PDA

View Full Version : Bowen avoids suspension

Adidas410s
05-14-2007, 03:33 PM
N ANTONIO -- While Bruce Bowen's aggressive defensive style remains under the league's microscope, the San Antonio Spurs guard will not be suspended for Monday night's Game 4 against the Suns.

Bowen
Bowen's knee to Steve Nash's groin in Game 3, originally whistled during the game as a personal foul, has been upgraded by the league to a Flagrant Foul 1, a league spokesman said. But that decision results in neither a fine nor a suspension for Bowen, who said at the Spurs' Monday morning shootaround that he has apologized to Nash.

"The reaction of the bench, it's easy to say, 'Oh, that was calculated on his behalf because of who it is.' But I have too much respect for Steve, two-time MVP, a great player, I have respect for him and I wouldn't do anything like that," Bowen said. "It's just part of the game, I think, that you have to be man enough at times, when you do something and it's not the right thing that you've done, you have to be man enough to say, 'Hey, I'm sorry for that.' That's all it was, in the spirit of competition."

The Spurs lead the best-of-seven Western Conference semifinal series 2-1.

Meanwhile, in the Warriors-Jazz Western semifinal, Baron Davis' elbow on Derek Fisher is under review but Jason Richardson's foul on Mehmet Okur is not being looked at for further punishment. Richardson's foul will remain classified a Flagrant Foul 2.

Players get points that can lead to suspensions for flagrant fouls. Bowen's is one point on his record, Richardson's is two points.

Bowen continues to be widely watched. The league decided to conduct a full investigation into Saturday's incident after declining to do so when Bowen was accused of intentionally kicking Amare Stoudemire in Game 2.

Stoudemire called Bowen and Manu Ginobili "dirty" players after the Game 2 tangle, in which Bowen admitted he "did clip" Stoudemire from behind on a dunk, but Nash has consistently refused to voice any public displeasure with Bowen's physical play, which the Suns believe was a factor in Nash's 0-for-9 shooting in the first half in Game 3.

On the play in question, Bowen pivoted in an attempt to clear space in the first minute of the second half and landed his knee between Nash's legs. Bowen insisted later that he apologized to Nash immediately.

Bowen told the San Antonio Express-News: "I said to him, 'Now, Steve, you know I didn't try to knee you there,' and he said, 'Yeah, absolutely, Bruce,' and we gave each other five."

In explaining what happened, Bowen said: "He was crowding me, and in this game you're taught to get people off of you. If someone is taking up your space, you have nothing to do. But with all the stuff that is going on with [me], I'm sure that will end up on YouTube."

How the Suns respond from a physicality standpoint to their 108-101 defeat in Game 3 has become the major story line of the series for the two active playoff teams with the best regular-season records.

JasperDog94
05-14-2007, 03:36 PM
Originally posted by Adidas410s
In explaining what happened, Bowen said: "He was crowding me, and in this game you're taught to get people off of you. If someone is taking up your space, you have nothing to do. So I guess that every player Bowen guards is now allowed to knee him in the crotch to "get some space"?

SintonFan
05-14-2007, 03:37 PM
Rofl!
A few years ago, the Spurs were looked at
as soft...
my my my how times have changed.:rolleyes:

DU_stud04
05-14-2007, 03:48 PM
the spurs are a bunch of stupid thugs:mad: :mad: :mad:

:D go spurs!:D

Maroon87
05-14-2007, 03:52 PM
Originally posted by SintonFan
Rofl!
A few years ago, the Spurs were looked at
as soft...
my my my how times have changed.:rolleyes:

Exactly.

3afan
05-14-2007, 04:01 PM
the knee to the groin didnt look intentional to me .....

his reputation as ace defender is slipping some with these allegations ...... since he was looked at for jump shooters constantly landing on his feet that does not happen anymore - that right there should tell you something

JasperDog94
05-14-2007, 04:05 PM
Originally posted by 3afan
...... since he was looked at for jump shooters constantly landing on his feet that does not happen anymore - that right there should tell you something oops...better find another way of intimidating my opponents....ohhh I know, tripping them on their way to the basket.....crap, now they're looking at that too....ohhhhh, I've got it, a shot to the groin.:evilgrin: :evilgrin: :evilgrin:

Pmoney
05-14-2007, 06:22 PM
well hes a dirty player...hes had incidents with A. Stoud., S. Nash, V. Carter, R. Allen, a toronto player, and S. Francis...you dont get that many incidents with good "d"...you get it by playing dirty "d"

DUKE22
05-14-2007, 06:32 PM
Boy times have changed. I think he is a bit dirty too, but I would love to have him play for any team I liked. Remember the Pistons of the late 80's used to clothsline people, they had a set of rules designed to knock the crap out of one player.

JR2004
05-14-2007, 07:24 PM
It seems like the only way to stop this moron is for someone to go after him...With the Suns though that isn't likely because they're a pretty soft team outside of Bell. I guess at least this hack is getting up there in age so hopefully he just won't be in the league too much longer. I'd like to see Bowen actually take a cheap shot at someone bigger than him that will retaliate. I'd like to see him attempt this crap on someone like Artest or Kwame Brown that could throw him through a wall.

The NBA is setting an awful precedent right now though with this. Basically this ruling, or lack thereof, gives free reign to anyone who wants to commit similar acts. I guess it'll take another big fight that starts over something like this before that weasel masquerading as a commissioner does something.