PDA

View Full Version : SOFTBALL REGION III Brackets scores and comments

Old Cardinal
04-25-2003, 06:42 PM
I would like to start a SOFTBALL bracket "Watch", for just Region III. Hopefully other Regions will do the same. It will be easy to keep up with, this way...Please post Region III scores and info on this site.

LG
04-25-2003, 11:17 PM
The Lady Leps from La Grange win 8-1 over the Lady Cards from Columbus...Freshman pitcher Mandi Berstch pitch an great game...congradulation to the Lady Leps and good luck next week...La Grange Rules

BH_146
04-25-2003, 11:41 PM
By mutual agreement, the Barbers Hill-Bellville match -up will be a best 2 of 3, somewhat unusual for softball. The games are scheduled for Friday and Saturday either at The Woodlands or Magnolia.

Old Cardinal
04-26-2003, 07:36 AM
That's interesting B_146, I did not know UIL gave the girls a choice...Looks like La Grange will play Bridge City. Down here we pronounce it "La Grauunge" instead of "La Grain-ge", that's the cajun way of pronouncing that word.

middleagecardinal
04-26-2003, 09:03 PM
Old, the UIL says that if both coaches agree on a best of three they can do it. If there is a disagreement, it goes to one game...no mention of a coin flip or anything like that. BC to play LaGrange Thursday in Conroe.

BH_146
04-26-2003, 11:30 PM
Old Cardinal, yes I know about "La Grauunge". I played a litte Dixie ball in the area while growing up. Also, we made a trip to across the border to play them my senior year (BC W 14-0). Back then we also played the Sulphur Tors. Any way, best of luck against La Grange. I hope both our teams can win and set up another BH-BC matchup. That would give me another chance to see our softball team because I will be in Austin next week when they play.

Old Cardinal
04-27-2003, 10:59 AM
SOFTBALL: I understand Bridge City and La Grange will play at Conroe Thursday at 7:00 PM. Does anyone know which stadium, and maybe even directions? I hear, La Grange girls are one of the best from Houston & South....FOOTBALL Yes, BH_146, I can remember Bridge City whipping the Sulphur Golden Tornadoes is Football on three special occasions. Sulphur would end up State Champions of Louisana-with a Texas team as the only blemish on their record...The last time I remember a BC vs LA team was in 1983, when BC had a late season open date and they scheduled a last-minute contest with the Opelouses Indians who were ranked #2 in the big enrollment schools over there. BC came within a hares-breath of beating them....Well hope you guys do well in post season in baseball-- and we can meet for the Championship of Region III, on down the way.

<small>[ April 27, 2003, 12:17 PM: Message edited by: Old Cardinal ]</small>

Old Cardinal
04-27-2003, 10:23 PM
You know, It is interesting that Bridge City #2 and La Grange #9 are both rated, and are playing, this early in the bracketing. It should be a really good game, from what little I can find out about La Grange. I understand that Elgin bearly scraped by with the District Championship, down there.

middleagecardinal
04-28-2003, 06:59 AM
Hey Old, I heard the BC-LaGrange game on Thursday may be at the Woodlands instead of Conroe.

Old Cardinal
04-28-2003, 07:21 AM
M'ageCard: Please post the exact field location & time, as soon as you are sure.

Old Cardinal
04-30-2003, 09:40 PM
The La Grange vs Bridge City Softball first Bracket game will be at The Woodlands HS at 7:00 pm tomorrow(Thursday night). Should be a good contest, since they are both ranked.

Brahma73
04-30-2003, 10:04 PM
Saw the LG vs. Columbus game Friday night. La Grange won the game rather easily, but I don't find them to be near as solid a squad as they were last year when they were in our district. They're missing some key seniors from last year's squad, not the least of which is the freshman pitcher's older sister. Bertsch is actually soph. age, but is a freshman.

Columbus has been sort of a self-destructing team all year. They made 4 errors in the first 2 innings and at least 5 for the game, and were never in the contest. LG has a few good sticks in the 3,4 & 5 area and a decent defense. The Bertsch kid does a pretty good job and they have a lefty that does OK, as well. They'll have to be REALLY on to run with Bridge City, but that's why they play 'em. Anything can happen.

Gotta pull for the Leps, though. They were good for our district in the past and we'd love to meet them down the road.

Can anybody give a once-over on Barber's Hill? I hear their pretty solid, and we're looking forward to the matchup. Thanks!

Chopblock
04-30-2003, 10:19 PM
Old Cardinal:
You know, It is interesting that Bridge City #2 and La Grange #9 are both rated, and are playing, this early in the bracketing. It should be a really good game, from what little I can find out about La Grange. I understand that Elgin bearly scraped by with the District Championship, down there.Elgin lost 1-0 and then beat them 3-0 and 3-2.
LaGrange like Elgin is a very young team, alot of underclassman, Both are fine teams and will be tough contenders down the road over the years

Old Cardinal
05-01-2003, 11:28 AM
I understand that La Grange's Coaching will take all kinds of chances----of course that can work for you, or against you.....Bridge City might get beat tonight, but honestly I am much more worried about playing Barbers Hill the following week. They are the only 3A, that I know, of that has really crowded Splendora, several times. The two Gonzalez girls are pretty tough at BH.... If BC hits against La Grange, like they usually do, they win-- because they have a good pitching staff that usually does not give up a lot of runs.

Old Cardinal
05-02-2003, 12:02 AM
The La Grange(3) vs Bridge City(4) was an interesting one. It was characterized by a number of errors by both teams. It was a struggle, with both teams not hitting as well as they are capable of. I think the determining factor was that although La Grange pulled all the stops out, and continually- slapped and bunted; BC's Catcher Jessica Lemoine and Pitcher Laura Gremillion-- just threw too many of those swift La Grange girls out at first base in those last two innings of the contest. Meagan Godwin pitched the first 3 innings and then Laura Gremillion came in to pitch the last 5 innings, for BC. Bridge City had the worst night at the plate, that they have had the whole season! La Grange has a good team and are as swift a group of girls as I have seen in a while.

middleagecardinal
05-02-2003, 08:20 AM
Actually we have had worse games at the plate but we certainly could have done better. I think we had one of our worst fielding games and worst pitching games. Although M. Godwin only gave up one hit and one unearned run in three innings, she did not seem to be on. Then after LG got a look at L. Gremillion in the fourth, she did not seem to control the game well either. With our pitching and defense, 3 runs should be enough. Credit LG with their scrappy play and BC for hanging on for the win.

middleagecardinal
05-02-2003, 08:23 AM
I see that White Oak beat Van 1-0 in Region II! WOW

I know this is a Region III thread, just thought it was worth mentioning.

<small>[ May 02, 2003, 08:24 AM: Message edited by: middleagecardinal ]</small>

Old Cardinal
05-02-2003, 11:33 AM
Region II's White Oak, Lindale and Jefferson are very good teams, according to what I can find out. I don't think it was a major surprise when White Oak beat Van, although Van had an excellent District run....Yes, I agree that we were walking way too many, yet I feel that Laura Gremillion pitched a great 5 innings, keeping a good team off-balance with the different types of change ups. Again, the play of Lemoine and Gremillion, throwing out a host of bunters and slappers kept the bases pretty empty and shifted the momentum toward the end of the game....You know La Grange with their "take every chance philosophy" might have had a chance to beat Splendora with their excellent "short game" attack.

<small>[ May 02, 2003, 07:56 PM: Message edited by: Old Cardinal ]</small>

middleagecardinal
05-03-2003, 02:46 PM
Any word on the Barbers Hill - Bellville games?

bbfan
05-03-2003, 04:45 PM
Bellville won in 2 games.

Brahma73
05-03-2003, 08:12 PM
middleagecardinal:
Any word on the Barbers Hill - Bellville games?1st Game (Yesterday): Bellville 6, BH 1
WP - Pieper in relief. Big blow was 3-run double in 6th by Freshman Catcher Sloan (who earlier in game doubled off the wall). This iced the game after a 2-out, 2-run throwing error in 5th.

2nd Game: Bellville 3, BH 1
WP - Buenger (5 scoreless innings) Save - Steck
Big hit was 2-run bases loaded double by Steck (3rd runner out at plate), followed by RBI double by Van Hook.

Our other 23AAA, Sealy, lost to #1 Splendora. Heard it was 10-0. Is this correct?

Old Cardinal
05-05-2003, 03:59 PM
A LOOK AT WHAT HAS HAPPENED TO THE TOP 10 of the 3A POLLS---#1 Splendora-still sailing #2 Bridge City-still in the hunt #3 Van ELIMINATED by White Oak #4 Kirbyville- still going strong #5 Decatur- still going strong #6 Wharton- still sailing along #7 Monahans-alive and well #8 Caldwell- still enjoying the season # 9 La Grange ELIMINATED by Bridge City #10 (tie) Waco Robinson ELIMINATED by Lukfin Hudson #10 (tie) Snyder ELIMINATED by Perryton....After this weeks scheduling there should be a lot of changes!

middleagecardinal
05-05-2003, 04:26 PM
Hey Old, Looks like BC will play a best of three with Bellville in New Caney Friday & Saturday.

Brahma73
05-05-2003, 07:18 PM
Hey Middle! I think you're right. My information is Friday @ 7 pm and Saturday @ 4 pm (2 games if needed.)

Go Brahmanettes! :)

Brahma73
05-05-2003, 07:35 PM
Hey Old, check your PM. Thanks! :)

Brahma73
05-05-2003, 07:41 PM
Directions to New Caney from West of Houston (Coming in on I-10) anybody?

Thanks;)

Old Cardinal
05-06-2003, 10:08 AM
Bramha: Go to "Mapquest" and enter 21650 Loop 494, New Caney, TX 77357-8240--- That gives you the New Caney HS School-I assume the fields are adjacent to the HS.

middleagecardinal
05-06-2003, 10:38 AM
That's what I'm hearing. See ya there!

Brahma73:
Hey Middle! I think you're right. My information is Friday @ 7 pm and Saturday @ 4 pm (2 games if needed.)

Go Brahmanettes! :)

middleagecardinal
05-06-2003, 08:02 PM
Brahma73 - Take 59 North. Exit Community Dr. Make U-Turn @ Community on to the southbound feeder. The field is on the feeder between Community and FM 1314.

<small>[ May 06, 2003, 08:03 PM: Message edited by: middleagecardinal ]</small>

Old Cardinal
05-09-2003, 10:02 AM
I see where another Top 10 Poll team was ELIMINATED Iowa Park 1 Decatur 0; Huffman-Hargrave lost to #1 Splendora 2-1 They had a real good season; Lindale scored 10 points totally dominating Pilot Point, who did not score; Jefferson wins 2-1 in Nine innings, over Rusk. Mount Vernon scores 2 Atlanta 1

<small>[ May 09, 2003, 10:08 AM: Message edited by: Old Cardinal ]</small>

Old Cardinal
05-09-2003, 10:50 AM
A rundown fo the Top 10 teams at the end of the regular season, and how they have fared in the playoffs, is as follows: #1 Splendora, still in #2 Bridge City, still in #3 Van ELIMINATED #4 Kirbyville, still in #5 Decatur ELIMINATED #6 Wharton, still in #7 Monahans, still in #8 Caldwell, still in #9 La Grange ELIMINATED #10(tie) Waco Robinson ELIMINATED #10(tie) Snyder ELIMINATED...The big decision will be- rated Caldwell vs rated Kirbyville....I know that Bridge City 10-run ruled Kirbyville 11-1 in a practice game, but Kirbyville seems to be hitting on all cylinders, as the season progressed; and Caldwell is riding the good arm of Brandi C. in there quest for the chance to go to the State Tournament. That should make for some great Softball!

<small>[ May 09, 2003, 11:27 AM: Message edited by: Old Cardinal ]</small>

pirate4state
05-09-2003, 11:10 AM
Old Card, #6 Wharton has not been eliminated, they play tonight against Hallettsville in Columbus.

Old Cardinal
05-09-2003, 11:25 AM
Thanks for the correction, I see Wharton plays tonight.

middleagecardinal
05-09-2003, 12:25 PM
Old, Bridge City did beat Kirbyville 11-1 in a non-district game but Kirbyville did not pitch Tankersley. Just a side note, the one run for Kirbyville was a homer by Tankersley off of Gremillion.

Old Cardinal:
A rundown fo the Top 10 teams at the end of the regular season, and how they have fared in the playoffs, is as follows: #1 Splendora, still in #2 Bridge City, still in #3 Van ELIMINATED #4 Kirbyville, still in #5 Decatur ELIMINATED #6 Wharton, still in #7 Monahans, still in #8 Caldwell, still in #9 La Grange ELIMINATED #10(tie) Waco Robinson ELIMINATED #10(tie) Snyder ELIMINATED...The big decision will be- rated Caldwell vs rated Kirbyville....I know that Bridge City 10-run ruled Kirbyville 11-1 in a practice game, but Kirbyville seems to be hitting on all cylinders, as the season progressed; and Caldwell is riding the good arm of Brandi C. in there quest for the chance to go to the State Tournament. That should make for some great Softball!

Old Cardinal
05-09-2003, 11:34 PM
Bridge City lost their first-of-three series game to Bellville 3-1. It was a classic example of-if you don't hit you lose in the playoffs. Bellville is a very steady team, with good talent. BC tried to break them with bunt after bunt but were unable to have success. We will see what happen in the second game a 4pm toworrow.

Brahma73
05-10-2003, 12:18 AM
Well said, OC. In the early going it looked like BC would romp, especially with the wildness of our starter. Looked like BC's pitcher had a little trouble finding the zone early, too. It became a game where Bellville took advantage of miscues and strung a few hits together at the right time. Our soph. reliever did a good job of throwing strikes and the defense took care of business. Looks like BC has plenty fire power in the middle few, though, and I assure you no one is taking anything for granted on either team. The hard hit balls came from BC tonight (especially the 3 hitter!), but breaks weren't there for the Lady Cards. Saturday should be interesting... Hope to find you somewhere, OC!

Best to all!

Go Brahmanettes! :D
Go Kate #13!! wink

Old Cardinal
05-10-2003, 10:19 PM
Well Bridge City Softball prevailed over a Good Bellville team tonight...it was 8-1 the first game and 8-7 in the second game. Last night Bellville won 3-1 in the initial contest. That was the first time a 3A level team had beat them since the early preseason...Bellville has a good solid program and great fans! BC get ready for next week.

Old Cardinal
05-10-2003, 10:44 PM
Here is a list of the EIGHT Softball teams still alive in Regions II & III-- Mount Vernon..Carthage..Lindale..Jefferson....Kirbyville ..Splendora..Lufkin Hudson..Bridge City---Will someone be kind enough to share some pertainent info on each of these survivors.

<small>[ May 10, 2003, 11:22 PM: Message edited by: Old Cardinal ]</small>

RBARKER
05-10-2003, 10:48 PM
Great Job BC. I bet they are happy it was a 3 game seris eek! Sounds like it was a good one.This may be a wake up call to the Cardinals. Good Luck to Bridge City wink

Brahma73
05-11-2003, 12:48 AM
Old Cardinal:
Well Bridge City Softball prevailed over a Good Bellville team tonight...it was 8-1 the first game and 8-7 in the second game. Last night Bellville won 3-1 in the initial contest. That was the first time a 3A level team had beat them since the early preseason...Bellville has a good solid program and great fans! BC get ready for next week.Just got home from New Caney. WOW, what a softball game. I am exhausted. First two games were won on breaks. Last night, Bellville took advantage of 5 or so Card errors and played D to steal a win against a clearly more talented BC team. The first game today was an exact turnaround. In a 2-1 game, Bellville misplays a routine fly ball that would have ended an inning early in the game. The result: 5 BC runs with 2 outs and it's all over. Tonight was the classic, though. Bellville trailed 2-0 early, but scratched back to gain a 3-3 tie, only to see BC put up a 5-run inning to seemingly ice the game. But Bellville rallied back with 3 runs in the 6th and 2 more in the 7th on guts and determination. In fact, the game ended with the bases loaded and the 3rd out being recorded on interference by a baserunner.
Before the series, I was in awe of what I'd heard about Bridge City's talent. I still am. You are for real! However, I am now in awe of the courage and refusal to give up by a clearly overmatched Bellville squad. I'm so proud of their effort.
Here's to Kara, Nicole, Tracie, Christina, Kristin, Delanie, Amanda, Adrienne, Bridgett, Merritt, Krystal, Lauren, Megan and Kacie. And a special pat on the back to my own Kate, #13. (Next year will be even better!) Thanks to 1st year coach Ross & assistants Rhonda & Paige. Anyone who was at the game knows this team is no ordinary group. They even surprised us fans! wink

To Bridge City - Jaclyn, Beth, Julia, Jessica, Brittany, Katie, Elena, Hayley, Lainey, Kaleigh, Laura, Cressa, Jessica, Ashley & Meagan. Sincere congratulations and best of luck next week & beyond. And thanks for 2 days of truly entertaining softball. :)

Old Card, sorry I didn't get to meet you at the game, but I did get to visit with a few of the other supporters. You folks have a nice softball program.

Brahmanette Softball ROCKS! Way to go, girls! :D

Old Cardinal
05-11-2003, 07:57 AM
73, Good luck next year, I should get tough with BC,Bellville, Caldwell, La Grange,West, to name a few, returning a bunch of hard-nosed focused players!

middleagecardinal
05-11-2003, 09:55 AM
73, Thanks. I must admit that ya'll have one of the most determined teams I've seen. Congrats on their success and we look forward to meeting again. What a series. Sorry that we got a little rowdy on the call of the foul pop on the fence in the last game.

Old Cardinal
05-11-2003, 11:03 AM
Can someone tell us a little about the Lufkin Hudson Softball team? The only scant info that I have heard, is that they have a composite of good Select team players from the Lufkin area.

Brahma73
05-11-2003, 06:06 PM
middleagecardinal:
73, Thanks. I must admit that ya'll have one of the most determined teams I've seen. Congrats on their success and we look forward to meeting again. What a series. Sorry that we got a little rowdy on the call of the foul pop on the fence in the last game.Thanks for the compliment MAC! If I'd known you were there, I would have loved to have met you. Maybe you saw my son (Bellville22) and my dad and me over on your side after the game. I think we were the only Bellville folks over there at that time. It's hard for me not to congratulate players and fans from both sides after such a hard fought battle.
As for the umps, I'm one who really never criticizes the guys in blue. I've done quite a lot of umping in my day, and so I generally sympathize with the pressure and demands. But I assure you, BOTH sides would have traded these guys in, I think.
My daughter (#13) started the first game and thought she had her junk working pretty well and was even able to strike out a few pretty potent hitters. She is taught to accept whatever strike zone is there. I don't think I've ever seen so many strange stares from her while she was on the mound, so I'm suspicious she felt she was getting squeezed a bit, especially on the breaking stuff around both corners. I'll bet Laura and Meagan would agree. By the way, it looked like the foul ball hit the fence from our side, too! Nobody got arrested over that, did they?
When my kid came in the 2nd game in relief, she said the base ump told her she was illegal pitching because her foot was leaving the rubber "too soon." Though she had nothing left when she made that relief appearance (and it showed), I doubt she was pitching illegally.
Anyway, what a series and what a great squad the Cardinals are. Best of luck to you! Tell Old I said hello!

Way to go 'Nettes!

middleagecardinal
05-12-2003, 09:00 AM
B73, Sorry I did not introduce myself...I was a little caught up in the atmosphere. I don't think any arrests were made. Just a lot of name calling. We play one game Friday against Lufkin Hudson at a place to be determined. Wish us luck.

Brahma73
05-12-2003, 10:51 PM
Hey Middle! The Lady Cards will do just fine. I think they've learned not to take anything for granted and to never let up. Do you have a girl on the team?

Our kids had their spring banquet tonight and there were still a few teary eyes. :( Some consolation was our district award announcements. Our (freshman) catcher #6 was 23AAA defensive MVP and lo and behold, my #13 was offensive MVP. Not the regional semi's, but still a nice recognition for those two.

Now don't let us down!!!! Go Lady Cardinals. Win it all. :D

We'll be back!

middleagecardinal
05-13-2003, 07:11 AM
Congrats to your girls. Yes, I have one playing. My (step)daughter pitched the first game Saturday and played centerfield Friday night and the 2nd game on Saturday.

Brahma73
05-13-2003, 09:40 PM
You've got to be proud of her! All that talent and just a Soph. Go get 'em!

FormerBellvilleBrahma
05-13-2003, 10:07 PM
Hey 73, how are you? Great job by the girls this year, and thumbs up for Kate! I know you know alot about the team, how many starters do we have coming back, and what are the repacements look like for the Srs?
Well I guess we have to wait for football and volleyball season, to cheer for our Bellville Brahmas, and Brahmanetts! I know we should be one of the teams to beat in our region in football, what do we have coming back in coach Brewers world!
Go Bellville High School!!!!!!!

PPHSfan
05-14-2003, 03:05 PM
Old Cardinal:
I see where another Top 10 Poll team was ELIMINATED Iowa Park 1 Decatur 0; Huffman-Hargrave lost to #1 Splendora 2-1 They had a real good season; Lindale scored 10 points totally dominating Pilot Point, who did not score; Jefferson wins 2-1 in Nine innings, over Rusk. Mount Vernon scores 2 Atlanta 1Wow thanks Old Bird, I did not realize that PP was a top ten team....oh wait a minute...your just making sure you slam the girls for losing...they were not even ranked, or even in region lll. You like picking on little girls don't you. :D

<small>[ May 14, 2003, 03:08 PM: Message edited by: PPHSfan ]</small>

Old Cardinal
05-14-2003, 03:24 PM
PP.: Iowa Park eliminated Decatur, who was a rated team...The rest of the info was just scores on other games-I don't think any of the other teams but Decatur were ever rated teams...You are grasping at straws again little buddy...

PPHSfan
05-14-2003, 03:51 PM
Straws?...I never claimed to be rated in the mighty 3A. I was just poking at you for picking on girls. You know dang good and well you were picking on Pilot Point when you made that post, otherwise you would have pointed out all of their winnig scores this year. You never mentioned the girls until they were eliminated. I don't once remember you posting anything about them winning a single game. LOL.

Brahma73
05-14-2003, 06:38 PM
FormerBellvilleBrahma:
Hey 73, how are you? Great job by the girls this year, and thumbs up for Kate! I know you know alot about the team, how many starters do we have coming back, and what are the repacements look like for the Srs?
Well I guess we have to wait for football and volleyball season, to cheer for our Bellville Brahmas, and Brahmanetts! I know we should be one of the teams to beat in our region in football, what do we have coming back in coach Brewers world!
Go Bellville High School!!!!!!!Most of the sticks this year were underclassmen, and I expect all those starters to return. Outfielder (& pitcher) Meier led off most of the time this year and Cathcer Sloan batted third the last part and in the playoffs. They're both Freshmen and very solid performers at the plate and in the field. Jrs. Buenger & Blezinger batted 4th & 5th and they look solid to stay there. Blezinger was cash in the bank at second (she can pitch some, too) and Buenger will likely stay in the OF when she's not pitching, but can also play 1st. Freshman Lange will probably step into an infield position and Soph Pawlak can play 1st, but both need a lot of experience at the varsity level. Soph Pieper will return to pitch, and I've also seen her play pretty solid SS in ASA ball. Needs to work on the bat. Other Jrs. are Compton, who saw play in OF when Buenger pitched, and Moreno, a speedster who ran bases a lot. Both need a lot of work at the plate to handle top-level varsity pitching. Compton can catch & play short, and Moreno is an outfielder. Overall, I feel really good about the returning nucleus.
Don't know a whole lot about the JV squad. Their pitcher Yezak has fair velocity, but is all over the place. Needs to work on control. Don't know about their hitters, but there'll probably be a few to step up to the next level. Coach Aschenbeck will do a good job finding them. :)

As for VB, Brewer's group will be short on Srs. again and depleted in a few other areas as well. She's managed to "make a little room" for youth again. :rolleyes: Since I'm close to one of the "casualties," I'll not comment further.

Go Brahmas & Brahmanettes

FormerBellvilleBrahma
05-14-2003, 10:31 PM
Hey 73 thanks for the info!! Whats up with the Brewer thing, it sounds like the upper classmen I mean girls, are allways dropping out of the program, do you know what is up with that?
Go Bellville High School Students!!!!!!

Old Cardinal
05-15-2003, 10:57 AM
To FormerBellvilleBrahma: The older girls dropping out, happens all over the State. It's caused by two lethal aromas-that of gasoline and after shave lotion!

<small>[ May 15, 2003, 01:28 PM: Message edited by: Old Cardinal ]</small>

Bellville22
05-15-2003, 02:38 PM
Old Card: I'm afraid that down here in B-town the girls drop out for another reason, but like 73, I'm not gonna get into that. My sis was one of the "casualties", and she loves volleyball more than gasoline, after shave, and most things in this world. What's really sad is that she's very very good. But hey, there's always club ball.