PDA

View Full Version : Steriods, Ranger player supsended

SintonFan_inAustin
05-11-2007, 11:53 AM
actually a triple A player

Notes: Sensitive issue hits Rangers
Prospect Cruceta tests positive; Mitchell targets Sosa, Hairston
By T.R. Sullivan / MLB.com

Entering Wednesday, Sammy Sosa had 595 career home runs, including seven this season. (Mark Duncan/AP)
NEW YORK -- The Rangers have had enough trouble with the New York Yankees. They didn't need outside woes to add to their headaches.
But that's what happened on Wednesday.

While Sammy Sosa and Jerry Hairston had to deal with their names being associated with the Mitchell Committee investigation into steroids, Major League Baseball announced that Triple-A Oklahoma pitcher Francisco Cruceta has been suspended for 50 games for testing positive for a performance-enhancing substance.

Cruceta was acquired from the Seattle Mariners on a waiver claim in the offseason and joined the Rangers in Spring Training. He was outrighted to Oklahoma at the end of spring.

"It's disappointing," Rangers general manager Jon Daniels said. "Obviously, we have been pretty clear about performance-enhancing drugs having no place in the game. It's unfortunate."

The Rangers take a number of steps to education their players about performance-enhancing drugs. They have a summer session for players who have just been drafted and joined the organization, and another in Instructional League. There are further sessions with each Minor League team.

"We do as much as we can, but at some point, the players are accountable," Daniels said.

Cruceta is on his own until the suspension is served. Daniels said the Rangers won't add further punishment or release him.

Hairston and Sosa both had their names come up in published reports on Wednesday that said the Mitchell Committee has requested medical records for a number of players. Both played with the Baltimore Orioles, and the franchise seems to be of particular interest to the committee.

"I'm not going to comment," Sosa said. "Go talk to Major League Baseball."

Hairston's name also came up in Spring Training during an investigation into a pharmacy that was involved in the sale of illegal performance-enhancing drugs. Hairston made it clear at the time that he had not used performance-enhancing drugs.

"I haven't heard anything new," Hairston said. "I addressed everything I needed to address in Spring Training. There is nothing more for me to address."

Daniels said it's "regretful" that names are being brought up before the investigation is completed.

"The intent behind the investigation and our organization's intent is not to comment until Senator Mitchell and his group release their findings," Daniels said. "Any names out there are premature and irresponsible."