View Full Version : Sources: Morrow to be UTA coach

kepdawg
05-16-2007, 01:36 PM
Sources: Morrow to be UTA coach

Her teams at Mansfield, Summit won more than 400 games

12:57 AM CDT on Wednesday, May 16, 2007

By CHUCK CARLTON / The Dallas Morning News
ccarlton@dallasnews.com

Barring a last-minute snag, Samantha Morrow will be introduced as UT-Arlington's women's basketball coach at a news conference this afternoon, sources familiar with the selection process confirmed Tuesday.

Morrow, who won four consecutive 5A state titles at Mansfield, represents a significant hire for mid-major UTA. She brings strong credentials and credibility as the replacement for Donna Capps, who took the Mavericks to two NCAA Tournaments in the last three years. Capps resigned this spring to become assistant athletic director in the Mesquite ISD.

At Mansfield, Morrow's teams claimed state titles from 1999 to 2002. Overall, she won more than 400 games at Mansfield and Summit. She resigned her coaching position at Summit after last season to become assistant athletic director in the Mansfield school district.

Morrow did not immediately return phone calls Tuesday evening.

Flower Mound Marcus coach Kit Kyle and Texas assistant coach Clarissa Davis-Wrightsil each said they had not been contacted by UTA since their interviews.

Mansfield Timberview coach Candi Harvey said she had withdrawn her name Monday and intended to stay at Timberview.

The fifth finalist, former Central Florida coach Gail Striegler, did not return phone messages Tuesday.

DU_stud04
05-16-2007, 01:41 PM
maybe we can make the tourny again.:)

eagles_victory
05-16-2007, 02:03 PM
can she win without erin grant?

kepdawg
05-16-2007, 02:13 PM
Originally posted by eagles_victory
can she win without erin grant?

Summit made it to Austin and lost to Rockwall in the semifinals this season.

eagles_victory
05-16-2007, 02:17 PM
Originally posted by kepdawg
Summit made it to Austin and lost to Rockwall in the semifinals this season. i know but she never won a state title without the all-american pg

Milk That Cow
05-16-2007, 02:22 PM
Morrow didn't coach Summitt last season...

kepdawg
05-16-2007, 02:51 PM
Originally posted by eagles_victory
i know but she never won a state title without the all-american pg

So it's state championship or bust?

I am very aware of the fact that she never won a championship without Grant, but making it to Austin out of region 1 this season wasn't a walk in the park.

Given the choice I would take Harvey over Morrow any day!

kepdawg
05-16-2007, 02:51 PM
Originally posted by Milk That Cow
Morrow didn't coach Summitt last season...

Yes, she did.