PDA

View Full Version : diego corrales killed in motorcycle accident

DU_stud04
05-08-2007, 01:48 AM
link to boxingtalk (http://www.boxingtalk.com/pag/article12159.html) :(

DU_stud04
05-08-2007, 01:49 AM
Diego Corrales, a former world champion who scored one of the most memorable knockouts in boxing history, was killed in a Las Vegas motorcycle accident, his manager, James Prince said.

A spokesman at the Las Vegas Metropolitan Police Department confirmed there was an accident at the intersection of Fort Apache and Russell Roads in southwest Las Vegas, but would not provide any additional details.

Prince, who had just arrived at the scene shortly after 9:50 p.m. PDT, said "It's true, I'm sad to say. I'm looking at the scene now."

Police spokesman Tracy McDonald said the driver of a black 2007 Suzuki 1000 motorcycle came upon a 1997 Honda Accord and struck it in the rear. Corrales' bike careened into the southbound lane and apparently fell from the motorcycle and his body was struck by a 2004 Mercedes traveling in the opposite direction.

There were no outward signs of drug or alcohol involved, according to McDonald. Police would not release the names of other drivers involved, but said the driver of the Accord, a woman, complained of a shoulder injury. She remained at the scene.

McDonald said it was too early to know what caused the accident. "We're still assessing things. There's a lot of evidence here. We can't determine at this time how fast the motorcycle was going."

"He was the greatest kid, and that’s what he was, a kid," said boxing manager and longtime friend Butch Gotlieb. "He had the heart of a lion, but he just liked to play. I can't believe I'm talking about him in the past tense. He was as good as they come and I feel like I lost one of my own."

Gotlieb said Corrales' wife Michelle was at the scene.

Corrales, 29, held world titles at junior lightweight and lightweight. He scored one of the most memorable knockouts in boxing history on May 7, 2005, when he got up after having been knocked down twice in the 10th round by Jose Luis Castillo and stopped Castillo.

Many experts have called it one of the most exciting fights in history. Corrales, who is survived by his wife, Michelle, was 40-5.

DU_stud04
05-08-2007, 01:53 AM
corrales vs. castillo memorable 10th round. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c3_hc5lvBk8)
its crazy how this kind of stuff happens, rest in piece diego.

DU_stud04
05-08-2007, 10:42 AM