PDA

View Full Version : Gotta love Phil Mickelson

Adidas410s
05-14-2007, 09:06 AM
This note from Golf.com;

A party of 16 gathered at Ruth's Chris steakhouse just around the corner from the front gate of TPC Sawgrass after Thursday's first round.They were there to celebrate the birthday of Jim (Bones) MacKay, Phil Mickelson's longtime caddie.

Among the celebrants was Joe LaCava, Fred Couples' usual caddie, working for Stephen Marino this week; Scott Tway, Bob's brother and Scott Verplank's caddie; and of course Mickelson himself.The mood was festive and the Champagne and wine were flowing freely. To go with dinner Mickelson ordered a $900 bottle of Chateau Lafite.

Finally the bill came; the damage was $5,400, including a bar bill of around $4,000. Mickelson plunked down his black AmEx, and when it was returned to him signed the bill with a little something for the waitress, a mother of two.

The gratuity: $2,000.

Maroon87
05-14-2007, 09:09 AM
Quite the Mother's Day gift!:clap:

CenTexSports
05-14-2007, 09:10 AM
That's nothing. Sean O'Hare threw $500,000 into the lake on #17 Sunday afternoon because he wasn't playing for second place.

Snyder_TigerFan
05-14-2007, 09:10 AM
I like Phil. What I don't like is how he wins a tournament and the announcers start praising him and comparing him to Tiger.

It will be interesting to see how much he will improve with Harmon as his swing coach.

Gsquared
05-14-2007, 09:11 AM
Originally posted by Adidas410s
This note from Golf.com;

A party of 16 gathered at Ruth's Chris steakhouse just around the corner from the front gate of TPC Sawgrass after Thursday's first round.They were there to celebrate the birthday of Jim (Bones) MacKay, Phil Mickelson's longtime caddie.

Among the celebrants was Joe LaCava, Fred Couples' usual caddie, working for Stephen Marino this week; Scott Tway, Bob's brother and Scott Verplank's caddie; and of course Mickelson himself.The mood was festive and the Champagne and wine were flowing freely. To go with dinner Mickelson ordered a $900 bottle of Chateau Lafite.

Finally the bill came; the damage was $5,400, including a bar bill of around $4,000. Mickelson plunked down his black AmEx, and when it was returned to him signed the bill with a little something for the waitress, a mother of two.

The gratuity: $2,000.
Phil shoulda gave her a $ 500 tip and saved the rest for a breast reduction

Snyder_TigerFan
05-14-2007, 09:11 AM
Originally posted by CenTexSports
That's nothing. Sean O'Hare threw $500,000 into the lake on #17 Sunday afternoon because he wasn't playing for second place.

:clap: :clap: Poor guy.

Adidas410s
05-14-2007, 09:29 AM

:(

injuredinmelee
05-14-2007, 09:45 AM

I dotn think you can fault O'Hair for going for the flag on 17. No one palys for second place when they are within 2 strokes. It isnt like Mickelson has the greatest history of holding onto leads. O'Hair did the right thing. We can look back on it and criticize the decision now but would you want to settle for second place?

Adidas410s
05-14-2007, 09:50 AM
Originally posted by injuredinmelee
I dotn think you can fault O'Hair for going for the flag on 17. No one palys for second place when they are within 2 strokes. It isnt like Mickelson has the greatest history of holding onto leads. O'Hair did the right thing. We can look back on it and criticize the decision now but would you want to settle for second place?

The first time he HAD to go at the flag to try and birdie (assuming Phil makes par) to get the lead to 1 on a dangerous 18th hole with water left. Now as to his second shot into the water...that one doesn't make sense.... :(q

Snyder_TigerFan
05-14-2007, 09:53 AM
I would think a 9 iron would be to much for most people. I can't believe he used a 9.

CenTexSports
05-14-2007, 09:54 AM
I don't believe that he thought the shot through correctly. Over the last few holes, he had missed everything right plus he was pumped going into the last two holes. If he shoots at the right center of the green with a PW, the worst case is he has a thirty footer for birdie. Best case, he pushes it a little and he has a shorter birdie put. Either way, he remains one or two back with the hardest hole on the course left with a chance to win and second or a tie for second his worse outcome.

For $500,000 I think I play for a sure thing and leave myself hope for a tie and a playoff. If it was the 17th hole anywhere else, I might shoot directly at the flag but under the circumstances not at that particular time.

injuredinmelee
05-14-2007, 10:12 AM
after last years collapse by Phil by not playing it safe i think Sean knew that Phil was goign to take a par on 17 and he had to shoot at the flag to try and give himself a chance to get even at 18. It was a stretch but thats why some guys are winners and some guys just play to collect a check.