PDA

View Full Version : To my fellow photographers

Adidas410s
05-07-2007, 03:34 PM
I learned a very valuable lesson about the importance of post processing your photos. I posted some from the Rangers game last week that I had done little if any work on other than cropping. After some advice on a photo forum...I learned some great things to think about in processing and it definitely made a difference. I hope this example can help those on here who like to shoot:

here's the original photo:

http://img337.imageshack.us/img337/5749/p1013325qx5.jpg

- Obviously my lens isn't big enough to create the tight shot that one would want, so I had to crop the picture to focus on the action and remove all of the dead space. After the crop...I ended up with this shot (with some minor sharpening)

http://img130.imageshack.us/img130/712/yayianuf6.jpg

- I was pleased with this picture...and just assumed that because of my limitations in equipment and software that this is as good as it would get. However, I had the following suggestions given to me:

1. It needs to be straitened - look at the vertical lines of the wall & you'll see your level was off a bit.

2. Framing - there's a lot of dead space behind the player and not much space for the ball to move in to. So if you have the uncropped version I would suggest sliding the crop quite a bit to the left - put the right edge about half-way over the bag - this still leaves the reference point that the bag is right there but it allows the focus point to be shifted towards the action more because the action won't be at the edge of the frame.

- So from there...I started from scratch and after about 15 minutes (and the downloading of a free noise reduction program) later...I ended up with this:

http://img511.imageshack.us/img511/7534/iankinslersr2.jpg

The moral of the story is don't give up on a photo and settle for something average. Also, just seek out compliments and praise for your work. You'll only get better by seeking the advice and constructive criticism of those who are more knowledgeable than you.

Equipment
Olympus e500 (entry level dSLR camera that includes 2 mid-range lenses with it. This setup is the best value on the market for any introductory amateur photographer.)
Zuiko 40:150mm (picture taken at 150mm)

Software (all free)
Paint.Net (by Microsoft)
Noiseware Community Edition (their other versions cost $$ but the community one is free)

That concludes random life lessons from Adidas :)

sww-bull52
05-07-2007, 03:38 PM
Cool shot Adidas:cool:

Phil C
05-07-2007, 03:38 PM
Fantastic Work!

:clap: :clap: :clap:

AP Panther Fan
05-07-2007, 03:46 PM
Amazing difference. I was impressed with the first suggestion of "straightening" the photo. Heck I hadn't even noticed it wasn't straight.

Looks great!:)

pirate4state
05-07-2007, 03:47 PM
In your last edit job the sharpness is so sharp that the pants look painted on!!! :eek: :eek: Almost cartoon like :thinking: Anyone else seeing this?

Adidas410s
05-07-2007, 03:49 PM
Originally posted by pirate4state
In your last edit job the sharpness is so sharp that the pants look painted on!!! :eek: :eek: Almost cartoon like :thinking: Anyone else seeing this?
Most of us don't focus on that part of the picture! ;) (damn it...I'm hijacking my own thread)

Snyder_TigerFan
05-07-2007, 03:54 PM
In the last photo, there is a weird line between his right leg and the grass. Is that what you were referring to P4S?

I too liked the suggestion of straightening the photo.

Adidas410s
05-07-2007, 03:55 PM
I think that is some reflection as it's in all of the pics...even the original one.

AP Panther Fan
05-07-2007, 03:57 PM
Originally posted by Adidas410s
Most of us don't focus on that part of the picture! ;) (damn it...I'm hijacking my own thread)

now that you mention it, I forgot to carefully check out that part of the photo :thinking:

nah, looks good to me...:D

Snyder_TigerFan
05-07-2007, 03:57 PM
I think that is some reflection as it's in all of the pics...even the original one.

The black line that runs along the edge of his right leg?

Old Tiger
05-07-2007, 03:58 PM
Your final product looks a lot better. More centered. Great

LH Panther Mom
05-07-2007, 04:02 PM
In your last edit job the sharpness is so sharp that the pants look painted on!!! :eek: :eek: You would notice the pants. ;)

pirate4state
05-07-2007, 04:04 PM
Most of us don't focus on that part of the picture! ;) (damn it...I'm hijacking my own thread) LOL wow I wasn't even talking about THAT, but now that you mention it...nah, it looks fine. ;)

Adidas410s
05-07-2007, 04:04 PM
Originally posted by Snyder_TigerFan
The black line that runs along the edge of his right leg?
That's most likely the pinstripe on that side of his leg. In a picture with such contrast, if I was to sharpen it too much it would make him look seperated by a white outline...

Here's that same pic with 12x more sharpness added to it. You can see how it distinctly outlines/highlights him:

http://img513.imageshack.us/img513/5273/iankinslerbz9.jpg

pirate4state
05-07-2007, 04:06 PM
That's most likely the pinstripe on that side of his leg. In a picture with such contrast, if I was to sharpen it too much it would make him look seperated by a white outline...

Here's that same pic with 12x more sharpness added to it. You can see how it distinctly outlines/highlights him:

YIKES!!! That hurts my eyes!!! :eek: :eek: :eek:

AP Panther Fan
05-07-2007, 04:09 PM

He looks scary in that photo...look at his face...evil.:eek:

Adidas410s
05-07-2007, 04:12 PM
YIKES!!! That hurts my eyes!!! :eek: :eek: :eek:
It starts to look like somebody drew it instead of an actual photo. I started playing with some weird effects from there...and it can get pretty cool/weird depending on your tastes.

pirate4state
05-07-2007, 04:13 PM
It starts to look like somebody drew it instead of an actual photo. I started playing with some weird effects from there...and it can get pretty cool/weird depending on your tastes. Yeah, that's what I was talking about with my pant comment. :p