PDA

View Full Version : Woman denied degree over photo, sues university

Txbroadcaster
05-07-2007, 02:22 PM
MILLERSVILLE, Pennsylvania (AP) -- A woman denied a teaching degree on the eve of graduation because of a MySpace photo has sued the university.

Millersville University instead granted Stacy Snyder a degree in English last year after learning of her Web-published picture, which bore the caption "Drunken Pirate."

"I dreamed about being a teacher for a long time," said Snyder, 27, who now works as a nanny. (Watch Snyder describe how she cried for a week over decision )

The photo, taken at a 2005 Halloween party, shows Snyder wearing a pirate hat while drinking from a plastic "Mr. Goodbar" cup. It was posted on her own MySpace site.

Although Snyder apologized, she learned the day before graduation that she would not be awarded an education degree or teaching certificate.

Jane S. Bray, dean of the School of Education, accused Snyder of promoting underage drinking, the suit states.

The federal lawsuit seeks at least $75,000 in damages. Millersville spokeswoman Janet Kacskos referred questions to a state System of Higher Education spokesman, who declined comment.

Video
http://www.cnn.com/video/player/player.html?url=/video/law/2007/05/06/pkg.pa.degree.lost.myspace.whp

BuffyMars
05-07-2007, 02:26 PM
She wasn't even underage at the time! That is bogus! :mad:

Phil C
05-07-2007, 02:28 PM
Man that's pretty rough punishment for what was obviously a gag. If the University was that strict they should visit some of those fraternity get togethers.

pirate4state
05-07-2007, 02:31 PM
This is bizarre!

Ranger Mom
05-07-2007, 02:36 PM
Originally posted by pirate4state
This is bizarre!

That is one of the stupidest things I have seen all day!!

She wasn't underage so who cares if she WAS drinking??

pirate4state
05-07-2007, 02:41 PM
Originally posted by Ranger Mom
That is one of the stupidest things I have seen all day!!

She wasn't underage so who cares if she WAS drinking??

and how exactly is she promoting under aged drinking? :thinking:

my head hurts!

Ranger Mom
05-07-2007, 02:43 PM
and how exactly is she promoting under

I know!!!
:mad: :mad: :mad:

Stupid - Stupid - STUPID!!!

crzyjournalist03
05-07-2007, 02:51 PM
and how exactly is she promoting under aged drinking? :thinking:

my head hurts!

Let me take a wild guess...Mr. Goodbar is a candy bar. Kids like candy. She was in a Halloween costume. Kids like Halloween. The title of the photo used the term "drunken". Therefore, clearly, she is using Mr. Goodbar and a costume to appeal to children and encourage them to drink!!!! :nerd: :devil: :twitch:

sww-bull52
05-07-2007, 02:53 PM
Originally posted by crzyjournalist03
Let me take a wild guess...Mr. Goodbar is a candy bar. Kids like candy. She was in a Halloween costume. Kids like Halloween. The title of the photo used the term "drunken". Therefore, clearly, she is using Mr. Goodbar and a costume to appeal to children and encourage them to drink!!!! :nerd: :devil: :twitch:

Just like Joe Camel was used to lure kids to smoke, right?:devil:

crzyjournalist03
05-07-2007, 02:55 PM
Originally posted by sww-bull52
Just like Joe Camel was used to lure kids to smoke, right?:devil:

BINGO!!!

Actually, if you watch the video, there's nothing said about underage drinking. Apparently, the school found it to be distasteful and show a "lack of professionalism". That was their reasoning for changing her degree.

pirate4state
05-07-2007, 02:55 PM
Originally posted by crzyjournalist03

OWCHI :twitch: :twitch:

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
05-07-2007, 04:36 PM
The school has no right to look persecute someone for doing something that was within the law and within her civil rights. She went to a school and spent tens of thousands of dollars and was denied the reward for all of her hard work because someone thinks they have the right to pass judgment. This is ridiculous, I'm sure that the people who decided this have their own problems and vices that are much worse than a girl going to a Halloween party and fulfilling every right she has as an American citizen.

Txbroadcaster
05-07-2007, 04:41 PM
Originally posted by BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
The school has no right to look persecute someone for doing something that was within the law and within her civil rights. She went to a school and spent tens of thousands of dollars and was denied the reward for all of her hard work because someone thinks they have the right to pass judgment. This is ridiculous, I'm sure that the people who decided this have their own problems and vices that are much worse than a girl going to a Halloween party and fulfilling every right she has as an American citizen.

All depends on if she signed anything saying she would not put the school in a bad light with her actions. ALOT of schools are falling back on that in cases like this

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
05-07-2007, 04:44 PM
Originally posted by Txbroadcaster
All depends on if she signed anything saying she would not put the school in a bad light with her actions. ALOT of schools are falling back on that in cases like this

How does that put the school in a bad light? If that is the case, you can punish 70-80% of all college students for going out and partying.

Old Tiger
05-07-2007, 04:45 PM
http://www.thesmokinggun.com/graphics/art3/0426072pirate1.jpg

Txbroadcaster
05-07-2007, 04:47 PM
How does that put the school in a bad light? If that is the case, you can punish 70-80% of all college students for going out and partying.

Oh I agree....But their mascot is the MArauders..they will prob try to say she is saying people at the school drink..that using something like resembling their mascot makes them look bad

I AM NOT saying that..Just saying one of the avenues they might try

AP Panther Fan
05-07-2007, 04:48 PM
this is ridiculous...she should sue for more than $75,000 (and you won't hear me say those words often).

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
05-07-2007, 04:49 PM
Oh I agree....But their mascot is the MArauders..they will prob try to say she is saying people at the school drink..that using something like resembling their mascot makes them look bad

I AM NOT saying that..Just saying one of the avenues they might try

Yeah, I get you. ;)

Txbroadcaster
05-07-2007, 04:50 PM
Yeah, I get you. ;)

you know some of the BS schools like that will use to make their case

SintonFan
05-07-2007, 04:55 PM
Originally posted by Tiger WR
http://www.thesmokinggun.com/graphics/art3/0426072pirate1.jpg
She gives Pirates a bad name!!!
Avast ye and make her swab the decks heartie!!!
All this and wearing a pepto-colored shirt and eye liner?:eek: :mad:

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
05-07-2007, 04:55 PM
you know some of the BS schools like that will use to make their case

Yeah, like tu :mad:

Just kidding.