PDA

View Full Version : Junior to drive for JR Motorsports in 2008

CHS_CG
05-10-2007, 07:36 AM
Members of the media have been invited to a Thursday morning news conference at the JR Motorsports race shop in Mooresville, N.C. However, details of the conference were not provided, lending speculation that it may involve his contract negotiations with Dale Earnhardt Inc.

Dave Moody reported Wednesday afternoon on Sirius Speedway that speculation is Junior and Martin Truex Jr. will drive Nextel Cup cars under the JR Motorsports banner in 2008 with Hendrick Motorsports providing engines.

SPEED will interrupt regularly scheduled programming to go live from the JR Motorsports race shop at 11 a.m. ET for the news conference.

Junior's contract with DEI is scheduled to run out at the end of the season, and he and sister Kelley Earnhardt Elledge have been involved in talks with team officials. Both parties have stated in the past that they want to have the issue resolved by May.

During Media Day at Daytona International Speedway in February, Junior first mentioned his desire to obtain a majority ownership in the company founded by his father, a demand which was repeated by Elledge two months later.

"Fifty-one [percent] is the right number because that gives us control," Elledge said. "We'll take 75 or 95 or whatever we work out. At the end of the day, 51 gives you control. And we want control."

According to the Associated Press, DEI president Max Siegel said DEI has "worked hard to address everything" that Junior sought, without discussing specific percentages.

Gobbla2001
05-10-2007, 07:46 AM
"Junior to take left-turns for JR Motorsports in 2008"

Adidas410s
05-10-2007, 08:11 AM
Nothing is definite yet...Junior could still end up back at DEI (he'll be with them until the end of the season) or could sign with a Hendricks or Gibbs racing. Hopefully he'll learn from M Waltrip that you can't own a nascar team AND be the main driver. It just doesn't work.

CHS_CG
05-10-2007, 08:14 AM
Originally posted by Adidas410s
Nothing is definite yet...Junior could still end up back at DEI (he'll be with them until the end of the season) or could sign with a Hendricks or Gibbs racing. Hopefully he'll learn from M Waltrip that you can't own a nascar team AND be the main driver. It just doesn't work.

I seriously hope that they get power over the company and he stays with DEI but we shall see... I think Jr could pull off owning a team and being the main driver... Mikey hasnt had a great start but he switched to Toyota(first year its in Nascar) he got caught cheating and as much as he says he didnt know I am willin to bet he knew SOMETHING, he lost points right off the bat... so hes had a rough start but I think Jr could do it.