PDA

View Full Version : East Texas vs. West Texas

Z motion 10 out on 2
12-08-2003, 12:36 PM
Atlanta vs. Vernon

Though these two teams come from different parts of the state, from I have read on Atlanta and what I know about Vernon, both teams like to run the ball!

Both teams have a lot of similarities:
Both teams run the ball well
Both teams have solid defenses
Both teams played several 4A schools in the nondistrict
Both teams have been beat
Both teams have been underdogs throughout the year
One team goes to the State Championship!

Anyone who has been to one of these teams’ games can share what their thoughts are. Strengths and or weaknesses.

All the Collier-Sharp, Data Poll, Harris, etc. polls have made the wrong picks so often this year; it is hard to give a prediction without having seen each team play.

Any guesses or may I say educated guesses?

KTJ
12-08-2003, 01:00 PM
all i know is that is going to be a crapload of maroon!

Z motion 10 out on 2
12-08-2003, 01:16 PM
Who is the home team?

Vernon Home Uniform:
White Helment with two maroon stripes and a Maroon "V" with a lion in the middle.
Maroon jersey with white numbers
All Maroon pants with logo on hip
White socks
http://www.cameron.edu/~harrison/1matthirschi.jpg

Vernon Away:
Same but with White Jersey with maroon numbers

<small>[ December 08, 2003, 12:17 PM: Message edited by: Z motion 10 out on 2 ]</small>

vet93
12-08-2003, 03:05 PM
Conventional wisdom and history would say that Atlanta has the distinct advantage. In 3a, since the early eighties teams who come from west of the I-35 corridor have had difficulty with the teams from Region II. The obvious reason for this observation has been difficulty in dealing with the east texas speed (including metroplex teams). One exception to this trend through the years however has been the Vernon Lions. Since 1984 Vernon has had several teams that have competed very well with the east texas teams. We have also seen some indication that this trend may not be as much a factor as it has been in the past with a strong run by Abilene Wylie this year, Greenwood last year, the 2000 Abilene wylie run to the finals and strong appearances by Ballinger last year and Iowa Park, Merkel and Vernon this year against teams that were regarded to have a distinct speed advantage. With Atlanta's speed advantage, they have to be considered the favorite and will probably be picked by most to win the game...however, Vernon has shown in victories over three highly regarded opponents that they have the capability of beating anyone. I am pulling for Vernon not because I have anything against Atlanta...I just tend to pull for the underdog. I also like to see teams from the west compete well because in 3a we have been down for a long time. Maybe Vernon is the "Team of Destiny" like Bandera was last year. Good luck to both teams.

Matthew328
12-09-2003, 10:24 AM
Vernon typically has pretty good speed for a West Texas school....they have been known to match up well with schools west of I-35..I still like the Rabbs in this one though..

Z motion 10 out on 2
12-09-2003, 11:10 AM
Vernon is the visiting team. Vernon has lost the coin toss every single game so far. But they have won eevery single time too -- coincidence?

The more I find out about Atlanta, the more I don't want to find out. Looks like they have a very good o-line and can reall drive the ball on you. That will be a good test for Vernon. Also they have a really quick defense. I'm glad we were able to play Sweetwater for the experience of dealing with a tough D. Graham also had a very good group of defensive linemen as well as some good LB's. Both of those teams really clamped down on us. Our passing game has been getting better and better each week so we may have to use it some if we can't run the ball. I hope there is no wind again.

I'll be putting in my prayer requests early this week! I waited a little late last week and we went in to overtime.

CatWoman
12-09-2003, 11:14 AM
Z motion 10 out on 2:
Vernon is the visiting team. Vernon has lost the coin toss every single game so far. But they have won eevery single time too -- coincidence?

The more I find out about Atlanta, the more I don't want to find out. Looks like they have a very good o-line and can reall drive the ball on you. That will be a good test for Vernon. Also they have a really quick defense. I'm glad we were able to play Sweetwater for the experience of dealing with a tough D. Graham also had a very good group of defensive linemen as well as some good LB's. Both of those teams really clamped down on us. Our passing game has been getting better and better each week so we may have to use it some if we can't run the ball. I hope there is no wind again.

I'll be putting in my prayer requests early this week! I waited a little late last week and we went in to overtime.Good luck Z. Hope your boy has the game of a lifetime!! It never hurts to ask for a little help from the Man Upstairs. And like the old saying goes - "Lord if you can't help me for goodness sake don't help that bear"! Or should we say Rabbit.

CatWoman
12-09-2003, 12:24 PM
ttt

Z motion 10 out on 2
12-09-2003, 12:45 PM
Thanks, I'll have to remember that one!

CatWoman:

Z motion 10 out on 2:

I'll be putting in my prayer requests early this week! I waited a little late last week and we went in to overtime.Good luck Z. Hope your boy has the game of a lifetime!! It never hurts to ask for a little help from the Man Upstairs. And like the old saying goes - "Lord if you can't help me for goodness sake don't help that bear"! Or should we say Rabbit.

Keith7
12-09-2003, 07:36 PM
Atlanta is FAST!!!!

Z motion 10 out on 2
12-10-2003, 02:21 PM
ttt