PDA

View Full Version : Congrats to Andrew Hernandez

Ray_BearKat
05-13-2007, 02:31 AM
Great job at the state meet....winning the 800 just like his older brother a few years ago. :clap: :clap:

congrats to all the Kats that were at the meet as well...

Fal44
05-13-2007, 07:02 AM
congrats, way to rep 31-3a

scrub c
05-13-2007, 07:17 AM
was an awesome race, especially since he had the slowest qualifying time... He did what you need to do in that situation, let it all hang out and see if it stands up, if it dont, you had nothing to lose...

Was that a PR? (something like 3 or 4 seconds faster than regional time)

Congrats on a gutsy run.

Ray_BearKat
05-13-2007, 02:22 PM
Gold standard: Raymondville’s Hernandez shines in 800

By ELADIO JAIMEZ/Valley Morning Star

AUSTIN — It was like déjà vu all over again for Bobbie Contreras and Oscar Sarmiento.
Contreras and Sarmiento saw their oldest son, Adam (AJ) win a gold medal for the Raymondville Bearkats in the 800-meter run at the UIL State Track and Field Championships in 2005.
It was truly a race to remember, as Adam hustled his way to the gutsy win in the last 100 meters.
On Saturday, their youngest son, Andrew Hernandez, gave the proud parents and Bearkats family another memorable moment at Mike A. Myers Stadium.
Andrew ran neck-and-neck with Fort Stockton’s Samuel Franklin down the last 10 meters, but held on to win gold and the state championship in the 800 with a time of 1:55.94. Franklin was second in 1:55.96. It was a new personal best for Hernandez who ran a 1:59 this season and a 1:58 last year.
“I can’t describe how I feel right now,” Hernandez said. “I didn’t expect to win. I hoped to medal. But there was no pressure. I just didn’t want to finish last.”
And he was in dead last after the first 300 meters. Around the 350-meter mark, Hernandez moved out as far as lane four and passed the group near the starting line.
Hernandez then built a sizeable lead in the back straight away drawing concerns from his coaches.
“He couldn’t see the field,” Raymondville head coach Tony Neimeir said. “He couldn’t see if the rest of the field would make a move.”
They tried, but it didn’t work.
Franklin had a nice burst in the last 50 meters that pushed him into second but Franklin just couldn’t pass Hernandez. Another half meter, however, and Franklin would have taken over the lead.
“I gave it everything,” Hernandez said. “I turned around and could hear footsteps. If he passed me he deserved it.”
Franklin didn’t pass him and Hernandez can now hang his gold medal next to his big brothers’.
After the race Hernandez admitted that he felt pressure to also win gold in Austin. The pressure didn’t come from his parents or brother. It came from himself, mostly.
“It was more of a mental thing for me,” Hernandez said. “I think a lot. And before the race I was thinking about my time. I had the worse time coming in but my family and friends were here to support me.”
Contreras and Sarmiento took photos with their state champion after the race. They both wore ear-to-ear grins as proudly as Hernandez wore the shiny gold medallion around his neck.
“We owe it all to God,” Sarmiento said. “We pray a lot that they (their children) stay healthy. Winning is just an added bonus. Now we have two state champions at home.”
Notes: Carlo Dominguez finished in seventh place in the triple jump with a mark of 43 feet, 7 inches. Pittsburg’s Kendall Wright won gold with a jump of 48-5¼ and Hutto’s Jeremy Kerley was second with a 48-4¼…Teammate David Rodriguez finished sixth in the shot put with a toss of 51-4. Hayden Baillio of Whitesboro won gold with a mark of 59-4…Raymondville’s Dustin Alejo finished seventh in the 200 in a time of 22.05. Abilene Wylie’s Gray Edwards was first in 21.31…Raymondville’s 400 relay finished last in a time of 43.00. The Bearkats mile relay also finished last in a time of 3:28.12…Port Isabel’s Scot McGallicher was eighth in the 100 with a time of 11.19…Santa Rosa’s Fernando Ruiz was eighth in the 100 with a time of 11.11 and teammate Joseph Rodriguez was also last in the pole vault with a height of 12-6.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Photo Cutline:
Raymondville’s Andrew Hernandez crosses the finish line ahead of Lytle’s Jeremy Juarez to take gold in the Class 3A 800-meter race Saturday at the UIL State Track & Field Championships. Juarez finished third, just behind Fort Stockton’s Samuel Franklin, who won silver.

http://www.valleymorningstar.com/pictures/1179051708-s1.gif

Ray_BearKat
05-13-2007, 02:24 PM
Precious Mettle: ’Kats’ Hernandez golden
Oscar Gonzalez Jr.
May 12, 2007 - 11:37PM

AUSTIN — Andrew Hernandez said the only thing he was hoping for Saturday was not to finish last. Less than two minutes after the gun sounded for the 800-meter run, Hernandez greatly exceeded his goal.

The Raymondville senior fell behind all runners during the early going before turning on the afterburners and hanging on for a victory in the 800 at the University Interscholastic League State Track & Field Championships at Mike A. Myers Stadium.

“I just didn’t want to get last,” Hernandez said. “That’s all I was thinking about … don’t get last.”

Hernandez highlighted the two-day sub-5A Valley competition, as he recorded the only gold medal of the group. The road to the 3A state title wasn’t easy, however.

It was a rags-to-riches story for the standout, as Hernandez went into the race with the slowest qualifying time of the eight competitors. The desire to make a good showing and not finish dead last, however, pushed the senior to full gear for two laps.

After moving from the eighth spot to the top after the first 400 meters, it appeared that Hernandez was going to burn too much energy to have a kick at the end of the race. Hernandez appeared to be laboring after 500 meters and didn’t look like he could pull off the final 300 meters.

“Me, too,” Hernandez replied to those who thought he might have overspent himself to get the lead. “I didn’t know why I did that.”

Hernandez said, however, that he was aware he didn’t have the best shot to win or even medal. Because of that he didn’t want to be tentative for the final lap.

“I didn’t want to run the race and leave anything behind,” he said.

Hernandez maintained his position through the final turn and fended off late attacks to clock in at 1 minute, 55.94 seconds.

“I was just hoping to finish,” Hernandez joked about his thinking during the race. “I was just hoping to medal. I didn’t let the pressure get to me.”

But certainly there was pressure.

Samuel Franklin of Fort Stockton put some heat on Hernandez late in the race before finishing a fraction of a second behind the Raymondville senior at 1:55.96. Jeremy Juarez of Lytle was third at 1:56.48.

The victory marked the first gold medal for the Valley during the two-day weekend. Mercedes runners Alex Treviño and Robert Najera, and Mission High’s Noe Hernandez all won bronze medals during Friday’s competition.

While Hernandez was able to cap off the season and his career with a gold medal, it wasn’t a banner day for many other Valley athletes competing in sub-5A events.

Raymondville, which had the biggest Valley contingent with eight Bearkats making the trip to Austin, saw its sprint relay squad finish eighth in the 3A race at mid-afternoon, clocking in at 43.0.

Raymondville’s Carlo Dominguez and David Rodriguez competed in the triple jump and shot put, respectively. Dominguez finished seventh in the triple jump with a 43-7. Rodriguez was sixth in the shot put with a 51-4.

Dominguez later ran the third leg of the 1,600 relay, along with Hernandez, finishing eighth with a 3:28.12.

Santa Rosa sophomore Joseph Rodriguez was knocked out of the running in the long jump after failing to clear 13-0. His personal best was a 13-6 recorded two weeks earlier at the Region IV-2A meet in San Marcos.

Senior teammate Fernando Ruiz finished eighth in the 100 in 11.11. Johnny Coleman of Maypearl was first at 10.69. Port Isabel’s Scott McGallicher also was eighth in the 3A race in 11.19.

———

Oscar Gonzalez Jr. is the Sports Editor of The Monitor. You can reach him at (956) 683-4443.

http://www.themonitor.com/pictures/1179031086-trackmain250.jpg
Raymondville’s Andrew Hernandez, in blue, accelerates toward the finish line to hold onto his lead and win the gold medal in the Class 3A 800-meter run Saturday at the University Interscholastic League State Track & Field Championships in Austin.
Alex Jones/The Monitor