PDA

View Full Version : Steakhouse owner refuses to serve O.J.

luvhoops34
05-09-2007, 12:05 PM
I don't blame this guy one bit!

May 9, 2007, 9:55AM
Steakhouse owner refuses to serve O.J., orders him out

By BETH CAMPBELL
Associated Press

LOUISVILLE, Ky. — The owner of an upscale steakhouse in Louisville said he asked O.J. Simpson to leave his restaurant the night before the Kentucky Derby because he is sickened by the attention Simpson still attracts.

"I didn't want to serve him because of my convictions of what he's done to those families," Jeff Ruby said in a telephone interview Tuesday. "The way he continues to torture the lives of those families ... with his behavior, attitude and conduct."

Simpson, an NFL Hall of Famer and Heisman Trophy winner, was found innocent in 1995 of killing his ex-wife, Nicole Brown Simpson, and Ron Goldman but was found liable in a civil trial that followed.

Ruby — who owns restaurants in Cincinnati, Louisville and Belterra, Ind. — said Simpson, who was in town for the Derby on Saturday, came in with a group of about 12 Friday night and was seated at a table in the back. A customer came up to Ruby and was "giddy" about seeing Simpson, Ruby said.

"I didn't want that experience in my restaurant," Ruby said, later adding that seeing Simpson get so much attention "makes me sick to my stomach."

He said he went to Simpson's table and said, "I'm not serving you." Ruby said when Simpson didn't respond, he repeated himself and left the room.

Ruby said Simpson soon came up to him and said he understood and would gather the rest of his party to leave.

Simpson's attorney, Yale Galanter, said the incident was about race, and he intended to pursue the matter and possibly go after the restaurant's liquor license.

"He screwed with the wrong guy, he really did," Galanter said by telephone Tuesday night.

Ruby said the incident had to do with Simpson's past.

"It was the first time since 1994 he has ever shown any class," Ruby said. "He showed it that night in the restaurant" by leaving quietly.

Ruby said after Simpson left, people in the restaurant started applauding him. He said he has received about 100 positive e-mails since the incident.

The walls of Ruby's restaurants are decorated with celebrity photos. A photo of Simpson and Ruby used to be on display, but Ruby said he took it down after the killings.

Maroon87
05-09-2007, 12:08 PM
When I first read the title I thought, "Who would order orange juice at a steakhouse anyway?":doh: :nerd:

big daddy russ
05-09-2007, 12:15 PM
Originally posted by Maroon87
When I first read the title I thought, "Who would order orange juice at a steakhouse anyway?":doh: :nerd:
Haha, that's what I thought.

JasperDog94
05-09-2007, 12:50 PM
Originally posted by luvhoops34
Simpson's attorney, Yale Galanter, said the incident was about race, and he intended to pursue the matter and possibly go after the restaurant's liquor license.

"He screwed with the wrong guy, he really did," Galanter said by telephone Tuesday night. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Ranger Mom
05-09-2007, 01:14 PM
I guess I am just naive...when I read that part where his attorney said it was "about race"...I was shocked!!

When I read, see, or hear anything about OJ Simpson...I don't think about him being a black man, I think about him being a murderer who got away with it!

Fotbol
05-09-2007, 01:16 PM
Originally posted by Ranger Mom
I guess I am just naive...when I read that part where his attorney said it was "about race"...I was shocked!!

When I read, see, or hear anything about OJ Simpson...I don't think about him being a black man, I think about him being a murderer who got away with it! This man owns a chain of Steak Houses, if he wants to deny someone from eating in his establishment, then that's his right, I heard on the Radio that he didn't like the Attention O. J. was getting, I also heard the young lady had a few choice words for the owner.

pirate4state
05-09-2007, 01:19 PM
Originally posted by Maroon87
When I first read the title I thought, "Who would order orange juice at a steakhouse anyway?":doh: :nerd: HAHA

I wonder if that guy has a "we have the right to refuse service" :thinking:

Good for him!

Ranger Mom
05-09-2007, 01:20 PM
Originally posted by Fotbol
This man owns a chain of Steak Houses, if he wants to deny someone from eating in his establishment, then that's his right, I heard on the Radio that he didn't like the Attention O. J. was getting, I also heard the young lady had a few choice words for the owner.

Young lady?? Did I miss something about that in the article?

BTEXDAD
05-09-2007, 01:22 PM

When I read, see, or hear anything about OJ Simpson...I don't think about him being a black man, I think about him being a murderer who got away with it!

agree 100%, Mom.
Even right after trial it was made out by many to be a black man who overcame crooked white cops and was able to beat the system that was constantly keeping the black man down, and Johnnie Cochran started getting all kinds of black against white cases after that.
I felt same as you. It was a murderer getting away with it because he could afford better attorneys than the ones who were trying to prosecute him.

themsu97
05-09-2007, 01:24 PM
said this on the other board and will say it here as well...

I think the owner does have the right to say no to whoever... it is just the classless way he went about it... the owner of the establishment was outclassed by OJ... and what he said to OJ's date was way out of line...OJ should sue for slander... opinions will vary but he was acquitted, whether we like it or not...
how many of you would be applauding this owner if he kicked Bill Clinton out for his actions with Monica?

Ranger Mom
05-09-2007, 01:29 PM
Originally posted by themsu97

I think the owner does have the right to say no to whoever... it is just the classless way he went about it... the owner of the establishment was outclassed by OJ... and what he said to OJ's date was way out of line...OJ should sue for slander... opinions will vary but he was acquitted, whether we like it or not...
how many of you would be applauding this owner if he kicked Bill Clinton out for his actions with Monica?

What am I missing?? What did he say to OJ's date?? Was that in the above article and I just skipped over it?

sww-bull52
05-09-2007, 01:33 PM
how many of you would be applauding this owner if he kicked Bill Clinton out for his actions with Monica? [/B][/QUOTE]

I would

BTEXDAD
05-09-2007, 01:36 PM

I wouldn't applaud, but I would laugh if he refused to serve Bill. :D

44INAROW
05-09-2007, 01:36 PM

I must have missed it, what did the owner say to the date? I must not be reading the entire article - don't see where any accusations were made against OJ - I am not defending the owner, just trying to get all the facts.
and I don't care if OJ was purple and had orange hair - this has nothing to do with race -

pirate4state
05-09-2007, 01:38 PM
Originally posted by BTEXDAD
I wouldn't applaud, but I would laugh if he refused to serve Bill. :D Do you mean service? :devil: :evillol: :evillol:

themsu97
05-09-2007, 01:38 PM
it is on another board where OJ's date had a few words for the owner who then told her to be careful or OJ would slit her throat... if that is true that is way out of line...

I wonder if the owner treats all other preceived criminals that way...

44INAROW
05-09-2007, 01:41 PM
it is on another board where OJ's date had a few words for the owner who then told her to be careful or OJ would slit her throat... if that is true that is way out of line...

that's the great thing about this county - the same system that aquitted OJ - gives the owner the RIGHT to refuse service to anyone

Fotbol
05-09-2007, 01:42 PM
Let's not make this a Black White thang, don't get it twisted O.J. hasn't been black since he won the Heisman Trophy
2nd of all I don't care if you white, black, brown, or green, if you break the law you should pay no matter what your color, creed, or financial background(unfortunatley, our judicail systems sucks)
last but not least I don't think we as black people looked at the trial as the white man holding down the black man, with a crooked white cop, that couldn't frame a black man. I think if you were around when slavery was here then you could blame the white man for holding down the black man and woman down, but if you were born here, attending school, got the right to vote, and make a living, it's time to stop blaming the white man for our downfalls, we a Black people have to make our own way, and not depend on handouts, foodstamps, etc. It's time we teach our children to be self suffiecient, work, family values, and the belief in a Higher power(GOD) Thank you very much from a Black Man
Life is tough, but you have choices Black people!

sww-bull52
05-09-2007, 01:44 PM
:clap: :clap: Very Well Put:clap: :clap:

Ranger Mom
05-09-2007, 01:45 PM

If that is true....it was a very crappy thing to say!!

Fotbol
05-09-2007, 01:47 PM
If that is true....it was a very crappy thing to say!! RM you know as well as I know the world is a cruel place, no room for the weak!

themsu97
05-09-2007, 01:47 PM
I just honestly feel that OJ is innocent... I know , I know, ya'll will crucify me for that... just my honest opinion... I mean I do not think that he is the person who actually did it... could he have paid someone... possible, or does he know who did it... I think that is a possibility as well...
too many crooked people involved for me to make an educated opinion...
but the jury was there and saw and heard everything and they felt he was innocent so I have to go with that...

Old Green
05-09-2007, 01:48 PM
Let's not make this a Black White thang, don't get it twisted O.J. hasn't been black since he won the Heisman Trophy
2nd of all I don't care if you white, black, brown, or green, if you break the law you should pay no matter what your color, creed, or financial background(unfortunatley, our judicail systems sucks)
last but not least I don't think we as black people looked at the trial as the white man holding down the black man, with a crooked white cop, that couldn't frame a black man. I think if you were around when slavery was here then you could blame the white man for holding down the black man and woman down, but if you were born here, attending school, got the right to vote, and make a living, it's time to stop blaming the white man for our downfalls, we a Black people have to make our own way, and not depend on handouts, foodstamps, etc. It's time we teach our children to be self suffiecient, work, family values, and the belief in a Higher power(GOD) Thank you very much from a Black Man
Life is tough, but you have choices Black people! :clap: :clap: I applaud you Fotbol. I have the same sentiments.

Ranger Mom
05-09-2007, 01:50 PM

That was beautiful!!:clap: :clap:

You are officially my "hero for the day"!!:D

theyoefnshow
05-09-2007, 01:51 PM
I say innocent as well. thing is, this guy got pissed at the attention and nothing more. if he didn't want them there, he shouldve caught em at the door and not made a scene. I don't think its a race thing at all but the owner clearly knew that this would get attention and likely business for his establishment.

themsu97
05-09-2007, 01:52 PM
the owner did it for publicity... plain and simple... made a scene and an a$$ out of himself at the same time...

44INAROW
05-09-2007, 01:55 PM

Fotbol for President :clap: :clap: :clap: nicely put and sincere words....

SintonFan_inAustin
05-09-2007, 01:57 PM
the owner did it for publicity... plain and simple... made a scene and an a$$ out of himself at the same time... i hope it backfires on him!

Fotbol
05-09-2007, 02:01 PM
Thank you, Thank you carry on RM and 44 I'll be in the Area all day Sailors!::cool:

Bull Butter
05-09-2007, 02:40 PM
the owner did it for publicity... plain and simple... made a scene and an a$$ out of himself at the same time...

Check the guy's website, you'll soon find out he doesn't need the publicity or extra business. He seems to be doing quite well.

www.jeffruby.com

icu812
05-09-2007, 02:48 PM
Originally posted by theyoefnshow
I say innocent as well. thing is, this guy got pissed at the attention and nothing more. if he didn't want them there, he shouldve caught em at the door and not made a scene. I don't think its a race thing at all but the owner clearly knew that this would get attention and likely business for his establishment.

Pissed at the attention?? He had a photo up of OJ from a previous visit before OJ killed, then he took the photo down. The owner took a stand for what he believed was right. Sure his business is now getting some attention........from OJ's attorneys. What he did took courage if you ask me. The young lady would be wise to consider the owners words.

I can't believe anyone still thinks OJ isn't guilty.

1. The 9-1-1 call and the history of Simpson's violence directed at Nicole Brown.
2. Hair evidence: (1) hairs consistent with that of Simpson found on cap at Bundy residence, (2) hairs consistent with that of Simpson found on Ron Goldman's shirt.

3. Fiber evidence: (1) cotton fibers consistent with the carpet in the Bronco found on glove at Rockingham, (2) fibers consistent with the carpet from the Bronco found on cap at Bundy residence.

4. Blood evidence: (1) killer dropped blood near shoe prints at Bundy, (2) blood dropped at Bundy was of same type as Simpson's (about 0.5% of population would match), (3) Simpson had fresh cuts on left hand on day after murder, (4) blood found in Bronco, (5) blood found in foyer and master bedroom of Simpson home, (5) blood found on Simpson's driveway.

5. Glove evidence: (1) left glove found at Bundy and right glove found at Simpson residence are Aris Light gloves, size XL, (2) Nicole Brown bought pair of Aris Light XL gloves in 1990 at Bloomingdale's, (3) Simpson wore Aris Light gloves from 1990 to June, 1994.

6. Shoe evidence: (1) shoe prints found at Bundy were from a size 12 Bruno Magli shoe, (2) bloody shoe impression on Bronco carpet is consistent with a Magli shoe, (3) Simpson wore a size 12 shoe.

7. Other evidence: (1) flight in Bronco, (2) strange reaction to phone call informing him of Nicole Brown's death, etc.

pirate44
05-09-2007, 03:00 PM
i understand people loved this post, but i cant even read the part everyone loved because i cant get over the assinine first sentence. i cant stand people who categorize and stereotype races. my wife, even though she is hispanic, was told she was trying to be "white" in her school days just because she wanted to make good grades. so the fact you are saying the human debris known as OJ simpson hasnt been black since the Heisman, is the dumbest thing ive heard all day.

Fotbol
05-09-2007, 03:10 PM
Originally posted by pirate44
i understand people loved this post, but i cant even read the part everyone loved because i cant get over the assinine first sentence. i cant stand people who categorize and stereotype races. my wife, even though she is hispanic, was told she was trying to be "white" in her school days just because she wanted to make good grades. so the fact you are saying the human debris known as OJ simpson hasnt been black since the Heisman, is the dumbest thing ive heard all day.

Calling a human debris isn't too shaby BTW!:thinking:

SintonFan_inAustin
05-09-2007, 03:28 PM
Refusing service to somebody of what they have done that has nothing to do with ur business is what gets me. If he had came in and make a scene towards other customers i see nothing wrong with him refusing service but to judge people as soon as they walk in the door is :doh: . Sure i almost 100% sure he should had been convicted of murder but dont take the law into ur hands and convict the guy as soon as he walked thru that door.

BTEXDAD
05-09-2007, 03:33 PM
Originally posted by SintonFan_inAustin
Refusing service to somebody of what they have done that has nothing to do with ur business is what gets me. If he had came in and make a scene towards other customers i see nothing wrong with him refusing service but to judge people as soon as they walk in the door is :doh: . Sure i almost 100% sure he should had been convicted of murder but dont take the law into ur hands and convict the guy as soon as he walked thru that door.

The owner of restaurant depends on public for income, but it is HIS business and he can run it how he wants and has right to refuse service to anyone.
Would you invite O.J. into your home to break bread with you?
I personally wouldn't. I don't think the restaurant owner considered it to be any different than that.

Ranger Mom
05-09-2007, 03:35 PM
Originally posted by BTEXDAD
The owner of restaurant depends on public for income, but it is HIS business and he can run it how he wants and has right to refuse service to anyone.
Would you invite O.J. into your home to break bread with you?
I personally wouldn't. I don't think the restaurant owner considered it to be any different than that.

I agree....if I owned a business like that and a known "pedaphile"..for example.... came in to eat.....I would make him (or her, as the case may be) leave too!!

pirate44
05-09-2007, 03:38 PM
Calling a human debris isn't too shaby BTW!:thinking:
i reserve that one for the people who think they can play butcher with human lives

JasperDog94
05-09-2007, 03:44 PM
Originally posted by SintonFan_inAustin
... dont take the law into ur hands and convict the guy as soon as he walked thru that door. Everyone seems to be forgetting that OJ was found guilty in the civil trial.:thinking:

Fotbol
05-09-2007, 03:45 PM
i reserve that one for the people who think they can play butcher with human lives
That solves it, you can say what you want, and so can I!

JasperDog94
05-09-2007, 03:48 PM
... he shouldve caught em at the door and not made a scene. I don't think the owner greets everyone at the door when they walk in. As soon as he found out that OJ was there, he walked over to him and told him that he would not be served.

pirate44
05-09-2007, 03:49 PM
That solves it, you can say what you want, and so can I!
im not saying you cant say it, im just saying in my opinion it's asinine. and ive read several of your race baiting posts in the past, so it really doesnt suprise me.

carter08
05-09-2007, 03:56 PM
If Denny Crane had been his lawyer, then O.J. would have been proven so innocent that people would have been giving him steakhouses and proclaiming that O.J. was the second coming of the Messiah.

Because Denny Crane is that good.

Fotbol
05-09-2007, 03:58 PM
im not saying you cant say it, im just saying in my opinion it's asinine. and ive read several of your race baiting posts in the past, so it really doesnt suprise me.
I've read several of your post in the past also, you have no room for judgement potna! One love, I'm out it's 3:58 and a working man is Out this @#$#$#$

pirate44
05-09-2007, 04:05 PM
I've read several of your post in the past also, you have no room for judgement potna! One love, I'm out it's 3:58 and a working man is Out this @#$#$#$ i'll tell ya what. id be honored if you start a thread and quote every post ive made that offends you.

Ranger Mom
05-09-2007, 04:13 PM
i'll tell ya what. id be honored if you start a thread and quote every post ive made that offends you.

Oh please no!!:eek:

pirate44
05-09-2007, 04:51 PM
but fotbol is right about the judging thing. and i apologize if it read as if i was judging him. i was upset over his comment. in most all ive read, he seems nice and likable. in fact, he makes it hard to argue with him. LOL. but hopefully he can see my point of view.

pirate44
05-09-2007, 04:52 PM
Oh please no!!:eek:
there's that many, huh? :D

theyoefnshow
05-09-2007, 05:16 PM
Originally posted by icu812
Pissed at the attention?? He had a photo up of OJ from a previous visit before OJ killed, then he took the photo down. The owner took a stand for what he believed was right. Sure his business is now getting some attention........from OJ's attorneys. What he did took courage if you ask me. The young lady would be wise to consider the owners words.

I can't believe anyone still thinks OJ isn't guilty.

1. The 9-1-1 call and the history of Simpson's violence directed at Nicole Brown.
2. Hair evidence: (1) hairs consistent with that of Simpson found on cap at Bundy residence, (2) hairs consistent with that of Simpson found on Ron Goldman's shirt.

3. Fiber evidence: (1) cotton fibers consistent with the carpet in the Bronco found on glove at Rockingham, (2) fibers consistent with the carpet from the Bronco found on cap at Bundy residence.

4. Blood evidence: (1) killer dropped blood near shoe prints at Bundy, (2) blood dropped at Bundy was of same type as Simpson's (about 0.5% of population would match), (3) Simpson had fresh cuts on left hand on day after murder, (4) blood found in Bronco, (5) blood found in foyer and master bedroom of Simpson home, (5) blood found on Simpson's driveway.

5. Glove evidence: (1) left glove found at Bundy and right glove found at Simpson residence are Aris Light gloves, size XL, (2) Nicole Brown bought pair of Aris Light XL gloves in 1990 at Bloomingdale's, (3) Simpson wore Aris Light gloves from 1990 to June, 1994.

6. Shoe evidence: (1) shoe prints found at Bundy were from a size 12 Bruno Magli shoe, (2) bloody shoe impression on Bronco carpet is consistent with a Magli shoe, (3) Simpson wore a size 12 shoe.

7. Other evidence: (1) flight in Bronco, (2) strange reaction to phone call informing him of Nicole Brown's death, etc.

I'm sorry who are you again?

theyoefnshow
05-09-2007, 05:21 PM
Originally posted by JasperDog94
I don't think the owner greets everyone at the door when they walk in. As soon as he found out that OJ was there, he walked over to him and told him that he would not be served.

maybe. but I disagree.

"I didn't want that experience in my restaurant," Ruby said, later adding that seeing Simpson get so much attention "makes me sick to my stomach."

He went up to OJ AFTER a patron was acting like a little girl about him being there.

Ranger Mom
05-09-2007, 05:42 PM

He went up to OJ AFTER a patron was acting like a little girl about him being there.

Maybe that was his first indication!

luvhoops34
05-09-2007, 06:18 PM
The owner of a restaurant has the right to refuse service to anyone for any reason, whether we think it's a good one or not.

OJ is a scum bag and I wouldn't want to serve him in my place of business under any circumstances.

This isn't about whether we think OJ is guilty or innocent. Just the restaurant owners rights.

Personally, I applaud the guy for asking OJ to leave.