PDA

View Full Version : Dave Campbell's 2002 predictions prove as pathetic as usual for 2002

Old Cardinal
01-01-2003, 11:38 AM
I took the opportunity to compare Dave Campbell's top 25 3A predictions to what was reality and AGAIN this year, he was incredablely wrong!.. Taking the top 16 bracket finishers, eight in Division I and eight in Division II, he missed 9 teams altogether, they are as follows (in Alphabetical order) :(1) Atlanta (2) Bandera (3) Bellville (4) Bridge City (5) Burnet (6) Marlin (7) Midland Greenwood (8) Monahans (9) Yoakum ....To miss a few is to be expected, but this is really bad, and to think, that rag has a following every year because he favors touting teams in high magazine circulation areas where he can sell more magazines. I appreciate the 3A down low staff, for making it available for anyone to present their projections pics.. It appears that at least 20 people through the last few years are much more accurate than the magazine peddlers..

Buffalo
01-01-2003, 12:54 PM
Why do we all buy it though. I agree I wished there was a better one.

PPHSfan
01-01-2003, 01:24 PM
I by no means am going to defend Dave on this one, but I did the math. And if you take 207 teams at the beginning of the pre-season, then pick your top 25 projected finishers, and seven of those teams are in the actual final 16 (that was split between the two divisions).... then that is not really what would be considered pathetic in most circles. If you go back and look at the documented preseason picks, how many picked more than 7 out of the final sixteen split of the two divisions? Please let me know so that I can make sure and look at their next season picks before I make my pre-season wagers :p

Old Cardinal
01-01-2003, 02:14 PM
Hey, PP-I think the sky is blue outside, and what color are you going to argue that it is?

Keith7
01-01-2003, 02:50 PM
I agree with PPHS.. considering most of those teams on your list ended up being surprises.. or reached the top 16 because of upsets.. he really wasnt off by much.. According to your logic, ESPN is a bad source for sports information cuz they picked the Rams and the Bears to be a couple of the top teams this season

<small>[ January 01, 2003, 01:52 PM: Message edited by: Keith7 ]</small>

Old Dog
01-01-2003, 02:55 PM
I don't buy Texas Football for the predictions, I get it because it has the most comprehensive review of every single team playing high school football in Texas. If there is another out there, would someone please point it out. Until the net got more comprehensive, it was the only thing I could get my hands on to find state wide coverage of all teams. I agree that it is has too many ads, but so do all mags. There are many knowledgable football fans on this thread, and I would dare to say most of them get that knowledge by reading "something", not visitation. So, to continue standing on the fence rail, Texas Football could do better, but it could not be here at all. Indecision MAY or MAY NOT be my biggest problem!

sinfan75
01-01-2003, 03:43 PM
I buy DCTF because I like to read it.Not because of how accurate their predictions are.Yes I have made some comments about certain teams not bein ranked.But over-all it's probably the best football magazine in the country.Every year there are some teams that will do better than expected.I think they do a pretty good job pickin the favorites.But they are just like all of us.WE Make guesses on who the winners will be.

bd0707
01-01-2003, 04:41 PM
Old Card are you sure the sky was blue when you made that post, or were you just assuming it was. I mean did you really verify all of the data or was it just Old Cards will that the sky was blue at that very moment. You really should be sure before you take time out your day just to be a smartass to someone that has an opinion that is different than yours.

Matthew328
01-01-2003, 05:10 PM
Was DCTF that far off?? Everyone knew coming into the season that 3A was going to be fairly even and that there was around 35 very good teams..I thought his Top 10 was pretty darn good..

1. Everman- D1 State Champs
2. Jasper- D1 State Semi-Finals
3. Sinton- D1 State Quarter-Finals
4. LaGrange- D2 Reg Semi-Finals
5. Commerce- lost in area
6. Newton- lost in area
7. Forney- lost in D1 state semi-finals
8. Longview Spring Hill- lost in D2 state qtr-finals
9. Daingerfield- lost in D2 state semi-finals
10. Carthage- lost in D1 Reg Semi-Finals

Not that bad..however at the start of the year I did have large disagreements with the bottom 15 of the top 25 I felt teams like Bonham, Snyder, Pecos, and Mathis had no buisness being in the Top 25 and they proved me correct.

<small>[ January 01, 2003, 04:12 PM: Message edited by: Matthew328 ]</small>

Old Cardinal
01-01-2003, 07:09 PM
There were 7 picked out of the top 16. He missed 9 picks out of the top 16...Of the remaining 25, there were NINE more "upsets" as Gainesville Keith would call his team. Of the seven that did make his top 25 teams, I can't think of anyone in Texas that would have not have stuck those Seven teams in the top 25 preseason. 7 out of 25 is a 36% pick for the top 25 and the 7 he did pick, were all very obvious choices, by even the most novice follower of 3A football....I agree, some of the interviews concerning prospects are parroted from the Coaching staff at the various schools, and very accurate. Others, interviewed by the college students on his staff, must just be the secretary or someone passing through the office,answering the phone..

PPHSfan
01-01-2003, 08:07 PM
In the words of my buddy W...old card is trying to fool you with Fuzzy math. The pick was 25 out of 207 that 7 out of 16 that was split between two divisions that does not necessarily represent the top 16 adds up to a whole lot better than 36 percent. :D :D :D

And by the way...the sky outside my house is black right now.

sinfan75
01-02-2003, 09:03 PM
Old Card,Next year why don't you pick your top 25 BEFORE DCTF comes outand if your prediction is better than theirs,I'll consider you the football god of Texas. :D :D

St. Ivender
01-03-2003, 05:29 PM
All the predictions are an educated crap shoot anyway. I buy the mag every year to see where my favorite teams are ranked (or not ranked) and to see who the enemy has on their roster. These are the first negative comments I have ever heard about DCTF.

audasmom7
01-05-2003, 06:20 PM
I have to agree with old cardinal.. Were's Bandera? Where's Greenwood? That rag never gives west texas teams any respect.. We will see what ole Dave come's up with next year.. But alot of people outhere dont even reconize our division.

Rangers... Do you know us now?

TarponFanInNorthTexas
01-05-2003, 06:57 PM
I have to agree. Dave Campbell's Top 10 always seems to be a "who's who of Regions 2 and 3". He gives very little respect, if any, to South Texas teams (he HAD to with Sinton) and hardly gives any to West Texas teams.

To the Greenwood fans, don't be surprised at all if Dave Campbell doesn't put you in next year's pre-season Top 10. If he does....then it'll be a shocker! Then again, he'll probably put you in 10th just because of the season you had this year.

Reason why I say 10th is because Dave Campbell did something very much like that to Port Isabel the season after I graduated. If anybody here has copies of "the bible" for the 1994 and 1995 football seasons, read the beginning part of the 3A section where he goes over each region and it's top teams, etc. (in the 1995 copy, you'll actually see where he says "oops" in response to not giving PI a Top 10 ranking prior to the 1994 season (my senior year) Just a little something that'll make us "D/FW Conspiracy Theorists" go "hmmmm". :D

LVqb04
01-05-2003, 07:10 PM
Sorry Old Card, but check your math again. 7 out of 25 is equal to 28%, not 36%.

Ranger Mom
01-05-2003, 11:45 PM
Well, in my always humble opinion, I don't care about anyone's rankings!! Depending on the 5 polls I followed this season, Greenwood was (before play-offs) ranked anywhere from #2 to #27. My husband buys the Dave Campbell Magazine as soon as it's out for the in depth coverage of the teams - not for their projected rankings. If we get recognition next year, that's great. If we don't, we will keep plodding along as usual. I think the whole ranking business is a bunch of crapola anyway. It means NOTHING - as Bandera and Greenwood proved this year!!

Bandera YaYa
01-07-2003, 03:36 PM
I'm with you, Ranger Mom. What's a Dave Campbell anyway?....I don't think I subscribe to that one...is it like "Cosmopolitan"? Anyways, the only thing polls are good for is the "after my team loses" chatter on sites like this one....am I not right? I doubt Bandera was even mentioned in this Campbell thing....but he probably makes a killing on publishing his worthless opinions, so ya'll just keep on buying it!! Back to Ranger Mom...wanted to let you know that we toasted(or was it roasted?) you at BULLDOGFAN's annual New year's Eve bash....he retold the story of your late nite journey back to Midland, red condiments and all..some reveliers didn't think it was true(of course they could hardly stand up at that point)but I told them you only speak the truth! Anyway, it was one of the highlights of the evening...right up there with the lap dancing and flaming paintball guns....no, lol.. really, we kept it clean...had some damn good shrimp and gumbo tho....thanks BULLDOGFAN!! Nothing beats dancing naked around a spitting bonfire, while singing "We Are The Champions"!!! Was quite a site to behold!! No,.... of course we were not naked...but it does make for a better story...at least I don't think we were....Hope everyone has a "Happy New Year"!!!!!!!!!! Ranger Mom, you are the best!!!

Bandera YaYa
01-07-2003, 03:38 PM
oh yeah...Ya Ya!!!