PDA

View Full Version : World's best athlete

Emerson1
05-08-2007, 04:09 PM
http://msn.foxsports.com/other/story/6741576?MSNHPHCP&GT1=10035

Adidas410s
05-08-2007, 04:13 PM
ha....the only thing keeping Tiger from being tied for 1st is the stigma " Okay, I hear you, how much athletic ability do you need in a sport that made Craig Stadler a millionaire? "

BullFrog Dad
05-08-2007, 04:34 PM
They had narrowed the list down to five finalists — Kobe Bryant, Tiger Woods, LaDainian Tomlinson, Roger Federer and LeBron James — to be judged in five categories: wow factor, athletic ability, showmanship, idolization and things you've never seen before.

Showmanship and idolization were factors in this study. What a bunch of BS.

Emerson1
05-08-2007, 04:43 PM
Originally posted by BullFrog Dad
They had narrowed the list down to five finalists — Kobe Bryant, Tiger Woods, LaDainian Tomlinson, Roger Federer and LeBron James — to be judged in five categories: wow factor, athletic ability, showmanship, idolization and things you've never seen before.

Showmanship and idolization were factors in this study. What a bunch of BS.
What else can you judge it on?

BullFrog Dad
05-08-2007, 05:13 PM
Originally posted by Emerson1
What else can you judge it on? That all depends. Are we looking for world's best athlete or most popular? Showmanship and idolization are better suited to determine the most popular athlete IMO.

Bull19
05-08-2007, 07:44 PM
lance armstrong?

AggiesAreWe
05-09-2007, 07:46 AM
That list is a joke when you are considering the best athlete. Being the best at your sport doesn't mean your are a world's best athlete. I would consider a multi faceted, multiple sport athlete over these guys. Someone like a gold medal winning decathelon to me would be a better choice. Or someone like a Dave Winfield, who was drafted in the first round in the NFL, NBA, and Major League drafts. Show me you can do more than one sport and excel in that also, then I could consider one as a great athlete.

themsu97
05-09-2007, 07:55 AM
the problem is the "right Now" factor... most of my complaints are not with the athletes themselves but with the media... today's media is so fascinated with who is the best... you cannot tell now who is the best...
yeah, Tiger is an athlete but golfers in general are not... so Tiger being the best athlete in golf well...

let's go back to ESPN's athlete of the century... nothing against Michael Jordan, but is MJ really a better athlete than Jim Thorpe? who was a decathlete in the Olympics, played NFL football and minor league baseball and even competed in a few professional golf events?
or even Babe Zaharius (SP)? who won tennis matches, golf events, competed in the Olympics and was rumored to throw a baseball around 90?

it is the media trying to convince us that we live the greatest era ever of all sports... I just do not buy into it all

Fotbol
05-09-2007, 08:17 AM
LT is the perfect Athelete, I hate the fact he an his father hadn't quite broke bread yet, I'm wondering if this will affect his perfomance this upcoming season? He get's my vote, and Yes I'm a HOmer.

burnet44
05-09-2007, 08:39 AM
Decathlon

Roman Sebric/CZE G๖tzis, AUT

World Record 9026 points

Individual Event Scores

100m-------LJ-------SP-------HJ--------400m----110HH----Discus----PV--------------Jav---------1500m
10.64--26 7 1/2--50' 4"---6' 11 1/4"--- 47.79---13.92---157' 10"---15' 8 3/4"---230' 2 1/2"---4:21.98

yeah its the media
not the best athlete
see if ant of the above can do that

everyone has their sports
this is a group of different events

an athlete is one who can do many different things well
while the above are great athletes at their sport

they are in no way the best arthlete

maybe within their sport

and notice how Kobe keeps comming up
while he is sitting at home
while Nash, Duncan, ect still play

just another way of the media to try to individualize sports
to sell more stuff
people dont by a Fakers jersey without Kobe's name on it

remember the media needs the ad money to keep going

this is just a way to perpetuate sales

kids will read this
argue and buy jerseys

its the media helping sales

burnet44
05-09-2007, 08:51 AM
like I said

Kobe from the article

"Not only were talk radio callers presuming his innocence — when all they had was his word — but parents were still letting their pre-teen daughters wear Kobe jerseys at Staples Center. Speaking of jerseys, Kobe's No. 24 is the top seller in the U.S. and, incredibly, China. Score: 10."

James

"Nike wagered $90 million that LeBron would be worshipped. So far The Chosen One has not disappointed, though some might say his obsession with his worldwide brand has robbed him of his killer instinct on the court. He needs to win a title to max out in this category. Score: 9."

LT

Do you think when he was wearing it former Charger QB John Hadl could have imagined a sea of people wearing No. 21 jerseys? Score: 10.

but i do agree
LT has class
way above the rest
Woods too
Ferder is good

the rest are just there to SHOW
its all SHOW anyway

remember the bigger the SHOW
the less the substance

GreenMonster
05-09-2007, 09:11 AM
Originally posted by Adidas410s
" Okay, I hear you, how much athletic ability do you need in a sport that made Craig Stadler a millionaire? "

All hail the WALRUS!!!!