PDA

View Full Version : Article on Burnet's runaway victory

HotDawg89
08-30-2003, 08:28 AM
By Matthew Obernauer

AMERICAN-STATESMAN STAFF

Saturday, August 30, 2003

BURNET -- Stephen McGee didn't take long to put his stamp on his football team's first game of the season Friday night at Bulldog Field.

On the game's first play, he sprinted to the right and lofted a ball to Cody Warner, who had slipped behind the defense. Warner caught the pass and went for a 73-yard touchdown, the first of many in a 47-0 whitewash of Reagan.

"We got a great look at the line (of scrimmage) and Cody did a great job of getting open," said McGee, who finished with 304 yards passing in just three quarters. "They gave us what we wanted and we took it."

In front of a full house that included Gov. Rick Perry, the Bulldogs put together a complete performance on all sides of the ball and served notice to the rest of Class 3A that the road to the state title runs through Central Texas.

Reagan kept the game close through the first quarter, holding the Bulldogs' attack to a 10-0 lead. But the Raiders could do little against the Burnet defense, which controlled the line of scrimmage and often stopped the Reagan running game before it started.

"The defensive game plan was outstanding," said Burnet Coach Bob Shipley. "Anytime you shut out a team with the speed that Reagan has, that's impressive."

While the Raiders' defense focused primarily on stopping wide receiver Jordan Shipley, McGee used his other weapons to help Burnet surge to a big lead before the half. Warner was the standout receiver on Shipley's opposite end, with 91 yards receiving and 15 yards rushing on two carries.

"Cody Warner is the most under-recognized receiver in the state," Bob Shipley said. "He's a big-time playmaker. He gets overshadowed by Jordan's success, but Jordan wouldn't be half as good without Cody there."

The Bulldogs scored two more touchdowns and a safety before halftime. McGee took a 6-yard quarterback keeper into the end zone untouched, with 1:44 to play in the second quarter, and then with one play left in the half, connected with Clay Jetton on a 36-yard strike.

Burnet was intent on keeping up the pressure after the halftime break. And in the second half, Shipley came alive. His 37-yard catch on a fourth-and-14 set up the Bulldogs' fourth touchdown, and shortly afterwards, he returned a punt half the field for a 40-0 Burnet lead.

"I was as nervous as I've ever been before a game, knowing the talent Reagan has," Bob Shipley said. "We had a scrimmage that exposed some things for us, and we didn't really know where we were at.

"But no doubt, we're right where we want to be."

The Bulldogs closed out the scoring late in the third quarter, when McGee, on his third straight look into the end zone, connected with Shipley for a 33-yard touchdown.

The loss was a bitter pill for Reagan, which had hoped to avenge last season's 33-6 loss to the Bulldogs at House Park. But the Raiders were only able to manage 198 yards of total offense, and never got the ball inside the red zone.

"We can't dwell on the loss. We got beat by a very good team," said Raiders Coach Todd Patmon. "We've got nine games left, and we have to improve."

The victory over Class 4A Reagan solidified the Bulldogs' No. 1 ranking in many of the 3A polls.

"They know we're for real now," said Warner.

Dawgystyle
08-30-2003, 09:04 AM
I remembered reading the article on Reagan in the previous days Austin American. I agree about predictions that you can't fullfill. I am glad that Coach Patmon and his boys are confident but I think they need to find their game. The only other thing I can say is that the "dirty, dirty, dirty, northeast side" that Coach Portman spoke of got cleaned up when the came to Burnet.

GO DAWGS

Old Dog
08-30-2003, 09:45 AM
This is the very reason players should walk the walk and keep their mouths shut! Expounding your virtures will almost always lead to your own embarassment.

sinton66
08-30-2003, 09:51 AM
Words of wisdom, Old Dog! If you make a habit of sticking your neck out, you find out there's plenty of people willing to swing an axe! wink

BurnetBulldog
08-30-2003, 12:04 PM
Excellent article...

I did see the Reagan comments made in the paper a few days earlier and you had to take them with a grain of salt. The coach stands behind his team and believes in everything they do (good attitude.) However, the comments from the cb who was assigned to covered Shipley were atypical with ignorance. Maybe next time he won't have his alligator mouth make comments that his hummingbird a$$ can't cash. Somehow I doubt it though...

HotDawg89
08-30-2003, 12:10 PM
Yeah, they all had a little of the alligator thing going on last night...there were a few really classy guys who showed excellent sportsmanship- #15 was one of them I noticed often... but then there were a few who liked to dance at the line of scrimmage- wasn't that a riot??? They quit dancing early during the 2nd quarter though. . .

BurnetBulldog
08-30-2003, 12:14 PM
:-D yes I saw 18 and especially 33 running their sewers throughout the entire game. But hey it's HS Football and it's expected. Burnet has alot more focus and it shows.