PDA

View Full Version : Farmers Branch Approves Immigration Law

JR2004
05-12-2007, 11:34 PM
CONVINCINGLY...Thank the Good Lord this went through. I'm sure this is going to go back to court, but it'll eventually be the law in Farmers Branch.

www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/news/politics/local/stories/051307dnmetfarmersbranch.621241fe.html

mchavez
05-13-2007, 12:32 AM
My mother lives in farmers branch and so did i last semester. I remember when the mayor's home was vandalized; however i don't believe it was mexicans as this article makes it seem. The person/persons that vandalized the home misspelled "viva mexico" which most like means it wasn't a hispanic.

I agree with this ordinance but sometimes these guys take it too far. I can recall when one of the council men wanted all restaurants with spanish names to be banned.

What's next, banning taco bell? What are they going to call a burrito?

BullFrog Dad
05-14-2007, 07:18 AM
Apparently Farmers Branch does not care for Hispanics.Texas town's English ordinance has teeth
Anti-English activists almost always use the same argument in their efforts to stop states, cities, and other jurisdictions from passing official English laws: such laws they say are merely symbolic and have no practical effect, so why bother.
But now the Texas town of Farmers Branch near Dallas is demonstrating the practical effect that an official English ordinance can have when government officials actually enforce it. Local residents have noticed a number of changes since last fall when Councilman Tim O'Hare persuaded the city council to adopt a carefully worded ordinance making English the official language of Farmers Branch.
The city's garbage collection schedule for holidays and fliers advertising events at the city library are now printed exclusively in English. Spanish no longer blares from television sets overlooking treadmills and stationary bicycles at the Farmers Branch Community Recreation Center. And notices and informational pamphlets printed by the City's parks and recreation department are now printed exclusively in English, instead of Spanish and English as they were previously.
Meanwhile the City continues to print and disseminate information important to public health and safety in Spanish as well as English, as the ordinance allows. And since the ordinance passed, many of the claims circulated by the measure's opponents have been shown to be false. For example some local Catholic leaders had said that they would be forced to discontinue holding Mass in Spanish if the measure passed. But Mass continues to be celebrated in Spanish as well as English, just as before.

JR2004
05-14-2007, 08:53 AM
I wonder which Texas town will be the next one to adopt similar ordinances. It's good to see that a local government has stepped up in an area where the federal government has completely and utterly failed.

zeus63
05-14-2007, 09:51 AM
Originally posted by mchavez
My mother lives in farmers branch and so did i last semester. I remember when the mayor's home was vandalized; however i don't believe it was mexicans as this article makes it seem. The person/persons that vandalized the home misspelled "viva mexico" which most like means it wasn't a hispanic.

So you are saying that Spanish speakers don't misspell words? I'm not taking one side or the other, but that is a pretty thin argument.

pirate44
05-14-2007, 09:53 AM
Originally posted by mchavez

I agree with this ordinance but sometimes these guys take it too far. I can recall when one of the council men wanted all restaurants with spanish names to be banned.

What's next, banning taco bell? What are they going to call a burrito?
you just mispelled "likely" but i'm not coming to the conclusion that you aren't American. I'm sure there are at least a few Mexicans who can't spell.

pirate44
05-14-2007, 09:53 AM
Originally posted by zeus63
So you are saying that Spanish speakers don't misspell words? I'm not taking one side or the other, but that is a pretty thin argument.
LOL..you beat me to it.:D

footballgal
05-14-2007, 10:53 PM
Originally posted by JR2004
CONVINCINGLY...Thank the Good Lord this went through. I'm sure this is going to go back to court, but it'll eventually be the law in Farmers Branch.

So, now God is partial?

Matthew328
05-14-2007, 11:38 PM
I agree with the law...its called Illegal Immigration for a reason....its illegal....not much else to argue....

footballgal
05-14-2007, 11:55 PM
Originally posted by Matthew328
I agree with the law...its called Illegal Immigration for a reason....its illegal....not much else to argue....
Yes, it is against the law.

jason
05-15-2007, 12:25 AM
i saw a news report that said people who were against this wanted to let voters decide because they were confident it would get voted down - now that the vote has taken place, and it passed, they will take the decision to court...

JR2004
05-15-2007, 01:16 AM
Originally posted by footballgal
So, now God is partial?

I'm thanking the Good Lord for seeing this one through. Send every last illegal immigrant back to whatever country it is they came from. They're not here legally and THEY DON'T BELONG HERE.

And for the morons who are going to take this to court. They're just completely shameful...They got what they wanted and got a vote. They didn't get the result they wanted so now it's onto more legal proceedings to try and protect these illegal immigrants. I just don't get these tools one bit who are so gung-ho about helping people who are here illegally instead of doing something to help folks who actually belong in this country and came here the right way.

loboes86
05-15-2007, 05:57 AM
Originally posted by pirate44
you just mispelled "likely" but i'm not coming to the conclusion that you aren't American. I'm sure there are at least a few Mexicans who can't spell. There was just a thread on here about 40,000 seniors failing the taks test, I wonder how many of them were hispanic.

Matthew328
05-15-2007, 06:55 AM
Originally posted by loboes86
There was just a thread on here about 40,000 seniors failing the taks test, I wonder how many of them were hispanic.

That's a bit out of line and not really the subject of the thread.....

Phil C
05-15-2007, 08:24 AM
I'm against having foreigners in our western movies and tv programs. I have seen them from Chinese, Russians, France, German, Ireland, Argentina and Italy. But the worse ones are the ones they have as shown below that are really annoying!
Someone should send the ones like the one below back where they came from!

http://www.art-export.com/handicraft/indian/american_indian_11/indian_106_a_small.jpg

;) :D (A Joke)

Phil C
05-15-2007, 08:32 AM
I hated to put the joke at the end of my prior post but I didn't want anyone to misunderstand that it was not to be taken seriously except at an attempt for humor.

Adidas410s
05-15-2007, 09:12 AM
Originally posted by Phil C
I hated to put the joke at the end of my prior post but I didn't want anyone to misunderstand that it was not to be taken seriously except at an attempt for humor.

:mad: ;)