PDA

View Full Version : Softball: Lady Kats looking to make more playoff history

Ray_BearKat
05-10-2007, 09:19 AM
Raymondville ready for first-ever regional quarterfinal appearance

By ARMANDO GARZA
CORPUS CHRISTI — Darlene Hernandez perhaps put it best when asked about the Raymondville Lady Kats’ mindset going into their playoff series with Yoakum.
“We’re not nervous,” the junior pitcher said with confidence. “We’re eager.”
Well, the wait is over.
Raymondville, already with their first-ever area title in their back pocket, will now face Yoakum in Game 1 of their Region IV-3A best-of-3 regional quarterfinal series tonight.
Game time is set for 7 p.m. at Calallen High School. Game 2 will be Saturday at 3 p.m. with a third game (if necessary) 30 minutes after Game 2. The winner of this series will face either Medina Valley or Llano in the regional semifinals.
This marks the Lady Kats’ first appearance in the regional quarters.
But as far as making history goes, Raymondville already knows a thing or two about it.
Earlier this season, the Lady Kats won their first tournament title at the BISD Fastpitch Tourney in Brownsville.
Then, Raymondville (20-5) made history last week, getting past the area for the first time, beating Aransas Pass 2-1. Hernandez went the distance and pitched the Lady Kats to victory.
“I knew that if I felt pressure, all I had to do was play my game,” Hernandez said of last week’s win. “And everything went right.”
All of that, combined with some clean play can spell even more success, first-year coach Pedro Soria said.
“We’ve made history twice this season,” said Soria. “But I always tell the girls, it’s not always the best team that wins in the playoffs, it’s the team that makes the least amount of errors.”
Raymondville boasts a solid infield consisting of first baseman Jamie Durbin, Mungia, shortstop Deborah Barnhart, third baseman Monica Torres and catcher Ashley Alfaro. With this group, errors have not been too common thus far.
Meanwhile, on the practice field, the entire Lady Kats’ club was loose but focused.
“We have fun,” said second baseman Jessica Munguia. “We try not to be too serious.”
With the amount of success the 31-3A champs have seen, it’s no coincidence they’re focused and relaxed.
But Yoakum (28-5) is no stranger to success, either.
The Lady Bulldogs claimed the District 29-3A championship, and after a bye in bi-district, defeated Zapata 6-2 last week in area.
Soria said Yoakum’s offense is something his Lady Kats will have to keep an eye on.
“One thing that concerns us is that they can hit the ball well all the time,” he said. “They have not struck out very often.”
Another reason why the Lady Bulldogs are area champs has been the play from center circle.
Pitcher Megan Carmichael has been sensational. She’s amassed 21 wins in 2007 and has 148 strikeouts to her credit.
While they know Carmichael and Yoakum will be tough, Raymondville feels they’ve got a little extra something to prove.
“We want to get out there and show the teams up there that we have something,” Munguia said. “We want to show them that we can do it.” http://www.valleymorningstar.com/pictures/1178784227-b3a.gif
From left, Deborah Barnhart, Jessica Mungia, Jamie Durbin, Darlene Hernandez and Ashley Alfaro are a big reason the Lady Bearkats are in the third round of the playoffs for the first time in school history.

pirate4state
05-10-2007, 09:22 AM
Good Luck to the Lady Kats. Yoakum is a tough opponent!!

Ray_BearKat
05-10-2007, 09:31 AM
can't wait till tonight...i'm taking time off my studying to drive down to Calallen tonight :D