PDA

View Full Version : For once...I like Barkley's idea about dealing with the Spurs

Adidas410s
05-17-2007, 10:36 AM
He said that if this had been his Phoenix team...he would've gone to Kevin Johnson and said "k come hard down the floor with Tony Parker guarding you and I'll set an illegal pick and put him into the 2nd row." You have to take matters into your own hands when the league wont.

DDBooger
05-17-2007, 10:37 AM
Barkely is a excellent spokesperson for ethical play lmao:D

Maroon87
05-17-2007, 10:41 AM
Originally posted by Adidas410s
He said that if this had been his Phoenix team...he would've gone to Kevin Johnson and said "k come hard down the floor with Tony Parker guarding you and I'll set an illegal pick and put him into the 2nd row." You have to take matters into your own hands when the league wont.

I dunno...that sounds like dirty play, and you know we can't have that.:rolleyes: :p

Adidas410s
05-17-2007, 10:45 AM
Originally posted by Maroon87
I dunno...that sounds like dirty play, and you know we can't have that.:rolleyes: :p

Like he said...if the league doesn't take care of things then the players have to. It's time for some marshal law! :P

I guess the Suns could've used the big Irish guy to set the illegal screen! ;)

GreenMachine
05-17-2007, 11:32 AM
He said that if this had been his Phoenix team...he would've gone to Kevin Johnson and said "k come hard down the floor with Tony Parker guarding you and I'll set an illegal pick and put him into the 2nd row." You have to take matters into your own hands when the league wont. OK Spurs hater, finally condoning cheap shots? Barkley probably would have done that because he was a physical player and he loved physical play. He also LOVES the Spurs. ;)

LH Panther Mom
05-17-2007, 11:34 AM
Well, I for one, am glad that Latrell Sprewell isn't a commentator. :eek: :eek: :p

SintonFan
05-17-2007, 12:58 PM
You gripe about the Spurs being too "dirty" when it basically is just hard-nosed defense(except for the Horry incident) and now openly condone an illegal pick which could injure a player?
HA!
Who in the heck posted this yesterday?

oh to converse with fair and objective fans...:rolleyes:
lol
:p :D

Adidas410s
05-17-2007, 01:05 PM
Originally posted by SintonFan
You gripe about the Spurs being too "dirty" when it basically is just hard-nosed defense(except for the Horry incident) and now openly condone an illegal pick which could injure a player?
HA!
Who in the heck posted this yesterday?

lol
:p :D

You can't say that much of what Bowen does these days is "hard-nosed defense." Last year he repeatedly would step under Dirk, Terry, and Stack while they were shooting. This series he's done it to Nash a few times along with the clip on ESPN that they run of him going up under Stoudamire. When the leader of the defense is playing dirty on a consistent basis...it's not just "hard-nosed defense."

And no...I'm not condoning taking a cheap shot at a player. I was agreeing with Barkley's mentality of "if the league won't do something to protect my guys then I sure as hell will do something about it."

SintonFan
05-17-2007, 01:17 PM
You can't say that much of what Bowen does these days is "hard-nosed defense." Last year he repeatedly would step under Dirk, Terry, and Stack while they were shooting. This series he's done it to Nash a few times along with the clip on ESPN that they run of him going up under Stoudamire. When the leader of the defense is playing dirty on a consistent basis...it's not just "hard-nosed defense."

And no...I'm not condoning taking a cheap shot at a player. I was agreeing with Barkley's mentality of "if the league won't do something to protect my guys then I sure as hell will do something about it."

You have to be on the ship to jump off of it in the first place. Had it been the Spurs last season...I would've supported them against the Suns. Before Game 7 with the Mavs...my friends and I made that agreement and weren't that concerned with who won because it had been such a great, well played series.
Which is it Addy? Yesterday you just said you didn't care so much who won last years series because it was a great, well played series...
Today you say something different.
Wow! The Spurs are suddenly dirty this year, huh? lol They've played the same for years now. I know, I've watched them consistently since David Robinson was drafted.
I say the Spurs don't play dirty and nothing has changed over the last few years but your opinion of them certainly has(and many other fans who have had theirs shaped by sport writers and Amare's comments).:rolleyes: :thinking: :D

Adidas410s
05-17-2007, 01:25 PM

Which is it Addy? Yesterday you just said you didn't care so much who won last years series because it was a great, well played series...
Today you say something different.
Wow! The Spurs are suddenly dirty this year, huh? lol They've played the same for years now. I know, I've watched them consistently since David Robinson was drafted.
I say the Spurs don't play dirty and nothing has changed over the last few years but your opinion of them certainly has(and many other fans who have had theirs shaped by sport writers and Amare's comments).:rolleyes: :thinking: :D

The Spurs/Suns series this year was "well played" the first 4 games IMO. Just because it's a well played series doesn't mean that you can't have people making dirty plays. Trust me...I griped plenty about Bowen's cheap shots last year too but it didn't detract from my enjoyment of those 7 games. Don't start twisting words and inferring things...read it for what it says. Can a well played series involve dirty plays? Yes. Can those plays take away from the quality of the series? Yes. Does that mean that the dirty plays always take away from the quality of the series? No as indictated by the Mavs/Spurs last year and the first 4 games of Spurs/Suns this year as well.

Phil C
05-17-2007, 01:33 PM
You have to be a law abiding citizen. You cannot take the law into your own hands because that is against the law. Besides remember what happened to innocent people in the Henry Fonda movie The Ox Bow Incident.

SintonFan
05-17-2007, 01:36 PM
The Spurs/Suns series this year was "well played" the first 4 games IMO. Just because it's a well played series doesn't mean that you can't have people making dirty plays. Trust me...I griped plenty about Bowen's cheap shots last year too but it didn't detract from my enjoyment of those 7 games. Don't start twisting words and inferring things...read it for what it says. Can a well played series involve dirty plays? Yes. Can those plays take away from the quality of the series? Yes. Does that mean that the dirty plays always take away from the quality of the series? No as indictated by the Mavs/Spurs last year and the first 4 games of Spurs/Suns this year as well.
I'm not trying to paint you in a corner Addy, but golly it sure looks inconsistent to me.:p
The point of all this is simple. Was the Spurs considered "dirty" before this year? No. Why the sudden change in attitude? I believe it's because many folks(sports writers and Amare) are scared San Antonio is gonna beat Phoenix and they are now setting up a scenario in which this thing will snow-ball with each game. Lots of folks don't want the Spurs to win it all for their own selfish reasons. Hence the attitude change.
I also believe Amare is a very poor sportsman for his comments and has all along used those comments in order to help him. Did you know that Amare is the second or third most foul-prone player this year? It is amazing he hasn't fouled out of one game yet considering how many times he did in the regular season. Just some food for thought...

JR2004
05-17-2007, 01:41 PM

This is something that he did do when the league and refs didn't step up and do something. If the league isn't going to do anything then you've got to take matters into your own hands. You just can't rely on a commissioner more inept than Bud Selig to do the right thing in this situation.

Adidas410s
05-17-2007, 01:48 PM
I'm not trying to paint you in a corner Addy, but golly it sure looks inconsistent to me.:p
The point of all this is simple. Was the Spurs considered "dirty" before this year? No. Why the sudden change in attitude? I believe it's because many folks(sports writers and Amare) are scared San Antonio is gonna beat Phoenix and they are now setting up a scenario in which this thing will snow-ball with each game. Lots of folks don't want the Spurs to win it all for their own selfish reasons. Hence the attitude change.
I also believe Amare is a very poor sportsman for his comments and has all along used those comments in order to help him. Did you know that Amare is the second or third most foul-prone player this year? It is amazing he hasn't fouled out of one game yet considering how many times he did in the regular season. Just some food for thought...

I think what has made the difference is that Bowen, Horry, etc have made "blatantly obvious" dirty plays that has brought light on the issue. That and the fact that Amare and others are pointing it out to the public that it's dirty play and you're right...it snow balls from there. Me personally...I'm ok with the Spurs winning the championship. I'm just not ok with the consistently dirty play and anything positive coming from it. Is that contradicting? To an extent yes but is it not possible for the Spurs to win by playing hard physical basketball without adding in the little cheap shots all the time? Yes I think they can do that...now the question is will they do that?

big daddy russ
05-17-2007, 02:28 PM
Originally posted by JR2004
This is something that he did do when the league and refs didn't step up and do something. If the league isn't going to do anything then you've got to take matters into your own hands. You just can't rely on a commissioner more inept than Bud Selig to do the right thing in this situation.
Absolutely.

I'm a Spurs fan, but I agree with this completely. We've gotten so soft as a society that we forget how to do the right thing sometimes, and sometimes that means standing up for your teammates.

Bill Simmons had a great article about this yesterday. Wish everyone could've read it. If you do that kind of crap in a pickup game, you get decked. That's just the way it is. Heck, I used to open up our church twice a week and I've been on the giving and receiving end of a couple of hard fouls/right hooks. And that was in the presence of God, not David Stern.

Adidas410s
05-17-2007, 02:33 PM
Originally posted by big daddy russ
Absolutely.

I'm a Spurs fan, but I agree with this completely. We've gotten so soft as a society that we forget how to do the right thing sometimes, and sometimes that means standing up for your teammates.

Bill Simmons had a great article about this yesterday. Wish everyone could've read it. If you do that kind of crap in a pickup game, you get decked. That's just the way it is. Heck, I used to open up our church twice a week and I've been on the giving and receiving end of a couple of hard fouls/right hooks. And that was in the presence of God, not David Stern.

Church league sports are rough...

That Bill Simmons article was pretty darn good yesterday...