PDA

View Full Version : If you finished Runner-up in a State game, would you....

Fotbol
05-10-2007, 01:16 PM
Want a Second place Ring? I'm on Centex and there is this big Debate about Robinson getting their Second place Rings.
I mean I'm old school and if I were on the team, I wouldn't want a Second place ring, If it ain't first then I wouldn't wont to wear it.
Some people are saying that the coaches and the Kids got it to remember, trust me once you make it to a state game, you don't need a ring to remind you that you were there, hell 20 years later you will still remember every little detail. I feel Robinson should be the State Champs, but I don't think you get the luck of the draw everytime. I like the go for the win attitude the coach call, didn't agree with the play, but loved the call.

Adidas410s
05-10-2007, 01:19 PM
One of my friend's little brother got a ring at Gainesville after they lost to Wimberley last year in the state finals. I think it's stupid personally. Why not start giving rings to every team that makes the playoffs? Heck...let's give out a participation state ring for playing schoolboy football in the greatest state. Where does it stop?

I've got a few silver medals at home from state championships...I don't need a ring to remind me of it.

JJ7997
05-10-2007, 01:21 PM
I used to be on that board but forgot my password and then couldnt get into the email account I had used to register so my days there came to an end. I knew I had recognized ol' Cunbed10 !

Fotbol
05-10-2007, 01:25 PM
Originally posted by JJ7997
I used to be on that board but forgot my password and then couldnt get into the email account I had used to register so my days there came to an end. I knew I had recognized ol' Cunbed10 !
Here I Isss!:devil:

burnet44
05-10-2007, 01:30 PM
I think its ok its a school decision
I personally as a coach wouldnt
me personally I wouldnt
dont make it wrong that they did
They can do as they want
many college players have bowl rings win or lose

even if I won one I might get a ring
but Im not a big jewerly person
I probably wouldnt wear it

Just knowing I won one would be enough for me

but thats just me

im sure others are different

JasperDog94
05-10-2007, 01:38 PM
It's a continuation of "Everyone is a winner and gets a trophy" from little league.

Adidas410s
05-10-2007, 01:40 PM
Originally posted by JasperDog94
It's a continuation of "Everyone is a winner and gets a trophy" from little league.

exactly. My senior year at Wylie...there was a poster in the locker room of what the state ring would look like IF we won. We lost in the finals...no ring. You don't get a "well you didn't finish on top...but here's your ring that gives everybody else the impression that you did! ;)"

burnet44
05-10-2007, 01:44 PM
Originally posted by Adidas410s
exactly. My senior year at Wylie...there was a poster in the locker room of what the state ring would look like IF we won. We lost in the finals...no ring. You don't get a "well you didn't finish on top...but here's your ring that gives everybody else the impression that you did! ;)"

did you guys get beat by Sealy and Eric Dickerson?
I was at HF then
we lost to them in the 3rd round 20-6
closest game thay had all year
Dick only had 89 yds vs us

and was Jerry Shaefer your coach?

Ive known him forever

Adidas410s
05-10-2007, 01:46 PM
Originally posted by burnet44
did you guys get beat by Sealy and Eric Dickerson?
I was at HF then
we lost to them in the 3rd round 20-6
closest game thay had all year
Dick only had 89 yds vs us

and was Jerry Shaefer your coach?

Ive known him forever

nope...went to Abilene Wylie. Lost to Gatesville and Taurean Henderson. :(

Old Tiger
05-10-2007, 01:57 PM
I think it's cool. How many get to play in a state championship.

Adidas410s
05-10-2007, 02:01 PM
Originally posted by Tiger WR
I think it's cool. How many get to play in a state championship.
spoken like a true tourist. Been there...done that...bought the t-shirt...

Old Tiger
05-10-2007, 02:03 PM
spoken like a true tourist. Been there...done that...bought the t-shirt... You don't understand. If you put in a lot of hard work 6 days a week and worked you ass to the state championship wouldn't you want something to remind you of the experience you had in HS?

burnet44
05-10-2007, 02:04 PM

ouch
lol
That was in 2000?
I was talking about 1978 lol

my bad lol

Yeah Im old but it beats the alternative

lol

44INAROW
05-10-2007, 02:08 PM
Originally posted by burnet44
ouch
lol
That was in 2000?
I was talking about 1978 lol

my bad lol

Yeah Im old but it beats the alternative

lol

I got a huge laugh out of this.......

(class of 76 myself)

smustangs
05-10-2007, 02:09 PM

that was the year after i moved to sweetwater and i went to that game man it was heartbreaker

Adidas410s
05-10-2007, 02:09 PM
You don't understand. If you put in a lot of hard work 6 days a week and worked you ass to the state championship wouldn't you want something to remind you of the experience you had in HS?
It's all about the memories man...

I would want a ring for WINNING something. Think about it...you don't see pro sports guys getting rings for losing in the Super Bowl or the World Series. They instead get a ring that says NFC Champs or NL Pennant Champs.

Adidas410s
05-10-2007, 02:10 PM
Originally posted by 44INAROW
I got a huge laugh out of this.......

(class of 76 myself)

my older brother was born in 1976 :eek:

I was about...ehh...7 years from conception at that point ;)

Old Tiger
05-10-2007, 02:11 PM
It's all about the memories man...

I would want a ring for WINNING something. Think about it...you don't see pro sports guys getting rings for losing in the Super Bowl or the World Series. They instead get a ring that says NFC Champs or NL Pennant Champs. Same concept they won 5/4 playoff games to make it to the state championship. They earned their ring. Under your concept shouldn't the district winners get a ring?

Fotbol
05-10-2007, 02:14 PM
nope...went to Abilene Wylie. Lost to Gatesville and Taurean Henderson. :( I remember that year Marlin had beaten Gatesville that year, and lossed to LaGrange:(

Adidas410s
05-10-2007, 02:16 PM
Same concept they won 5/4 playoff games to make it to the state championship. They earned their ring. Under your concept shouldn't the district winners get a ring?

No...because winning a district championship usually isn't anything special (flame away...but 32 teams in each class win one.)

Based on what you're saying though...if you get a rinning for winning 5/4 games...why not get one for winning 4/3 games...or 3/2 games???? Where does it end?

Old Tiger
05-10-2007, 02:18 PM
No...because winning a district championship usually isn't anything special (flame away...but 32 teams in each class win one.)

Based on what you're saying though...if you get a rinning for winning 5/4 games...why not get one for winning 4/3 games...or 3/2 games???? Where does it end? You play for a state championship nobody remembers the team that gets knocked out in the semi final. They only remember the two finalist. Unless you are Gilmer from this past season they'll be remembered as the biggest let down ever. What's special about winning a pennent? It is an achievement to make it to the state game so why not remember your state championship. To people like you it may seem pointless but to the kids who played in the game it means everything.

Ranger Mom
05-10-2007, 02:20 PM
The schools wouldn't buy them anyway, would they??

I know when Greenwood lost to Bandera in 2002, some of the guys got "runner up" rings..not all...but that's because their parents paid for them!

Who pays for the Championship rings??

Old Tiger
05-10-2007, 02:23 PM
Originally posted by Ranger Mom
The schools wouldn't buy them anyway, would they??

I know when Greenwood lost to Bandera in 2002, some of the guys got "runner up" rings..not all...but that's because their parents paid for them!

Who pays for the Championship rings?? The players pay for the ring no matter what unless the booster club of the school pays a percentage. That was explained to me by a former Kilgore player.

Adidas410s
05-10-2007, 02:25 PM
You play for a state championship nobody remembers the team that gets knocked out in the semi final. They only remember the two finalist. Unless you are Gilmer from this past season they'll be remembered as the biggest let down ever. What's special about winning a pennent? It is an achievement to make it to the state game so why not remember your state championship. To people like you it may seem pointless but to the kids who played in the game it means everything.

Since when has it been "everybody remembers who played in the big game?" Most people can tell you who won the big games...very few remember the losers...

Old Tiger
05-10-2007, 02:25 PM
Since when has it been "everybody remembers who played in the big game?" Most people can tell you who won the big games...very few remember the losers... I remember the Burnet teams...the Marlin team Robinson. The players on that second place team remember it.

Buccaneer
05-10-2007, 02:26 PM
Second place = First Loser

JJ7997
05-10-2007, 02:28 PM
Originally posted by Fotbol
I remember that year Marlin had beaten Gatesville that year, and lossed to LaGrange:(

Actually the Hornets where 15-0 that year and didnt play Marlin. It was the year before that your thinking of.

JasperDog94
05-10-2007, 02:30 PM
You don't understand. If you put in a lot of hard work 6 days a week and worked you ass to the state championship wouldn't you want something to remind you of the experience you had in HS? Then get a t-shirt that says state finalist or something. Rings should belong to the champions. IMO

Fotbol
05-10-2007, 02:31 PM
Originally posted by JJ7997
Actually the Hornets where 15-0 that year and didnt play Marlin. It was the year before that your thinking of. You may be right, I think Modkins was the QB then.

ASUFrisbeeStud
05-10-2007, 02:32 PM
Originally posted by Buccaneer
Second place = First Loser

I agree with that. When everyone gets a ring how significant can it be? I mean I have a couple friends with rings from golf and track and football but just a couple and they are proud of them. I would hate for someone to see my ring and ask me if I won state and be like "well no but I did come in second". Not quite the same...

JJ7997
Originally posted by smustangs
that was the year after i moved to sweetwater and i went to that game man it was heartbreaker

Couldnt have ended any better than it did. I remember the Wylie cheerleaders having signs that said Ghetto rat and hoochie mama. Now that was classless. Henderson didnt even score in that game. It was the D that won it, those where about the two best defenses on the field that night that I have ever personally seen.

44INAROW
my older brother was born in 1976 :eek:

I was about...ehh...7 years from conception at that point ;)
so was my oldest:D

Adidas410s
05-10-2007, 02:34 PM
Originally posted by ASUFrisbeeStud
I agree with that. When everyone gets a ring how significant can it be? I mean I have a couple friends with rings from golf and track and football but just a couple and they are proud of them. I would hate for someone to see my ring and ask me if I won state and be like "well no but I did come in second". Not quite the same...

Yeah...I always kinda cringe whenever I'm around the kid from Gainesville and people ask what he won. He talks about it because he's proud of it...but you can see their reaction be like "oh...ok...well it's a nice ring!"

Old Tiger
05-10-2007, 02:35 PM
It's better than most people. 4 teams a year get to play in a state championship. It is something to be proud of playing in a state championship.

Adidas410s
05-10-2007, 02:36 PM
I remember the Burnet teams...the Marlin team Robinson. The players on that second place team remember it.
So you remember a few...ones that have some sort of personal application.

However...you can ask your average sports fan how many titles the Bulls won with Jordan and they can tell you that it was 6. Now ask them who they beat each year and you're likely to get no or half of an answer.

Tell me who Midland Lee (with Benson) beat for each of their state titles. Without looking it up on the UIL...I'd be surprised if the average hs football fan could name more than 1 of the schools.

Adidas410s
05-10-2007, 02:37 PM
It's better than most people. 4 teams a year get to play in a state championship. It is something to be proud of playing in a state championship.

8 teams a year get to play in the state semifinals. That's something to be proud of too...

Old Tiger
05-10-2007, 02:37 PM
8 teams a year get to play in the state semifinals. That's something to be proud of too... But nobody remembers who lost in those semi's. When you search the UIL site it shows the Winner and losers score as they both played in it. That is more special than making it to the semi finals.

Ranger Mom
05-10-2007, 02:39 PM

Tell me who Midland Lee (with Benson) beat for each of their state titles. Without looking it up on the UIL...I'd be surprised if the average hs football fan could name more than 1 of the schools.

I have no clue who they beat and I am from here!!!:eek:

pirate4state
05-10-2007, 02:41 PM
Originally posted by ASUFrisbeeStud
I agree with that. When everyone gets a ring how significant can it be? I mean I have a couple friends with rings from golf and track and football but just a couple and they are proud of them. I would hate for someone to see my ring and ask me if I won state and be like "well no but I did come in second". Not quite the same... :clap: :clap: Exactly! :o Or here is another question. If you are a JV player and get moved up to Varsity, but you NEVER play a down in any playoff games, do you still buy a ring? :thinking: Personally, I wouldn't. I'd want to know I TRULY earned it ON THE FIELD!! Just my 2 cents!

Adidas410s
05-10-2007, 02:42 PM
But nobody remembers who lost in those semi's. When you search the UIL site it shows the Winner and losers score as they both played in it. That is more special than making it to the semi finals.

so unless you make the finals...you shouldn't be proud of your accomplishments??? The UIL site does have the full brackets going back a few years now and it looks like they will continue to include the full bracket in future years. Maybe you should get a ring if your game is mentioned on the UIL site.

Adidas410s
05-10-2007, 02:44 PM
I have no clue who they beat and I am from here!!!:eek:
I remember one was SA Macarthur at Texas Stadium. That was the year that Katy had to forfeit their semifinal win because of a party the parents/boosters had for the football team after the game. Mac got their pads issued to them on Friday...drove to Dallas...watched some film at the hotel...and proceeded to go down in the record books as being tied for the worst loss in state championship history.

Another one was Aldine Eisenhower at DKR in the rain (thank you FSN for broadcasting). I have no idea who the 3rd one was.

Old Tiger
05-10-2007, 02:45 PM
so unless you make the finals...you shouldn't be proud of your accomplishments??? The UIL site does have the full brackets going back a few years now and it looks like they will continue to include the full bracket in future years. Maybe you should get a ring if your game is mentioned on the UIL site. It's pointless arguing with you. So will leave this alone. If you make it to the state championship you deserver a ring. It's what the kids want and it's optional they don't have to purchase it. We are talking about 15-18 year old kids here and they would most likely want something to remember their work and dedication to make it to the big game. I know I would purchase a state finalist ring.

Old Tiger
05-10-2007, 02:48 PM
IMO it is good that teams do this to remember what they worked for once they graduate high school and to show their kids that they made it to the state championship even if they did not win.

Adidas410s
05-10-2007, 02:49 PM
It's pointless arguing with you. So will leave this alone. If you make it to the state championship you deserver a ring. It's what the kids want and it's optional they don't have to purchase it. We are talking about 15-18 year old kids here and they would most likely want something to remember their work and dedication to make it to the big game. I know I would purchase a state finalist ring.

Like I said at the beginning of the thread...I didn't/don't/wouldn't want a ring to go along with the silver medals that I have from state. The ring is just more junk to remind me of what it felt like to be so close...yet so far from being #1.

pirate4state
05-10-2007, 02:49 PM
It's pointless arguing with you. NOW THAT IS DOWN RIGHT HILARIOUS COMING FROM YOU!!! Thanks! Best laugh I've had all day!!!

If you make it to the state championship you deserver a ring. You deserve it - if you win it!! This mentality is the biggest problem our youth faces today! :rolleyes:

It's what the kids want and it's optional they don't have to purchase it. We are talking about 15-18 year old kids here and they would most likely want something to remember their work and dedication to make it to the big game. I know I would purchase a state finalist ring.

If they can't remember that GRAND of an experience they have other issues.

pirate4state
05-10-2007, 02:50 PM
:rolleyes: Don't we already have this thread?

Adidas410s
05-10-2007, 02:51 PM
Originally posted by pirate4state
NOW THAT IS DOWN RIGHT HILARIOUS COMING FROM YOU!!! Thanks! Best laugh I've had all day!!!

You deserve it - if you win it!! This mentality is the biggest problem our youth faces today! :rolleyes:

If they can't remember that GRAND of an experience they have other issues. [/B]

Now that was the best laugh I've had today...since I don't have youtube to watch the Ron Burgandy clip again :D
:clap: :clap: :clap:

pirate4state
05-10-2007, 02:54 PM
IMO it is good that teams do this to remember what they worked for once they graduate high school and to show their kids that they made it to the state championship even if they did not win.

"Hey kids - look at daddy's 2nd place ring. One day if you try real hard you can have one too, hell they may just give it to you as soon as you sign up for the team!" :thumbsup:

Old Tiger
05-10-2007, 02:55 PM
"Hey kids - look at daddy's 2nd place ring. One day if you try real hard you can have one too, hell they may just give it to you as soon as you sign up for the team!" :thumbsup: Or it could be as a positive effect and make them work harder so they can win the state championship and become a better football player.:rolleyes:

pirate4state
05-10-2007, 02:57 PM
Or it could be as a positive effect and make them work harder so they can win the state championship and become a better football player.:rolleyes: LMAO! Thank you! :)

Adidas410s
05-10-2007, 02:57 PM
Or it could be as a positive effect and make them work harder so they can win the state championship and become a better football player.:rolleyes:
What if daddy had a ring that said "district qualifier"...then the kids would try harder to do better than their dad so their ring could say "district runner up" or "bi district alternate"

Old Tiger
05-10-2007, 02:58 PM
What if daddy had a ring that said "district qualifier"...then the kids would try harder to do better than their dad so their ring could say "district runner up" or "bi district alternate" They DON'T make those rings. They make state champion and state finalist rings. They don't make those. You've never heard of those so that is not apart of this discussion.

Ranger Mom
05-10-2007, 03:02 PM
"Hey kids - look at daddy's 2nd place ring. One day if you try real hard you can have one too, hell they may just give it to you as soon as you sign up for the team!" :thumbsup:

I almost feel sorry for the Greenwood guys who played a full game and 2 overtimes only to lose by a field goal....who wanted a ring now!!

pirate4state
05-10-2007, 03:02 PM
They DON'T make those rings. They make state champion and state finalist rings. They don't make those. You've never heard of those so that is not apart of this discussion. They can & will make any type of ring you want. You think the guy behind the counter is gonna turn away $$ from some DA that wants a "district champ" ring? :D

Bull Butter
05-10-2007, 03:04 PM
They DON'T make those rings. They make state champion and state finalist rings. They don't make those. You've never heard of those so that is not apart of this discussion.

A few years ago, no one made state finalist rings, but they do now. Some years ago, only 1 team from a district made the playoffs, now in 5A, FOUR teams make it.

Give it time, everyone will want their ring soon enough. Semi-Finalist rings will be next, then someone will want a Quarter-Finalist ring or a Regional ring or an Area ring. Before you know it, Junior High kids will be wearing "B" team district runner-up rings:D

pirate4state
05-10-2007, 03:08 PM
Originally posted by Bull Butter
A few years ago, no one made state finalist rings, but they do now. Some years ago, only 1 team from a district made the playoffs, now in 5A, FOUR teams make it.

Give it time, everyone will want their ring soon enough. Semi-Finalist rings will be next, then someone will want a Quarter-Finalist ring or a Regional ring or an Area ring. Before you know it, Junior High kids will be wearing "B" team district runner-up rings:D

LMAO! God forbid you don't give little Johnny that option!!

Adidas410s
05-10-2007, 03:08 PM
They DON'T make those rings. They make state champion and state finalist rings. They don't make those. You've never heard of those so that is not apart of this discussion.

http://img517.imageshack.us/img517/2517/ringer1.jpg

pirate4state
05-10-2007, 03:10 PM
http://img517.imageshack.us/img517/2517/ringer1.jpg Snazzy!! :cool:

Bull Butter
05-10-2007, 03:11 PM
Rings should be for STATE CHAMPIONS. Period.

No State Champ, no ring. Don't like it....... then try harder next time.

Notice that in these cases that it's mommy & daddy who are ordering the runner-up rings. They don't want little Johnny to feel bad because he didn't get the big prize, so they get them a "you lost but we still love you ring"

Ask any Football coach in this state if he would ever wear a runner-up ring. You could probably count the "yes" answers on on your ring finger

pirate4state
05-10-2007, 03:14 PM
Originally posted by Bull Butter
Rings should be for STATE CHAMPIONS. Period.

No State Champ, no ring. Don't like it....... then try harder next time.

Notice that in these cases that it's mommy & daddy who are ordering the runner-up rings. They don't want little Johnny to feel bad because he didn't get the big prize, so they get them a "you lost but we still love you ring"

Ask any Football coach in this state if he would ever wear a runner-up ring. You could probably count the "yes" answers on on your ring finger

You might be right about that BB - such a shame!

RMAC
05-10-2007, 03:29 PM
I lost a chance to win state. Why would I want a ring reminding me of it?

pirate4state
05-10-2007, 03:30 PM
Originally posted by RMAC
I lost a chance to win state. Why would I want a ring reminding me of it? So your kids can try harder, DUH!! :p :p

Fotbol
05-10-2007, 03:37 PM
In the Superbowl the winner not only gets the ring, but a substancial amount more money than the runner-up correct?

Ranger Mom
05-10-2007, 03:39 PM
In the Superbowl the winner not only gets the ring, but a substancial amount more money than the runner-up correct?

Do their parents buy that ring too??:D

Adidas410s
05-10-2007, 03:39 PM
The winner gets about $70k and the loser $36.5k as of the Eagles/Pats Super Bowl.

pirate4state
05-10-2007, 03:40 PM
Do their parents buy that ring too??:D Now, that would be SAD!!!! LOL

Fotbol
05-10-2007, 03:46 PM
Do their parents buy that ring too??:D
No RM the Grandparents will have to buy the Superbowl Ring.
Parents on have the High School one!:D

LH Panther Mom
05-10-2007, 04:30 PM
:clap: :clap: Exactly! :o Or here is another question. If you are a JV player and get moved up to Varsity, but you NEVER play a down in any playoff games, do you still buy a ring? :thinking: Personally, I wouldn't. I'd want to know I TRULY earned it ON THE FIELD!! Just my 2 cents!
:thinking: :thinking: Interesting question.

Our newspaper guy wrote an article a couple of weeks ago that could fit this discussion. It's all about the "warm fuzzies". ;)

Gobbler Fan
05-10-2007, 06:23 PM
It's something that only happens to a very select few* play in a State Championship* so I would think it would be up to the player and who knows if it will ever happen again in his lifetime . It will surely be a bitter memory now but in 20 years the bad memory will fade and it will looked back on as a great time in their lives .

On another note if you don't think this is correct let's just give out first place medals or rings / trophies in all sport's. I'm sure all the bowl games *winners get a Ring*don't mean anything if you aren't playing for the BCS Championship :rolleyes: . Why get a Graduation ring if you aren't the Valedictorian *overkill I know* Just making a point :D