PDA

View Full Version : This is why it sucks to have urban schools in your district!

BullFrog Dad
05-14-2007, 09:27 AM
Lake Worth got smashed last week(11-0/9-2) by Whitesboro who finished third in their district for baseball. Was LW that bad? No. They returned just about the whole team that went three rounds deep in the playoffs last year. Here's what happened. The long layoff due to a 1st round bye didn't help. The real reason is because outside of Castleberry the other teams in our district shouldn't even have a baseball program. We hung 25 runs on Madison, Ranchview, and Roosevelt with no problem. Diamond Hill wasn't much better. After that Pony League schedule our boys couldn't adjust back to real HS baseball. It seems that urban schools put everything into track and ignore baseball as far as spring sports.

Bubba-Joe
05-14-2007, 09:49 AM
Who was on the Lake worth pre district schedule?
and what was the record against those schools?

injuredinmelee
05-14-2007, 09:51 AM
I dotn think youi can attribute it to just thm beig urban schools. True participation in the urban areas for the sport are low but Wylie plays in a district that seldom has any real competition. Every once in awhile there might be a school that has a great year. With Snyder out of the district this season it made for a pretty hoo-hum district schedule.

injuredinmelee
05-14-2007, 09:51 AM
hey and at elast your team didnt give up 29 runs in a game like one of the Waco schools. Was that game played at a little league field?

Adidas410s
05-14-2007, 09:52 AM
Who did LW play as a practice game during their bye? Why not blame the coach for not having his kids ready to play??? :thinking:

injuredinmelee
05-14-2007, 09:55 AM
Did LW play in a warm-up series? If so who did they play?

pirate4state
05-14-2007, 09:57 AM
Or maybe they weren't any good to begin with? :thinking:

Rabbit'93
05-14-2007, 09:57 AM
LW should've used wood bats.

Bull Butter
05-14-2007, 10:20 AM
CC Moody is urban
Bellaire is urban

Doesn't seem to hurt them much

KTJ
05-14-2007, 10:33 AM
Originally posted by BullFrog Dad
Lake Worth got smashed last week(11-0/9-2) by Whitesboro who finished third in their district for baseball. Was LW that bad? No. They returned just about the whole team that went three rounds deep in the playoffs last year. Here's what happened. The long layoff due to a 1st round bye didn't help. The real reason is because outside of Castleberry the other teams in our district shouldn't even have a baseball program. We hung 25 runs on Madison, Ranchview, and Roosevelt with no problem. Diamond Hill wasn't much better. After that Pony League schedule our boys couldn't adjust back to real HS baseball. It seems that urban schools put everything into track and ignore baseball as far as spring sports.

Please tell me this post is some sort of joke....

Txbroadcaster
05-14-2007, 10:37 AM
Forney in 3A had the "urban" teams in their district and then one or two terrible "rural" teams as well

They would front load their schedule with 5A and 4A schools to get their competition in and then some monster warm up games as well. Never seem to hurt them

eagles_victory
05-14-2007, 10:39 AM
Originally posted by injuredinmelee
hey and at elast your team didnt give up 29 runs in a game like one of the Waco schools. Was that game played at a little league field? we shut out Hudson in the first playoff game and then they got 29 on another team i was pretty suprised. Robinson isnt an urban school either and thats a really good baseball district it produced the state champ in Lorena a few years back

Bull Butter
05-14-2007, 10:42 AM
I think he's bemoaning the fact that they are in a weak district and it didn't get them ready for the playoffs.

Falfurrias comes from one of the weakest districts in the state (31-AAA). They outscored their district opponents 75-8. Anyone think Fal's not ready for the playoffs?????????

jason
05-14-2007, 11:00 AM
Originally posted by Txbroadcaster
Forney in 3A had the "urban" teams in their district and then one or two terrible "rural" teams as well

They would front load their schedule with 5A and 4A schools to get their competition in and then some monster warm up games as well. Never seem to hurt them they played navarro junior college for a warm up series one year...

pirate4state
05-14-2007, 11:10 AM
Originally posted by Bull Butter
I think he's bemoaning the fact that they are in a weak district and it didn't get them ready for the playoffs.

Falfurrias comes from one of the weakest districts in the state (31-AAA). They outscored their district opponents 75-8. Anyone think Fal's not ready for the playoffs????????? Exactly! Which is why I'm thinking they just weren't very good to begin with! If you are a good team, regardless of your district, you are going to be able to or should be able to compete in the playoffs, IMO!

SintonFan
05-14-2007, 12:19 PM
Falfurrias is urban?:eek:

jason
05-14-2007, 12:22 PM
Originally posted by pirate4state
Exactly! Which is why I'm thinking they just weren't very good to begin with! If you are a good team, regardless of your district, you are going to be able to or should be able to compete in the playoffs, IMO! i agree - getting beat 11-0/9-2 isnt a fluke - a worse team might edge out one win in a 3 game series, but to blow a team out like that 2 games in a row, to me, shows superiority...maybe lw was just the best bad team from a bunch of horrible teams...

Bull Butter
05-14-2007, 12:59 PM
Originally posted by SintonFan
Falfurrias is urban?:eek:

Yes, beautiful downtown Falfurrias:)

JR2004
05-14-2007, 01:31 PM
We hung 25 runs on Madison, Ranchview, and Roosevelt with no problem.

I tell ya what...Madison, Ranchview and Roosevelt will get rid of their baseball programs just as soon as Lake Worth and Castleberry get rid of their basketball programs. You're darn lucky each of the coaches at those schools don't like to run up the score in that sport or they could've won those games by 60-80 points each time out against Castleberry and your boys.

BILLYFRED0000
05-14-2007, 02:09 PM

I think your real problem is matchup. Maybe Whitesboro comes from a pretty strong district and you have a weak one. That works in any sport.

Matthew328
05-14-2007, 10:50 PM
Granted Madison, Ranchview and Roosevelt aren't that good in baseball..but those scores arent flukes...Lake Worth should have scheduled some tough 4A games in non-district and played a warm up series against a good team...

Lots of urban schools do quite well in baseball...Arlington Heights, Southwest, Western Hills, and Eastern Hills are all very strong in baseball...

Fal44
05-14-2007, 11:29 PM
Originally posted by Bull Butter
Yes, beautiful downtown Falfurrias:)

:clap: :clap: lol, I guess we can be called urban, when your school is right next to the projects and the hood...

SintonFan
05-15-2007, 01:30 AM
Originally posted by Fal44
:clap: :clap: lol, I guess we can be called urban, when your school is right next to the projects and the hood...
My best memories hunting came from hunting deer between San Diego and Falfurrias.:)