PDA

View Full Version : POLITICS SLANTING GLOBAL WARMING--say it ain't so....

BILLYFRED0000
05-15-2007, 11:10 PM
Gray, a Colorado State University researcher best known for his annual forecasts of hurricanes along the U.S. Atlantic coast, also said increasing levels of carbon dioxide won't produce more or stronger hurricanes.

He said that over the past 40 years the number of major hurricanes making landfall on the U.S. Atlantic coast has declined even though carbon dioxide levels have risen.

Gray, speaking to a group of Republican state lawmakers, had harsh words for researchers and politicians who say man-made greenhouse gases are responsible for global warming.

"They're blaming it all on humans, which is crazy," he said. "We're not the cause of it."

Many researchers believe warming is causing hurricanes to get stronger, while others aren't sure.

Gray complained that politics and research into global warming have created "almost an industry" that has unfairly frightened the public and overwhelmed dissenting voices.

He said research arguing that humans are causing global warming is "mush" based on unreliable computer models that cannot possibly take into account the hundreds of factors that influence the weather.

Gray said little-understood ocean currents are behind a decades-long warming cycle and disputed assertions that greenhouse gases could raise global temperatures as much as some scientists predict.

"There's no way that doubling CO2 is going to cause that amount of warming," he said.

Gray also said warming and cooling trends cannot go on indefinitely and believes temperatures are beginning to level out after a very warm year in 1998.

"We're going to begin to see some cooling," he said.

setxsports
05-15-2007, 11:33 PM
He's exactly right! I'm a Meteorologist and the world has gone through warm and cool cycles for hundreds of years.

SintonFan
05-16-2007, 12:24 PM
Originally posted by **********
He's exactly right! I'm a Meteorologist and the world has gone through warm and cool cycles for hundreds of years.
maybe even "thousands" of years? :D
Watch for the character assassination of Dr. Gray to immediately commence.:eek:

Reds fan
05-16-2007, 12:46 PM
Originally posted by SintonFan
maybe even "thousands" of years? :D
Watch for the character assassination of Dr. Gray to immediately commence.:eek:

Yep, the global warming caused by humans belief has become a "religion" by those who want to believe that humans are responsible.

Macarthur
05-16-2007, 01:01 PM
I think there needs to be some caution here though.

I have always taken a very pragmatic approach to this issue. There certainly is some misinformation and exageration on both sides (as with any issue).

However, I think it is dangerous to have the attitude that we humans can not have an affect on the planet. While it may not manifest itself in "Global Warming", we can have a major impact on whether this world is livable for us. I really see this more as a protect the planet type of thing rather than using Global Warming as a tool by either side. We need to work very hard at reducing all pollutants and excessive CO2 is a part of that.

SintonFan
05-16-2007, 01:06 PM
Originally posted by Macarthur

I have always taken a very pragmatic approach to this issue. There certainly is some misinformation and exageration on both sides (as with any issue).

However, I think it is dangerous to have the attitude that we humans can not have an affect on the planet. While it may not manifest itself in "Global Warming", we can have a major impact on whether this world is livable for us. I really see this more as a protect the planet type of thing rather than using Global Warming as a tool by either side. We need to work very hard at reducing all pollutants and excessive CO2 is a part of that.
So what you are really saying is that Dr. Gray's view is dangerous...:rolleyes:
here we go folks!:D

Macarthur
05-16-2007, 01:22 PM
Originally posted by SintonFan
So what you are really saying is that Dr. Gray's view is dangerous...:rolleyes:
here we go folks!:D

That's not what I said. My point is that there are some that will take this type of information and use it to justify irresponsible behavior with regards to resources and conservation.

SintonFan
05-16-2007, 01:28 PM
That's not what I said. My point is that there are some that will take this type of information and use it to justify irresponsible behavior with regards to resources and conservation.
I believe it takes a great amount of arrogance to believe we can affect the world to the degree environmentalists say we do.
We should keep the world as clean as possible yes, but these environmental wack-jobs would have you think(wrong word... feel) we are going to hell in a hand basket. They are politically motivated for many of their views too.
Why exactly do we need to reduce CO2 emissions?:thinking:

Macarthur
05-16-2007, 01:47 PM
I believe the arrogance to be on the side that thinks we have no affect.

SintonFan
05-16-2007, 04:10 PM
I believe the arrogance to be on the side that thinks we have no affect.
So are you saying you have listened to both sides and have reserved your opinion
until more info is available? That's my view for the most part. I lean toward the side of
thought that says we have less affect than radicals would have you believe.

rockdale80
05-16-2007, 06:28 PM
Some people think(to this day) the holocaust never took place either. They have even written articles on it. Just something to think about. I am not saying I am right, but I do think that the ever growing population and increased fuel emissions can and will have a lasting effect on our planet. I think it is something we can all play a role in protecting. Why not start now? Would emissions regulations really be such a bad thing? Or better gas mileage? If we choose to do nothing now, and we are directly destroying our planet, then where would we go from there to fix it?

Keith7
05-16-2007, 06:45 PM
Its a fact that the global tempurature has risen over the recent decades and you gotta be kidding yourself if you don't think it has something to do with the rise in co2... And its foolish to think that an excess of co2 won't have an effect on our climate, co2 is a greenhouse gas that stores heat.. This can be disasterous to the earth and the things that live here.. if you don't believe that co2 causes a rise in tempurature, then just look at Venus, the hottest planet in the solar system although it is only the 2nd closest planet.. This is because its atmosphere is made up mainly of co2...

Reds fan
05-16-2007, 07:22 PM
Originally posted by Keith7
Its a fact that the global tempurature has risen over the recent decades and you gotta be kidding yourself if you don't think it has something to do with the rise in co2... And its foolish to think that an excess of co2 won't have an effect on our climate, co2 is a greenhouse gas that stores heat.. This can be disasterous to the earth and the things that live here.. if you don't believe that co2 causes a rise in tempurature, then just look at Venus, the hottest planet in the solar system although it is only the 2nd closest planet.. This is because its atmosphere is made up mainly of co2...

I don't kid myself or others. I by myself am in no position to claim anything as certainty and I am not doing physical research on these theories. But I am entitled to chose which argument makes the most sense based on the theories and supports that are given by thinking for myself. There is no FACT here for either argument and can't be as neither theory can be PROVEN at this time, there is only supposition.

I will state again that those who believe that man has caused global warming are sounding more and more like fanatics, and treating global warming like a religion. Case in point, those who use words like "disasterous consequences", and "an end of the world as we know it", sound like fire and brimstone preachers to me. We can't possibly know this for certain!

And yes I am all for a cleaner atmosphere and cheaper cleaner fuel alternatives, just not for the reason of the "if we don't we're all gonna die", crowd.

SintonFan
05-16-2007, 07:36 PM
Originally posted by Keith7
So Dr. Gray is foolish or a fool?
Character assassination maybe?
My point is this...
it looks like when folks start believing in something like the Greenhouse Theory even though there is little evidence to back it up and more evidence to the contrary, they look like a bunch of kooks who will say and believe anything because they don't wanna be wrong. Just watch as many folks will now try to paint Dr. Gray in a negative light so they can then discredit him eventually.
Oh and Reds fan, I agree with you.:clap:

sinton66
05-16-2007, 07:38 PM

You do know that CO2 is used by every tree and plant on the planet, right?. In return, they produce the oxygen we need. I don't think carbon dioxide qualifies as a pollutant. Maybe you meant CO (carbon monoxide)?