PDA

View Full Version : HELP...Question???

Ranger Mom
05-09-2007, 10:53 AM
What are those things called that you build.....for example...they start out with a candle flame burning a string making the marble fall and start a chain reaction of events??

One of my kids friends has to build one for one of her classes and it has to have at least 10 "events".

Anyone have a clue what I am talking about????

DU_stud04
05-09-2007, 11:03 AM
rube goldberg

my groups design won uta's freshman engineer design project. it was awesome

Ranger Mom
05-09-2007, 11:07 AM
Originally posted by DU_stud04
rube goldberg

my groups design won uta's freshman engineer design project. it was awesome

Any hints, ideas.....anything???

DU_stud04
05-09-2007, 11:08 AM
Originally posted by Ranger Mom
Any hints, ideas.....anything??? any specifics? time requirements? does it have to be self resetting? is it supposed to do a certain task? alittle info and ill draw something up for you.

Ranger Mom
05-09-2007, 11:17 AM
any specifics? time requirements? does it have to be self resetting? is it supposed to do a certain task? alittle info and ill draw something up for you.

I don't think it has to be self resetting....all I know for sure is that it is 10 pts for every "event"....so if she has 7 she can still pass.

I didn't know if there was a site or something that might give a little insight!

DU_stud04
05-09-2007, 11:23 AM
I don't think it has to be self resetting....all I know for sure is that it is 10 pts for every "event"....so if she has 7 she can still pass.

I didn't know if there was a site or something that might give a little insight! so it can do anything????

i did one in highschool that shot a plastic toy soldier throught a tiny goal post. it was cool.

in thinking by event your meaning "steps" right?

ie. (1)dominoes knocked each other over to (2)push a marble down a shaft, (3)marble fall into a cup. (4)cuplifts seesaw,(5) seesaw knocks over more dominoes,(6) dominoes set off mouse trap, (7)mousetrap attached to string and pulls over glass of water over kellye's head.

Ranger Mom
05-09-2007, 11:26 AM
so it can do anything????

i did one in highschool that shot a plastic toy soldier throught a tiny goal post. it was cool.

in thinking by event your meaning "steps" right?

ie. (1)dominoes knocked each other over to (2)push a marble down a shaft, (3)marble fall into a cup. (4)cuplifts seesaw,(5) seesaw knocks over more dominoes,(6) dominoes set off mouse trap, (7)mousetrap attached to string and pulls over glass of water over kellye's head.

I am assuming the "event" she keeps talking about is a step! She doesn't need anything elaborate...she just wants something simple and not too time consuming.....seeing as she put this off til the very last minute anyway!!

:rolleyes:

Reds fan
05-09-2007, 11:26 AM
Wonder if they would let you go buy the game "mousetrap":D

Ranger Mom
05-09-2007, 11:28 AM
Originally posted by Reds fan
Wonder if they would let you go buy the game "mousetrap":D

LOL!! That's what her boyfriend suggested....she said the teacher already shot that idea down.

Looks like dominoes is the best "filler" though!

I was just looking at some different ones on youtube.....the Honda one is COOL!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UScbWzhieNc

DU_stud04
05-09-2007, 11:29 AM
first step... takeapart a honda vehical....(video) :D (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UScbWzhieNc)

Ranger Mom
05-09-2007, 11:31 AM
first step... takeapart a honda vehical....(video) :D (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UScbWzhieNc)

LOL!! That's the one I just posted too!!!

DU_stud04
05-09-2007, 11:33 AM
I am assuming the "event" she keeps talking about is a step! She doesn't need anything elaborate...she just wants something simple and not too time consuming.....seeing as she put this off til the very last minute anyway!!

:rolleyes: a set of dominoes, a mouse tap or two, marbles, cardboard, hotglue gun, clothes pins....lemme think of something that would be funny.

DU_stud04
05-09-2007, 11:34 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DtVkzgKObv0

these are awesome. the Japanese have this thing down.