PDA

View Full Version : Your Schools outstanding former players

Old Green
08-07-2002, 02:23 PM
I was reading the post about former players who were outstanding achievers in the olmpics and in the pro ranks.
Here is a list of ex atheletes that played for Cuero went on to the olympics and pro ranks.
Fred Hansen- 1959 Olympic pole Vault Gold Medalist.
Alois Blackwell- Played RB for the Dallas Cowboys and Kansas City Chiefs in the Late 70's & early 80's.
Henry Sheppard- Started 7 yrs. OL for cleveland Browns in the 70's and 80's.
Arthur Whittington-Starting RB For the Oakland Raiders Super Champs in the 80's.(Super Bowl ring sure is big).
Dedric Mathis- Starting Safety 3 yrs.for the Indianapolis Colts in the late 90's.
Brad Goebel- Starting QB 2 yrs. for the Philadelphia Eagles In the late 80's & early 90's.
Clint Finley-Free agent safty Kansas City Cheifs. 2001
Matt Anderson- Free agent center Pittsburg Steelers. 2002
Melvin Barnett- Free agent RB Oakland Raiders 2002.
Rodney Pedraza- The Nolan Ryan of Japenese Pro Basball. Still Hurling 100MPH fastball.
Will Carbonara- Signed with the Baltimore Orioles today.

Pretty good for a small town.

toby070
08-07-2002, 03:56 PM
not bad indeed...I think Pedraza was the best HS linebacker that I've seen.

TarponFanInNorthTexas
08-07-2002, 08:55 PM
Whatever happened to Don Arroyo? He was the big TE from Cuero's #1 ranked 1994 team. I know he signed with Baylor, but anything after that?

eye of the tiger
08-07-2002, 09:12 PM
I guess Wade Wilson is about the most famous from Commerce. Numerous years as a QB in the NFL including a stay with the Cowboys.

Old Green
08-07-2002, 09:58 PM
TarponFaninNorthtexas.He recently got married and I can't remember the town he is in. I believe he it is Corsicana .

EvermanDawg88
08-08-2002, 04:26 PM
LONGTIME major leaguer Ellis Burks went to Everman.

EvermanDawg88
08-08-2002, 04:27 PM
Barron Wortham, who played for the Oilers/Titans, and Cowboys also went to Everman.

j_dog
08-08-2002, 11:34 PM
Cuero, a very good group.

Some for Jasper:

Baseball:

RB Max Alvis, Sr, 50’s, UT, star of Sugar Bowl, then signed with Cleveland Indians, played some 13 years, widely recognized as one of the best all time third basemen in MLB.

Phil Hennigan, 60’s, beat Nolan Ryan in high school playoffs 1-0, reliever for Cleveland Indians for 5 years.

Josh Girdley, 6’ 5” flame thrower, drafted out of high school in MLB draft, I think he was the first or second player taken.

Football:
OL, Sam Adams, Sr., 60’s, How many years all pro for Patriots? Played about 12, 13 years. Recently picked to the Patriots all time team. His son, Sam, Jr, now plays for Baltimore Ravens I think it is.

QB Ben Bronson '90, Baylor as WR, briefly with Indianapolis Colts at WR, then Houston Arena team.

FB, TE, LB James Hadnot ’75, Texas Tech, SWC offensive player of year at RB, All America, played for Kansas City for three years at FB.

TE John Davis ’90 (drafted by Cowboys, was with Tampa Bay, now with Chicago Bears)

DE Phil Jones, ’66, only went out for football his senior year after two a days were over, played only 6 high school games, recruited to UH by Bum Phillips, signed with Buffalo Bills, injury forced early retirement.

LB Eugene Seale ’81, Lamar University, not “tall enough” to be recruited by the SWC geniuses, but good enough to play special teams and some linebacker for the Houston Oilers for 5 years. A prototype linebacker, 5’ 9”, 250 pounds!

DB Zack Bronson 91, plays for SF 49’s (you may have noticed his high-light interception of the week this past year)

Old Green
08-09-2002, 05:13 AM
That,s and outstanding group of athelets. Use to like watching hadnot run.