of the year

11:04 PM CDT on Wednesday, May 16, 2007

By DAVID HINOJOSA / The Dallas Morning News
dhinojosa@dallasnews.com

RICHARDSON – Melissa Henderson believes she's on her way.

The Richardson Berkner junior forward was honored Wednesday as the Gatorade National Player of the Year for girls soccer. Henderson, 17, is the first junior and first Texan to win the honor.

"My one dream is to make it to the [U.S.] national team, and this tells me that I have the ability and the support to do it," said Henderson, who has orally committed to Notre Dame. "It's astonishing and such a blessing. I'm so grateful for it."

Henderson had 24 goals and 12 assists last season for Berkner, which advanced to the Class 5A regional quarterfinals. Henderson is Berkner's career scoring leader, with 66 goals in 47 games. She was named to the 2006 Parade All-America team.

Henderson, who also plays for the Dallas Texans Red '90 club team, is rising on the national scene. Last week, she scored twice in the under-20 U.S. team's 3-2 victory against the Leeds Ladies during the team's tour of England. Henderson missed six Berkner games because of national team commitments.

"Every time she steps on the field, Melissa Henderson is expected to be the best player that anyone has ever seen," Berkner coach Chuck Brandon said. "That's a tremendous load for anyone to have. But she always has a smile on her face. The way she handles it displays her strength as a player and a person."

Kenny Medina, who coaches Henderson with the Texans, said she has been able to shine even though she is often double-teamed during national tournaments.

"Considering they put their best players on her – plus more – and she's still very successful, that sums it up," Medina said. "She's the best forward in the country."

Phil C
05-18-2007, 09:47 AM
A great star indeed! I wish you would have committed to UT or A&M so we could keep her talent in the State of Texas for her college career.