PDA

View Full Version : More than 40,000 seniors fail TAKS test

kaorder1999
05-11-2007, 04:27 PM
More than 40,000 seniors fail TAKS test 4:12 PM CDT

04:13 PM CDT on Friday, May 11, 2007
By TERRENCE STUTZ / The Dallas Morning News
tstutz@dallasnews.com

AUSTIN – Nearly one of every six high school seniors – a record 40,182 students from the Class of 2007 – won't get a diploma this month after failing to pass all sections of the state's high school graduation test, the Texas Education Agency reported Friday.

Minority students were hit hardest by the test requirement. About one in four black and Hispanic seniors were unable to make the grade and won't receive diplomas during graduation ceremonies scheduled across the state over the next few weeks.

The high number of failures may give the Legislature more incentive to pass a bill that would scrap the graduation test and replace it with a series of end-of-course exams taken throughout high school. The bill, which has already passed the Senate and is awaiting action by the House, is expected to allow more students to pass and get their diplomas.

State education officials attributed the poor showing to a higher passing standard that was phased in on the Texas Assessment of Knowledge and Skills this year, requiring students to answer more questions correctly than in previous years. Students were tested in four subjects – English, math, science and social studies.

"We know that it is heartbreaking for students to miss graduating with their class," state Education Commissioner Shirley Neeley said. "I know the immediate concern deals with commencement activities, but students also need to keep their eye on the ultimate goal: earning a high school diploma.

"I encourage all students who still need to pass one or more parts of the TAKS to retake the test this summer."

The commissioner also encouraged failing students and their parents to check with their high schools to see if they can still participate in graduation ceremonies. Students who pass all of their courses but fail the TAKS can receive certificates of attendance.

Scores were generally up on the TAKS at other grade levels this spring, particularly in the seventh grade, where 70 percent of students passed all sections of the exam – up from 64 percent last year. Those students will be the first group required to pass the eighth-grade TAKS next year to be promoted to the ninth grade.

Statewide, about 3 million public school students took the TAKS test this year.

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
05-11-2007, 04:31 PM
The TAKS test was the biggest joke while I was in HS. My friends and I would race to see who would finish first, and we would get finished in 30 minutes or less and get commended performance on them. I have no sympathy for the people who failed it, the test isn't even hard and is more of a formality than anything else. The people who failed have nobody to blame but themselves.

Bull19
05-11-2007, 04:40 PM
Originally posted by BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
The TAKS test was the biggest joke while I was in HS. My friends and I would race to see who would finish first, and we would get finished in 30 minutes or less and get commended performance on them. I have no sympathy for the people who failed it, the test isn't even hard and is more of a formality than anything else. The people who failed have nobody to blame but themselves.

AGREED 100% the test is a joke...99% of the people who fail it are the ones who dont care about their education and shouldnt even be in school to begin with.

carter08
05-11-2007, 04:42 PM
We only have 6 Seniors who aren't going to walk because of TAKS.

The Sceince test was a little difficult, but more than likely I passed everything on my first try and got 3 Commendeds. And hopefully a second straight perfect score on Social Studies

turbostud
05-11-2007, 06:09 PM
High School is easy. I didnt even apply myself and still got A's, B's, and an occasional C or two. Had I applied myself and not been a knucklehead I would have been the class valedictorian.

HM33
05-11-2007, 07:22 PM
this is plum rediculous.. those test are a push over... if you can't pass you should have to stay in school for another 2 years.. lol

mustang04
05-11-2007, 07:33 PM
Originally posted by kaorder1999
More than 40,000 seniors fail TAKS test 4:12 PM CDT

04:13 PM CDT on Friday, May 11, 2007
By TERRENCE STUTZ / The Dallas Morning News
tstutz@dallasnews.com

Minority students were hit hardest by the test requirement. About one in four black and Hispanic seniors were unable to make the grade and won't receive diplomas during graduation ceremonies scheduled across the state over the next few weeks.

uh oh.....they might start calling the founders of the TAKS racist!!!! better watch out!!!!

mustang04
05-11-2007, 07:39 PM
i have NO sympathy for anyone who fails this...

even tho we didn't have the TAKS my senior year....we had to take the test so they could get an idea to how hard to amke it or w/e....but i have a grudge about highschool anyways.....a girl who was in my senior class made a 20 or 21 on her ACT....she was like number 4 or 5 in our class cuz she took easy classes which gave her better grades.....i made a 30 on the ACT, but since so many ppl moved away my senior year it took me outta top ten percent...thus making Texas Tech cancel the scholarship they promised me even tho i took the hard classes and scored that on the ACT...the girl..well, she got academic scholarship cuz of being number 4 or 5.....so i hate the whole highschool system and i guess the colleges standards of giving scholarship

but then again.... i never studied either haha so i guess that is somewhat my fault...but still, that's not the point

DDBooger
05-11-2007, 07:54 PM
Originally posted by mustang04
uh oh.....they might start calling the founders of the TAKS racist!!!! better watch out!!!! dude no one said that, no need to be facetious. nobody says anything and now you wanna complain about what they MIGHT say!:rolleyes: guess ya can't make everyone happy:p

DU_stud04
05-11-2007, 08:42 PM

even tho we didn't have the TAKS my senior year....we had to take the test so they could get an idea to how hard to amke it or w/e....but i have a grudge about highschool anyways.....a girl who was in my senior class made a 20 or 21 on her ACT....she was like number 4 or 5 in our class cuz she took easy classes which gave her better grades.....i made a 30 on the ACT, but since so many ppl moved away my senior year it took me outta top ten percent...thus making Texas Tech cancel the scholarship they promised me even tho i took the hard classes and scored that on the ACT...the girl..well, she got academic scholarship cuz of being number 4 or 5.....so i hate the whole highschool system and i guess the colleges standards of giving scholarship

but then again.... i never studied either haha so i guess that is somewhat my fault...but still, that's not the point

i hate jokes like that

mustang04
05-11-2007, 08:58 PM
Originally posted by DDBooger
dude no one said that, no need to be facetious. nobody says anything and now you wanna complain about what they MIGHT say!:rolleyes: guess ya can't make everyone happy:p

haha....i was being SARCASTIC....you kinda need to simmer down!:D :D :D and they are the ones that aren't happy, cuz they are the ones that failed...i'm pretty happy right now...done with another semester of college and chilling enjoying the first few days of summer!

DDBooger
05-11-2007, 09:04 PM
haha....i was being SARCASTIC....you kinda need to simmer down!:D :D :D and they are the ones that aren't happy, cuz they are the ones that failed...i'm pretty happy right now...done with another semester of college and chilling enjoying the first few days of summer! not mad in the least, just think it was a lil uncalled for. if you don't pity them then don't sweat em! ;)and yes summer has started and im enjoying it with a beer and listening to my wildcats take the number 1 team in the state into extra innings on the verge of eliminating them! :)

mustang04
05-11-2007, 09:14 PM
not mad in the least, just think it was a lil uncalled for. if you don't pity them then don't sweat em! ;)and yes summer has started and im enjoying it with a beer and listening to my wildcats take the number 1 team in the state into extra innings on the verge of eliminating them! :)

a beer sounds pretty good...i think i'm about to head to the bar and have a whiskey sour, or 2...or 3.....lol good luck to your wildcats!

DDBooger
05-11-2007, 09:15 PM
a beer sounds pretty good...i think i'm about to head to the bar and have a whickey sour, or 2...or 3.....lol good luck to your wildcats! enjoy your whiskey sours bro! :cool:

mustang59
05-11-2007, 09:21 PM
The TAKS is one reason I didn't vote for Rick Perry. I've never spoken to a teacher or administrator who was in favor of it.
I know the test is easy for lots of students. The ones who struggle are generally those who have test anxiety. Can you imagine getting through 4 years of high school, passing all the required courses but failing to get your diploma because of TAKS? I do feel badly for those students In our district any student who doesn't pass the TAKS cannot participate in graduation ceremonies. It's time to get rid of TAKS.

DDBooger
05-11-2007, 09:27 PM
Originally posted by mustang59
The TAKS is one reason I didn't vote for Rick Perry. I've never spoken to a teacher or administrator who was in favor of it.
I know the test is easy for lots of students. The ones who struggle are generally those who have test anxiety. Can you imagine getting through 4 years of high school, passing all the required courses but failing to get your diploma because of TAKS? I do feel badly for those students In our district any student who doesn't pass the TAKS cannot participate in graduation ceremonies. It's time to get rid of TAKS. alot of my professors are complaining that these kids just starting college are very unprepared for college. calling it the "taks" generation

smustangs
05-11-2007, 09:27 PM

i agree its a bunch of bs if you fail i have no pity for anyone and no they shouldnt walk across the stage if they couldnt pass that test

Pudlugger
05-11-2007, 10:48 PM

That's cold man.

I thought liberals were supposed to be compassionate.

Maybe some students aren't as well prepared or as fortunate as others and therefore shouldn't be held to the same standards. /s.

smustangs
05-11-2007, 10:55 PM
Originally posted by Pudlugger
That's cold man.

I thought liberals were supposed to be compassionate.

Maybe some students aren't as well prepared or as fortunate as others and therefore shouldn't be held to the same standards. /s.

have you ever taken the taks test?

Pudlugger
05-11-2007, 10:55 PM

There is no question in my mind that K-12 is heavily biased towards girls in grades. Just look who is getting the honors every year. Boys are not as well adapted to the passive sit and learn environment as girls and are often at odds with the system. By middle school most are so down regulated and turned off that it is a wonder any graduate. Teachers are very biased towards girls, they feel they need their self esteem elevated after so many years of sexist male dominance in our society. Too bad for the boys they just need to learn to sit still and behave. /s

Pudlugger
05-11-2007, 11:05 PM
Originally posted by smustangs
have you ever taken the taks test?

No man, I graduated in 1964 when students either passed or failed period, that was before social promotion became the norm. If you were not astute enough to pass a simple knowledge assessment test like TAKS in my day you were out of the system early on. However, since more was expected of you fewer students failed. The problem is that public education has been seriously down regulated in the past 30 years and the results are now evident. The problem is systemic and until the entire education establishment, starting with the schools of education (a huge bad joke), are reformed expect the problem to worsen.

smustangs
05-11-2007, 11:07 PM
No man, I graduated in 1964 when students either passed or failed period, that was before social promotion became the norm. If you were not astute enough to pass a simple knowledge assessment test like TAKS in my day you were out of the system early on. However, since more was expected of you fewer students failed. The problem is that public education has been seriously down regulated in the past 30 years and the results are now evident. The problem is systemic and until the entire education establishment, starting with the schools of education (a huge bad joke), are reformed expect the problem to worsen.

im in the education program here at tsu and i dont really see a problem w/ the way we are taught its the tests like the taks that require a teacher to teach how to take a test and not be able to teach students material that will help them in life or actually teach students period. what exactly do you mean the schools of education are a bad joke explain that one

DDBooger
05-11-2007, 11:09 PM
No man, I graduated in 1964 when students either passed or failed period, that was before social promotion became the norm. If you were not astute enough to pass a simple knowledge assessment test like TAKS in my day you were out of the system early on. However, since more was expected of you fewer students failed. The problem is that public education has been seriously down regulated in the past 30 years and the results are now evident. The problem is systemic and until the entire education establishment, starting with the schools of education (a huge bad joke), are reformed expect the problem to worsen. im seeing it in school now. its shamefull how many kids in college can't write a damn research paper because they spent 4 years trying to pass a stupid test! i passed the TAAS my sophmore year and spent the rest of the time chillen! lol damn TAKS test is ridiculous.

SintonFan
05-11-2007, 11:10 PM
There is no question in my mind that K-12 is heavily biased towards girls in grades. Just look who is getting the honors every year. Boys are not as well adapted to the passive sit and learn environment as girls and are often at odds with the system. By middle school most are so down regulated and turned off that it is a wonder any graduate. Teachers are very biased towards girls, they feel they need their self esteem elevated after so many years of sexist male dominance in our society. Too bad for the boys they just need to learn to sit still and behave. /s
I had FIVE YEARS of teachers who begged me to put my son on Ritalin or whatever was the fashionable psychedelic "calm down" drug at the time. We refused and he eventually outgrew it. Thank goodness he had a teacher last year who really believed in him and a form of discipline that worked with him. Timeout for my child never worked, but this teacher really caught his attention and he excelled in academics and now his interest has grown to sports in the last year and a half. He's a solid "A-B" student now looking forward to trying out for football
this summer. :cool: :)
I've seen first hand the bias toward girls in schools and my son's struggles with that. One good teacher who taught that they were all equal really and profoundly helped him.:clap:

Maroon87
05-11-2007, 11:12 PM
i passed the TAAS my sophmore year and spent the rest of the time chillen! lol damn TAKS test is ridiculous.

When I was a soph in 1985 it was the TABS but the same thing applies. Life is not a standardized test...teach it!

SintonFan
05-11-2007, 11:13 PM
Without the TAKS, just how do you determine how much a child knows before they graduate? Should it be tougher?
Why are teachers always the first to complain about the TAKS?

smustangs
05-11-2007, 11:13 PM
Originally posted by SintonFan
I had FIVE YEARS of teachers who begged me to put my son on Ritalin or whatever was the fashionable psychedelic "calm down" drug at the time. We refused and he eventually outgrew it. Thank goodness he had a teacher last year who really believed in him and a form of discipline that worked with him. Timeout for my child never worked, but this teacher really caught his attention and he excelled in academics and now his interest has grown to sports in the last year and a half. He's a solid "A-B" student now looking forward to trying out for football
this summer. :cool: :)
I've seen first hand the bias toward girls in schools and my son's struggles with that. One good teacher who taught that they were all equal really and profoundly helped him.:clap:

see the way i see it if i can help one kid be successful like your son seems to have changed i would be very pleased

SintonFan
05-11-2007, 11:14 PM
im seeing it in school now. its shamefull how many kids in college can't write a damn research paper because they spent 4 years trying to pass a stupid test! i passed the TAAS my sophmore year and spent the rest of the time chillen! lol damn TAKS test is ridiculous.
We used to take the CAT(California Achievement Test). It was fun.:D

smustangs
05-11-2007, 11:14 PM
Without the TAKS, just how do you determine how much a child knows before they graduate? Should it be tougher?
Why are teachers always the first to complain about the TAKS?

teachers dont like it because it dosent enable us to teach what a kid should know or anything to help them in life it makes us teach kids how to pass a test and teach towards it

DDBooger
05-11-2007, 11:17 PM
Why are teachers always the first to complain about the TAKS? the college profs are complaining too, and i see it firsthand when these people are put in a group with me and we have to work on a project and i end up doing the whole damn thing because these people were never taught how to do research or write. its personal opinion i guess SF, i agree with 87 more realism less testing.

SintonFan
05-11-2007, 11:18 PM
teachers dont like it because it dosent enable us to teach what a kid should know or anything to help them in life it makes us teach kids how to pass a test and teach towards it
Yes, but if not the TAKS then shouldn't there still be a "benchmark"?
I sometimes wonder that maybe many teachers complain about it because it exposes those who are crappy teachers?

DDBooger
05-11-2007, 11:18 PM
We used to take the CAT(California Achievement Test). It was fun.:D i remember the CAT!!! haha i drew a middle finger with the dots! :)

DDBooger
05-11-2007, 11:20 PM
I sometimes wonder that maybe many teachers complain about it because it exposes those who are crappy teachers? i think quite the opposite it exposes what NOT allowing a teacher to do by forcing them to prepare a student for a test instead of the test created by a teacher preparing the student for the future.

SintonFan
05-11-2007, 11:20 PM
i remember the CAT!!! haha i drew a middle finger with the dots! :)
They would post the scores in the hallways at Sinton ISD. lol Oh the fun!:D

smustangs
05-11-2007, 11:22 PM
I sometimes wonder that maybe many teachers complain about it because it exposes those who are crappy teachers?

possibly but some kids are poor test takers and have test anxiety that does not make a teacher a bad teacher or ne thing else. i like the new end of course exam idea myself maybe then we could actually teach material kids need

SintonFan
i think quite the opposite it exposes what NOT allowing a teacher to do by forcing them to prepare a student for a test instead of the test created by a teacher preparing the student for the future.
Yes, but if they teach the current curriculum, does that not suffice in preparing a student to take the test in the first place? I don't understand the argument at all and am very suspicious when Teacher's Unions are very loud in this respect.:thinking:

smustangs
i think quite the opposite it exposes what NOT allowing a teacher to do by forcing them to prepare a student for a test instead of the test created by a teacher preparing the student for the future.

AMEN :clap:

Txbroadcaster
05-11-2007, 11:23 PM

The benchmark should be passing the classes.

The test not only forces kids to only learn how to pass the test and therefore not learn how to do things like write a research paper...IT also does not allow a child to truly learn how to think

School is not supposed to be just about being right or wrong, but the path taken to get the answer. Kids today dont know how problem solve and use their mind to figure things out. As long as the Test is the focal point, kids will only know the answers without knowing how to truly solve the problem

smustangs
05-11-2007, 11:24 PM
Originally posted by Txbroadcaster

The test not only forces kids to only learn how to pass the test and therefore not learn how to do things like write a research paper...IT also does not allow a child to truly learn how to think

School is not supposed to be just about being right or wrong, but the path taken to get the answer. Kids today dont know how problem solve and use their mind to figure things out. As long as the Test is the focal point, kids will only know the answers without knowing how to truly solve the problem

thank you that is exactly true

DDBooger
05-11-2007, 11:25 PM
Yes, but if they teach the current curriculum, does that not suffice in preparing a student to take the test in the first place? I don't understand the argument at all and am very suspicious when Teacher's Unions are very loud in this respect.:thinking: not exactly while working at the bluff i saw a lot of differentiation between the test and what is taught in class. college preparation should be a important part of the curriculum and this test according to many people is just not that at all!

DDBooger
05-11-2007, 11:26 PM

School is not supposed to be just about being right or wrong, but the path taken to get the answer. Kids today dont know how problem solve and use their mind to figure things out. As long as the Test is the focal point, kids will only know the answers without knowing how to truly solve the problem application rather then memorization. so many people fail out of class in college cause they can't do CRITICAL THINKING. or when confronted with something that requires them to do more then memorize an answer that corresponds to a certain question they are stumped!

SintonFan
05-11-2007, 11:32 PM

I guess I'm in a different world because both of my kids(grades 3 and 6) schools place much emphasis on problem solving throughout the year. My 3rd grader daughter is in GT classes so that's a given but my son, especially since last year with that wonderful teacher (MR. Villareal here's a shout out to you! lol) they started placing problem solving pretty high.
I wish schools would be more about right and wrong but on a different level. I say spank those kids when they disrupt the classroom. Discipline is gone in classrooms K-12. It's a shame... but I digress.

smustangs
05-11-2007, 11:34 PM
I guess I'm in a different world because both of my kids(grades 3 and 6) place much emphasis on problem solving throughout the year. My 3rd grader daughter is in GT classes so that's a given but my son, especially since last year with that wonderful teacher (MR. Villareal here's a shout out to you! lol) they started placing problem solving pretty high.
I wish schools would be more about right and wrong but on a different level. I say spank those kids when they disrupt the classroom. Discipline is gone in classrooms K-12. It's a shame... but I digress.

that is something i agree w/ you on spank those that need it and go on dont mess around and warn em' and all that crap

DDBooger
05-11-2007, 11:36 PM
I guess I'm in a different world because both of my kids(grades 3 and 6) place much emphasis on problem solving throughout the year. My 3rd grader daughter is in GT classes so that's a given but my son, especially since last year with that wonderful teacher (MR. Villareal here's a shout out to you! lol) they started placing problem solving pretty high.
I wish schools would be more about right and wrong but on a different level. I say spank those kids when they disrupt the classroom. Discipline is gone in classrooms K-12. It's a shame... but I digress. man i got paddled NASTY by some lady who could have played guard with Redskins. i swear her wrists were taped up with HOGS written on it. she hit me so hard kids in the classroom were crying hahahaha i didn't let her see me cry! and all i did was hit a kid with a spit wad. i never talked in class. i was the quiet devious one :devil:

smustangs
05-11-2007, 11:38 PM
this year when i was doin student teaching stuff i saw a coach who had a kid in class that kept causing problems who played football and at practice that day they were doing a drill w/ dummies and the coach just leveled him w/ the dummy and said alright james are you going to behave tomorrow? and you know what james didnt give that coach or any other teachers any trouble from then on

DDBooger
05-11-2007, 11:39 PM
#69 i knew she played for em!
http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m92/bigfree66/hogs250.jpg:D

smustangs
05-11-2007, 11:40 PM
man i got paddled NASTY by some lady who could have played guard with Redskins. i swear her wrists were taped up with HOGS written on it. she hit me so hard kids in the classroom were crying hahahaha i didn't let her see me cry! and all i did was hit a kid with a spit wad. i never talked in class. i was the quiet devious one :devil:

i got busted good one day cuz we were in the lunch room and we were tryin to flip our chicken nugget the farthes off a spoon and i tried it and sent my spoon flying and nailed the lunch room monitor w/ it but i wont the contest haha then when i got home my parents beat my butt again

DDBooger
05-11-2007, 11:41 PM
i got busted good one day cuz we were in the lunch room and we were tryin to flip our chicken nugget the farthes off a spoon and i tried it and sent my spoon flying and nailed the lunch room monitor w/ it but i wont the contest haha then when i got home my parents beat my butt again eww, you got doubled up too!

SintonFan
05-11-2007, 11:43 PM
man i got paddled NASTY by some lady who could have played guard with Redskins. i swear her wrists were taped up with HOGS written on it. she hit me so hard kids in the classroom were crying hahahaha i didn't let her see me cry! and all i did was hit a kid with a spit wad. i never talked in class. i was the quiet devious one :devil:
rofl!
Growing up in Calallen before I moved to Sinton(pre-1978) I was a bit of a clown. I remember telling some of the kids in class about "The Spanking Machine" and had quite a few of them scared out of their wits in 2nd grade. Well, a couple of months into the year I got caught throwing a spitball and guess what? lol I got sent to the office and I was so scared and not thinking straight by then, I asked the nice lady "Where was the Spanking Machine?"
The lady looks me straight in the eye laughs and says "So were you the one who started that fib?" I about crapped my pants. lol
I never really remember the three licks I got that day but that trip to the office and that lady asking me that was the worst of all.:D

smustangs
05-11-2007, 11:44 PM
eww, you got doubled up too!

ya it was bad real bad but you can bet i never fliped nuggets in the lunch room again

Matthew328
05-11-2007, 11:46 PM
The TAKS is minimum skills...it should be easy to pass for most but sometimes other factors ie test anxiety change things..

Teachers are forced to teach the test and not teach critical thinking skills which are required in college.....most college professors think the TAKS is an absolute joke and should not be the be all end all....I think kids should be tested but I think the scores need to be on a sliding scale in order to graduate...just my 2 cents

Maroon87
05-11-2007, 11:46 PM
SF you're a closeted CalCat...sweeet!;)

smustangs
05-11-2007, 11:49 PM
Originally posted by Matthew328
The TAKS is minimum skills...it should be easy to pass for most but sometimes other factors ie test anxiety change things..

Teachers are forced to teach the test and not teach critical thinking skills which are required in college.....most college professors think the TAKS is an absolute joke and should not be the be all end all....I think kids should be tested but I think the scores need to be on a sliding scale in order to graduate...just my 2 cents

i agree w/ that too

SintonFan
05-11-2007, 11:52 PM
Originally posted by Maroon87
SF you're a closeted CalCat...sweeet!;)
lol
I don't remember much except that spanking and going to school behind the Catholic Church on Violet(I think).
I remember my girlfriends Francine and Mary Jane. Man, I was a pimp then.:D

Old Tiger
05-12-2007, 02:18 AM
The TAKS test was the biggest joke while I was in HS. My friends and I would race to see who would finish first, and we would get finished in 30 minutes or less and get commended performance on them. I have no sympathy for the people who failed it, the test isn't even hard and is more of a formality than anything else. The people who failed have nobody to blame but themselves. I took my time :D

mustang04
05-12-2007, 02:57 AM

i actually agree....i think everything that was on the TAKS that we took is stuff that ppl should know before they get to college

Emerson1
05-13-2007, 03:18 PM
How can you not pass? I see failing the first time, but you take the exit level test as a junior and you have a lot of chances to take it again if you fail.

JR2004
05-13-2007, 03:25 PM
I realize this is shocking, but not every single kid is getting the quality of teaching that they deserve. Madison, for example, has been undergoing a major overhaul over the last two years to try and fix the poor test scores they have and many teachers have been replaced. It's going to be a lengthy process, but they're slowly, but surely bringing in teachers who are fixing the problem and getting all the test scores and graduation rates up.

Hupernikomen
05-13-2007, 05:17 PM
The reason why so many are failing the TAKS test is twofold. 1st NCLB is making way more students take the TAKS than took the TAAS (which truly was minimum skills with no critical thinking necessary). The "special education" numbers have dwindled quiet abit and will continue.

2nd The TAKS was constructed to test high order thinking skills, which is obviously what our students are lacking.

Unfortunately, testing is a necessary component in today society much like taking attendance and punching in on a time clock.

EOC (End of Course) exams make a lot more sense and will be a welcome change for high school teachers who waste a lot of valuable instruction time going over subjects that had been taught in previous years instead of covering more of their courses material.

LH Panther Mom
05-13-2007, 06:21 PM
I'm wondering if part of the problem is the students were not required to pass reading portions of TAAS/TAKS in the earlier grades. Austin ISD has 3 high schools that performed very poorly on the exit TAKS - 25% avg will not graduate at commencement. This year's 7th graders were the first group of kids required to pass the 4th grade reading portion for promotion. From what I understand, AISD 7th graders performed better than those in years past.

What a novel idea - if you can't read at 4th grade level, do you belong in the 5th grade?

Hupernikomen
05-13-2007, 09:54 PM
Originally posted by LH Panther Mom
I'm wondering if part of the problem is the students were not required to pass reading portions of TAAS/TAKS in the earlier grades. Austin ISD has 3 high schools that performed very poorly on the exit TAKS - 25% avg will not graduate at commencement. This year's 7th graders were the first group of kids required to pass the 4th grade reading portion for promotion. From what I understand, AISD 7th graders performed better than those in years past.

What a novel idea - if you can't read at 4th grade level, do you belong in the 5th grade?

4th grade reading portion is not a requirement for promotion. it is 3rd grade reading. 5th grade is also a must pass year for reading and math and 8th grade is soon to be added to that list of must pass reading and math next year.

LH Panther Mom
05-13-2007, 10:20 PM
Originally posted by Hupernikomen
4th grade reading portion is not a requirement for promotion. it is 3rd grade reading. 5th grade is also a must pass year for reading and math and 8th grade is soon to be added to that list of must pass reading and math next year. That's right....thanks! I just remembered reading an article about this years 7th graders, didn't pay attention to when they had to pass the reading portion.