PDA

View Full Version : whats wrong with country music?

bhtrainer
05-08-2007, 03:00 PM

Txbroadcaster
05-08-2007, 03:01 PM
it suxs

CHS_CG
Nothing but my country is in this order...

TEXAS COUNTRY
New/ newer Country

old country

BuffyMars
LOL! Its just not for everyone.

bhtrainer
05-08-2007, 03:03 PM
i havent even listened to the radio all i listen to is cd's cuz here they never play texas country but my most played cd is...

CROSS CANADIAN RAGWEED:)

Txbroadcaster
05-08-2007, 03:03 PM
What exactly IS Texas Country?

Is it Texas Country because the singer says I am driving down the back roads of Austin instead of Memphis? How is the music different? The styles? The influence?

Fotbol
05-08-2007, 03:04 PM
Originally posted by bhtrainer
It's a lot like the Blues, it's always sad story type, that gets you down!:( :(

BuffyMars
Oh, while we are at it....I have a question.

Is "Texas country" like the alternative country music?

Sorry if I don't get it. I had never heard of Texas country until I came on here.

And if it is the "alternative" to country, does it sound any different than regular country, and if so, what is so different about it? :confused:

crzyjournalist03
You ever try playing a country song backwards?

You get your dog back, your wife back, your truck back...

bhtrainer
Originally posted by Txbroadcaster

Is it Texas Country because the singer says I am driving down the back roads of Austin instead of Memphis? How is the music different? The styles? The influence?

its not something you can explain...you just hear the song and know it

eagles_victory
05-08-2007, 03:05 PM
i love country im so excited about the ACMS

Txbroadcaster
05-08-2007, 03:06 PM
its not something you can explain...you just hear the song and know it

Sorry but that is a cop out..You name music a certain way because of its style.

Bull19
05-08-2007, 03:06 PM
its a stupid name they put on the music.....its either good or bad music

CHS_CG
05-08-2007, 03:07 PM
Originally posted by Fotbol
It's a lot like the Blues, it's always sad story type, that gets you down!:( :(

not true... Listen to some Cross Canadian Ragweed... almost none of their songs are "get you down" type of music

carter08
Well the songwritin's left up to old hillbillies
Young hippies and rednecks and girls like Miss Emmylou
I'm too young to have a point of view
But I just want to be a part of fightin' the Nashville blues

BuffyMars
Originally posted by crzyjournalist03
You ever try playing a country song backwards?

You get your dog back, your wife back, your truck back...

OMG!!!!!! THAT IS THE BEST POST OF THE DAY! Thanks, that was great!! :clap: :clap:

bhtrainer
05-08-2007, 03:08 PM
Sorry but that is a cop out..You name music a certain way because of its style.

no, i mean different people classify it as different ways...i may say...cross canadian ragweed plays texas country and Talena may disagree and say no southern rock...its all how you see it

Txbroadcaster
no, i mean different people classify it as different ways...i may say...cross canadian ragweed plays texas country and Talena may disagree and say no southern rock...its all how you see it

But what MAKES it Texas Country?

RMAC

I feel that Texas Country has a far less "Pop" feel to it. If you listen to a song by Rascal Flats then listen to a song by Randy Rogers, you can tell a big difference, not in just the words. To me, there's really 3 types of country; Texas(Casey Donahew, RRB, No Justice, ect.), Nashville(Rascal Flats, Taylor Swift, Brooks and Dunn), and what I've been reaching back to a lot lately is what I call "Good" country, or the back when there was only country and none of this Nashville/Texas Country complex. To me, some examples of this are King George, Clay Walker, Garth, JMM, guys like that.

bhtrainer
05-08-2007, 03:09 PM
Originally posted by carter08
Well the songwritin's left up to old hillbillies
Young hippies and rednecks and girls like Miss Emmylou
I'm too young to have a point of view
But I just want to be a part of fightin' the Nashville blues

good call carter...thats an amazing song...cory morrow is amazing

CHS_CG

nah its Texas country with a kick of rock!

Adidas410s

Well Ragweed isn't Texas Country...they (like Jason Boland) are from Oklahoma so their music would be considered Red Dirt Music.

bhtrainer
05-08-2007, 03:10 PM
Originally posted by CHS_CG
nah its Texas country with a kick of rock!

see TX its all how you see it...maybe Talena can give you a better explanation of wut defines texas country

BuffyMars
05-08-2007, 03:10 PM
Originally posted by RMAC
I feel that Texas Country has a far less "Pop" feel to it. If you listen to a song by Rascal Flats then listen to a song by Randy Rogers, you can tell a big difference, not in just the words. To me, there's really 3 types of country; Texas(Casey Donahew, RRB, No Justice, ect.), Nashville(Rascal Flats, Taylor Swift, Brooks and Dunn), and what I've been reaching back to a lot lately is what I call "Good" country, or the back when there was only country and none of this Nashville/Texas Country complex. To me, some examples of this are King George, Clay Walker, Garth, JMM, guys like that.

I have heard of 2 of those people, lol. That doesn't help me much unfortunately. :hairpunk:

Bull19
05-08-2007, 03:11 PM
But what MAKES it Texas Country?

its a stupid name they label certain music...take ragweed..how can u call it texas country when they arent even from tx????

tx country is mainly the stuff that they dont play on national radio...like jack ingram he was considered tx country now since he is nationally mainstreem people think he isnt any more:rolleyes: yes its stupid, that is why the whole "tx country" thing is dumb...its either country, rock, etc.......but if u really wanna call something tx country then id have to say its george strait, clay walker, etc....guys who play country that are actually from tx

bhtrainer
05-08-2007, 03:11 PM
Originally posted by Adidas410s
Well Ragweed isn't Texas Country...they (like Jason Boland) are from Oklahoma so their music would be considered Red Dirt Music.

yes however they are big on the texas country circuit so i think its safe to classify them as texas country

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
05-08-2007, 03:12 PM
There's a long, black train, comin' down the line....

BuffyMars
05-08-2007, 03:12 PM

WT.....:confused: :confused:

I am way more lost now than I was in the beginning. It sounds to me like these country music stars are trying to make themselves sound "more country" by giving it a rebellious name.

:confused: :confused:

Adidas410s
05-08-2007, 03:13 PM

to answer your questions...

1 - no
2 - it's different because
3 - yes the style is different...typically more roots rock (NOT pop) and/or 1st gen Texas Music (Jerry Jeff, Waylon, Willie, Kristopherson)
4 - see above...the influences will be far reaching depending on the artist. For example...somebody like Pat Green will mention Jerry Jeff, Robert Earl Keen, and Willie as influences with his early writings. The more he wrote...he says he draws more on the works of Springsteen and, to a lesser extent, Mellencamp.

BuffyMars
Originally posted by Bull19
its a stupid name they label certain music...take ragweed..how can u call it texas country when they arent even from tx????

tx country is mainly the stuff that they dont play on national radio...like jack ingram he was considered tx country now since he is nationally mainstreem people think he isnt any more:rolleyes: yes its stupid, that is why the whole "tx country" thing is dumb...its either country, rock, etc.......but if u really wanna call something tx country then id have to say its george strait, clay walker, etc....guys who play country that are actually from tx

Ok, see that helps me a little bit.

So, Texas country is like Indie music is to mainstream music? AM I understanding this correctly?

Txbroadcaster
Originally posted by BuffyMars

I am way more lost now than I was in the beginning. It sounds to me like these country music stars are trying to make themselves sound "more country" by giving it a rebellious name.

DING DING DING WINNER

These people are using a so called Rise agianst the machine that is Country music to make money

They claim they are agianst how "mainstream" Country is now days and that they are the REAL country singers..ALL to MAKE MONEY LOL

Bull19
05-08-2007, 03:15 PM
Ok, see that helps me a little bit.

So, Texas country is like Indie music is to mainstream music? AM I understanding this correctly?

yes

bhtrainer
05-08-2007, 03:18 PM
yeah but there are some texas country singers who you just cant consider texas country anymore...they have conformed to nashville...

take jack ingram for instance...

listen to barbie doll

and then Wherever you Are...

pat green is another good example...but i love him too much to diss him

Txbroadcaster
05-08-2007, 03:19 PM
yeah but there are some texas country singers who you just cant consider texas country anymore...they have conformed to nashville...

listen to barbie doll

OK so give me an example of Texas Country lyrics and Nashville Country lyrics..and why it is different

RiverRat19
05-08-2007, 03:20 PM
In general terms, music on most country music stations and CMT comes from artists who are recorded and marketed by the record lables out of Nashville. Not all, but most. Also the majority of these musicians (by and large) do not write their own music and play what the lables present to them to play. These lables have their own songwriters who make songs that are designed to be radio hits. Most of this music has a bit of a Top 40 or even Pop sound and feel to it.

Texas Music (which often includes music described as Americana or Alternative Country) is usually performed by artists who write their own music (or the grand majority of it) and are recorded on independent lables or offshoots of major lables. They play smaller venues and often struggle for radio airtime. Their music is often more like folk, blues, bluegrass, southern rock, or a combination of the genres. These are the singers/songwriters rather than the more polished performers that you see on mainstream country radio and CMT.

Bull19
05-08-2007, 03:21 PM

listen to barbie doll

:rolleyes: this statement proves just how stupid the whole "tx country" name tag is......its either good or bad. not nashville/ or tx or w/e.

RMAC
05-08-2007, 03:21 PM
DING DING DING WINNER

These people are using a so called Rise agianst the machine that is Country music to make money

They claim they are agianst how "mainstream" Country is now days and that they are the REAL country singers..ALL to MAKE MONEY LOL

"Country"
Let's define this word as it is part of everyone of us. To me, country is being from Texas first and foremost; but you can be country from and not be from Texas just as easily. Hank William's song "Country Boy can Survive", to me, really personafies what it means to be country. He says north California to Southern Alabama, there's country people all over. Throughout the entire song he tells about people from the country and how even though some may too stubborn to change, we'll get by just fine. So it's kinda the same way with the whole music thing. It's just like cliques when we were in middle school. We're all the same age, size, maturity, we just had a different group to hang out with. One type of country isn't better than the other, it's just different and that's fine. They all put out good songs and they all put out bad songs, and that's what the business is. The "Nashville" guys, are the one's who's parents are white-collar and they always seem to get what they want. While the "Texas" country seem to me to be the children of the blue-collar parents, and while they might not have as much money, they're happy with what they're doing as well. In the end, we're all country and we can take solace in that fact if nothing else.

bhtrainer
05-08-2007, 03:23 PM
OK so give me an example of Texas Country lyrics and Nashville Country lyrics..and why it is different

its not a matter of lyrics...its music...nashville sounds more pop....texas country sounds more "unrehearsed" if you will...more ragged

Adidas410s
05-08-2007, 03:23 PM

They dont give it a name...the scene gives it a name. Also, a lot of people call it Texas country when in fact it is Texas MUSIC. As I just wrote...the influences are so broad that you can't hamper the scene under a specific genre of music. There is one common denomenator though that seperates those in the Texas/Red Dirt MUSIC scene from those that you hear on the radio...what makes these artists/bands isn't the number of albums that they sell or where their songs land on the charts...it's all about the live show. Of all of the bands within the T/RD scene that I listen to...not one of them did I latch on to because I liked their album. Every one of them I saw live first and then bought the album. A few years ago, if you went and saw Pat Green, Cory Morrow, or Ragweed...you would find a Wade Bowen, Randy Rogers, or Reckless Kelly opening for them. That's how the music spreads...by live shows and word of mouth. Also...these bands play a lot more shows in a year than any mainstream artist would ever consider doing. For example, in an interview with CMT last year...the Randy Rogers Band told them "we set a minimum goal of at least 250 shows in a year. For us to feel like we're doing our job to spread the music to as many people as possible...we need to do as many shows as possible."

I'm sure that's too much writing and just might confuse you...so I'll leave you with a quote from Pat Green. When asked what is his goal for his music and for the Texas scene...he replied, "To take Texas to the masses." :)

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
05-08-2007, 03:24 PM
To me, country music reminds me of a book I once read called "The Puppy Who Lost His Way."

RMAC
05-08-2007, 03:24 PM
Originally posted by BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
To me, country music reminds me of a book I once read called "The Puppy Who Lost His Way."

Haha.

BuffyMars
05-08-2007, 03:25 PM
They dont give it a name...the scene gives it a name. Also, a lot of people call it Texas country when in fact it is Texas MUSIC. As I just wrote...the influences are so broad that you can't hamper the scene under a specific genre of music. There is one common denomenator though that seperates those in the Texas/Red Dirt MUSIC scene from those that you hear on the radio...what makes these artists/bands isn't the number of albums that they sell or where their songs land on the charts...it's all about the live show. Of all of the bands within the T/RD scene that I listen to...not one of them did I latch on to because I liked their album. Every one of them I saw live first and then bought the album. A few years ago, if you went and saw Pat Green, Cory Morrow, or Ragweed...you would find a Wade Bowen, Randy Rogers, or Reckless Kelly opening for them. That's how the music spreads...by live shows and word of mouth. Also...these bands play a lot more shows in a year than any mainstream artist would ever consider doing. For example, in an interview with CMT last year...the Randy Rogers Band told them "we set a minimum goal of at least 250 shows in a year. For us to feel like we're doing our job to spread the music to as many people as possible...we need to do as many shows as possible."

I'm sure that's too much writing and just might confuse you...so I'll leave you with a quote from Pat Green. When asked what is his goal for his music and for the Texas scene...he replied, "To take Texas to the masses." :)

I do respect they try to have as many shows as possible. It always irks me when a band I really want to see is only touring in Europe or Asia.

big daddy russ
05-08-2007, 03:43 PM

Texas Country hardly exists anymore. Pat Green, Cross Canadian Ragweed, Jack Ingram (all of whom I used to love) and a bunch of others have almost killed the genre. The genre you hear on the radio today is no longer Texas Country. It's actually called "Texas Music" these days.

Texas Music is a blend of Red Dirt Music, Texas Country, Southern Rock, and alternative music... with some commercialization.

Texas Country is still pretty small. Guys like Willie Nelson (he's gone back to Nashville, but still has that sound), Guy Clark, Robert Earl Keen (still pretty big), Jerry Jeff Walker, Max Stalling, the Robison brothers (Bruce and Charlie), Billy Joe Shaver, Owen Temple, and, yes, Roger Creager and Cory Morrow (both still pretty big) are Texas Country.

It's known for being a blend of country, folk, and Americana, but still having a raw sound. Combine all that with the voice and storytelling of songwriters, not artists, and that's what Texas Country is supposed to be. At least that's the way it was originally defined. Most of the stuff on the radio today isn't Texas Country, it's just modern country that happened to come from Texas.

Originally, it was a brand of music that wanted to get away from the mainstream and back to the roots, but it's mainstream all over again. If "Texas Country" has changed Nashville at all, it's just made it more commercialized.

In my opinion, Roger Creager, Cory Morrow, Jason Boland, and that group of guys are the last bridge between Texas Country and Country/modern country/alternative country (a direct descendant of what used to be known as "Red Dirt Music" with bands like the Red Dirt Rangers, the Great Divide, Andre Williams, Randy Crouch, and Cross Canadian Ragweed)/whatever else is out there these days.

To tell you the truth, the only new "Texas Country" artist I listen to these days is Aaron Watson... and he's just an old school honky-tonk kid, not a "Texas Country" artist.

If you still want to hear the genre itself, make a trip down to Luckenbach any given Saturday night. It'll help give you a perfect definition of what Texas Country is.

Sorry guys, this is a sore spot for me.

Adidas410s
05-08-2007, 03:45 PM
Originally posted by big daddy russ
The genre you hear on the radio today is no longer Texas Country. It's actually called "Texas Music" these days.

Agree 100%. It's definitely a big misconception that people have....

LH Panther Mom
05-08-2007, 04:09 PM

I guess you can see by the answers, no one knows. :D ;)

Adidas410s
05-08-2007, 04:10 PM
Originally posted by LH Panther Mom
I guess you can see by the answers, no one knows. :D ;)
That's just it...there is no right or wrong answer to that question. It's a matter of personal opinion and is open to interpretation.

big daddy russ
05-08-2007, 04:12 PM
Agree 100%. It's definitely a big misconception that people have....
And each definitely has their own sound. The more you listen, the more you can tell.

If you want the "sound" of each genre, these are a few CD's that perfectly define the sound of each IMO.

TEXAS COUNTRY
1. Guy Clark- Keepers
2. Robert Earl Keen- No. 2 Live Dinner

The perfect "Texas Country" song... Guy Clark, "The Cape."

TEXAS MUSIC
1. Pat Green- Wave on Wave
2. Cross Canadian Ragweed- Garage

The band that's the perfect mix of the two, IMO, is Reckless Kelly. They can pull off either genre extremely well, though they fit more into the Texas Music genre

Macarthur
05-08-2007, 04:29 PM
Originally posted by RMAC

I'm sorry, but you just lost a ton of credibility there when you lump Garth in with those guys.

Garth started the death of country music. If Garth and Clay Walker are what you call going back to "good country", how do you classify Cash, Haggard, Jones, Jennings, Nelson?

RMAC
05-08-2007, 04:46 PM
DING DING DING WINNER

"Country"
Let's define this word as it is part of everyone of us. To me, country is being from Texas first and foremost; but you can be country from and not be from Texas just as easily. Hank William's song "Country Boy can Survive", to me, really personafies what it means to be country. He says north California to Southern Alabama, there's country people all over. Throughout the entire song he tells about people from the country and how even though some may too stubborn to change, we'll get by just fine. So it's kinda the same way with the whole music thing. It's just like cliques when we were in middle school. We're all the same age, size, maturity, we just had a different group to hang out with. One type of country isn't better than the other, it's just different and that's fine. They all put out good songs and they all put out bad songs, and that's what the busine

BuffyMars
05-08-2007, 04:49 PM
Isn't there a song about "Country is a state of mind?"

I could be imagining this, but I swear I remember a song like this. I don't remember anything else, so its possible that I just made it up. :crazy1:

Maybe by Randy Travis? :confused:

Old Tiger
05-08-2007, 05:22 PM
Originally posted by CHS_CG
not true... Listen to some Cross Canadian Ragweed... almost none of their songs are "get you down" type of music They don't consider themselves country musicians.

Old Tiger
05-08-2007, 05:25 PM
Real country is a dying breed. To hear real country you have to go to the early days of the music up until the late 90s. Now days everything is to "pop" oriented in music. It is rediculous how some singers like Trace Adkins think they are country music. Below are examples of country musicians;

Reba
George Strait
George Jones
Conway Twitty
and so on

JJ7997
05-08-2007, 05:46 PM
I am partial to alot of the acts mentioned here in the Texas or Red Dirt type, but you can have that crap like Trace Adkins, Rascal Faggs, and such. If it sounds good to me I listen to it, that simple. Is is surprising that I am also a fan of Punk,Grunge, Heavy Metal, and such ? It shouldnt be, I just like music.

DDBooger
05-08-2007, 05:48 PM
TEXAS country is great!

JJ7997
05-08-2007, 05:48 PM
it suxs

And what may I ask do you listen to ?

AP Panther Fan
05-08-2007, 06:01 PM
This song reminds me of Texas Country or Texas Music....

Colors Are All The Same
Skip Brown/Bill Pekar

She was born in College Station; her daddy had a farmer’s PHD
Her first steps were taken with the Corps on Kyle Field
When she graduated, she bought a maroon pick-up truck
They celebrated down at the Dixie Chicken when she opened her vet practice up

Now he was born Austin, his daddy had a store down on the drag
Ever since the school had opened, relatives were Longhorn grads
His room was painted orange, he was getting his degree
In the band playing French horn, first row, second seat

Gig ‘em Aggies, Hook ‘em Horns
One side’s maroon, the other, burnt orange

He saw her at a concert, way before Robert Earl Keen
She was wearin’ an Aggie shirt, to him it didn’t mean a thing
He pushed his way on through the crowd like any ol’ hungry bull would do
When he was close enough he shouted, “Hey, mind if I sit by you?”

She turned around and stared at him, couldn’t believe her eyes
He had a burnt orange jacket, Longhorns from side to side
Well she looked again and took a chance, said “That’s OK with me”
Something in that second chance went beyond the rivalry

When your eyes are closed and you’re in the dark,
The colors are all the same
Just two beating hearts not playing any games

You can gig ‘em, you can hook ‘em
One thing’ll never change

When she went to meet his Mother, she was wearing a cowboy hat
When they left they hugged each other, Mom said, “You’re always welcome back”
When she took him home to Daddy, she worried about the ring in his ear
He was makin’ pretty good money but his tattoo was pretty clear

Well they decided to get married, bridesmaids wore maroon
The ring bearer carried a burnt orange package to the groom
Well the ring that he gave her was diamond mounted on two thumbs
Sitting on a Longhorn cradle, cause when it’s said and done

Now all they had to do was figure out where they’re gonna live
Well they flipped a coin and that is how she got her way over his
Well they vacationed up in Kerrville, they went down to the coast
Their first born they named Earl, you should have heard them boast

Every year at Thanksgiving, Earl could take either side
All the birthday gifts he was given were hints they couldn’t hide
There were 12th man T-shirts and Longhorns of every size
His first two words were, “Gig ‘em Bevo”, always playing both sides

Gig ‘em Aggies, Hook ‘em Horns
One side’s maroon, the other, burnt orange

When it came time to go to college, Earl didn’t know what to do
His Dad wanted him in Austin, his Mom in maroon
Well, the moral of this story, is if you listen to this song
Where do y’all think he went to college?, well , you just might be wrong

Well he tried both universities and you don’t have to wonder how
He says with all sincerity…
“I’m a Southwest Texas Bobcat now!”

Built using ASP.net
Comments / Suggestions

Copyright 2004 Bill Pekar

RMAC
05-08-2007, 06:12 PM
Originally posted by Macarthur
I'm sorry, but you just lost a ton of credibility there when you lump Garth in with those guys.

Garth started the death of country music. If Garth and Clay Walker are what you call going back to "good country", how do you classify Cash, Haggard, Jones, Jennings, Nelson?

The man sold over 115 million albums . . . what kind of music was he playing? As far as Cash and No Show and the like, I personally consider them really the fathers of country music. They are the old school.