PDA

View Full Version : Poor fire ants....

BuffyMars
05-07-2007, 09:47 AM
This is actually sad.

Marshallites will be devastated come fire ant festival time!

Red fire ants facing killer virus By BETSY BLANEY, Associated Press Writer
Mon May 7, 4:04 AM ET

LUBBOCK, Texas - Imported red fire ants have plagued farmers, ranchers and others for decades. Now the reviled pests are facing a bug of their own.

ADVERTISEMENT

Researchers have pinpointed a naturally occurring virus that kills the ants, which arrived in the U.S. in the 1930s and now cause $6 billion in damage annually nationwide, including about $1.2 billion in Texas.

The virus caught the attention of U.S. Department of Agriculture researchers in Florida in 2002. The agency is now seeking commercial partners to develop the virus into a pesticide to control fire ants.

The virus was found in about 20 percent of fire ant fields, where it appears to cause the slow death of infected colonies.

"Certainly, we are excited about it," said Bob Vander Meer, the leader of the USDA research team in Gainesville, Fla. "I think the virus has great potential. No question about it."

The massive fire ant colonies destroy crops, damage farm and electrical equipment and hasten soil erosion. Humans and livestock are particularly vulnerable to the insect's stinging attacks.

With no natural predators to keep them in check, fire ants have spread across the U.S., where their numbers are now 10 times greater than in their native South America. They thrive in open sunny areas such as cropland, pastures, and urban lawns, and they like moisture.

"Sustained control is what we're trying to achieve," said Steve Valles, an entomologist in the Gainesville research lab. "Eradication is not going to happen."

Fire ants have been detected in 13 states, covering 320 million acres, and are spreading northward. The pest has been found as far north as Virginia and along parts of the California coastline.

In the laboratory, the virus, SINV-1, has proven to be self-sustaining and transmissible. Once introduced, it can eliminate a colony within three months.

That's why researchers believe the virus has potential as a viable biopesticide to control fire ants, known to scientists as Solenopsis invicta.

Although it occurs naturally in fire ants, the virus needs a stressor before it becomes deadly and begins replicating within a colony, Valles said.

Integrating the virus into ant baits could offer a tool to the pest-control industry, agricultural producers and harvesters, consumers and others for whom fire ants are a persistent problem.

The virus isn't alone in the fight against the fire ant. In South America, they have dozens of natural enemies. But researchers don't know whether those predators could be introduced here.

Among them is the small phorid fly, which seeks out fire ants and lays its eggs on them. The eggs hatch into tiny maggots that bore into the heads of their host and feed on its brains.

"The problem is we really don't know how effective these phorid flies are going to be in North America," Merchant said.

Some Texans may have thought the fire ant problem was improving. Drought conditions across much of the state in recent years have only driven them deeper under ground.

"One thing you can thank the dry weather for is it keeps the fire ants down," said Mike Merchant, an extension entomologist in the cooperative's Dallas office.

This year, wet conditions have returned and that will increase pests' visibility.

"I think those fire ants are waking up," said Bart Drees, an entomologist with the Texas Cooperative Extension in College Station.

The fire ant isn't all bad. As omnivores, they eat just about anything and can reduce tick populations in pastures and yards. Also, cotton and sugarcane growers see them as helpful. The ants munch on boll weevils, caterpillars and sugarcane borers.

"But on balance they're an ecological disaster," Merchant said. "The good that they do is far outweighed by the negative."

Ranger Mom
05-07-2007, 09:49 AM
It is kinda sad when you think about it.....but have you ever been stung by one or 10??

YEOUCH!!!!!

BuffyMars
05-07-2007, 09:51 AM
Originally posted by Ranger Mom
It is kinda sad when you think about it.....but have you ever been stung by one or 10??

YEOUCH!!!!!

I know what you mean!! I once rolled down a hill and into about 3 beds! I was covered head to toe!

But for whatever reason i still can't kill the little buggers! I am too much of a softy I tell ya!

Txbroadcaster
05-07-2007, 09:52 AM
Here is the problem

usually nature has a way of defnding itself after a virus or disease is introduced into the population.

So it might get rid of them for awhile, but will it create a badder fire ant after it develops an immunity to it?

Gobbla2001
05-07-2007, 09:52 AM
I wonder how much disease will spread to human's? buzzards and the other scavangers aren't gunna be able to take care of the road-kill etc... as fast as they could with the help of ants... might cause more human disease without them cleaning up messes...

Snyder_TigerFan
05-07-2007, 09:53 AM
Originally posted by Gobbla2001
I wonder how much disease will spread to human's? buzzards and the other scavangers aren't gunna be able to take care of the road-kill etc... as fast as they could with the help of ants... might cause more human disease without them cleaning up messes...

That was my concern too.

Gobbla2001
05-07-2007, 09:54 AM
Originally posted by Snyder_TigerFan

That was my concern too.

and fire ants are the only ants that eat meat...

BuffyMars
05-07-2007, 09:55 AM

I know, seriously! I don't thin people realize just how important each bug, bird, animal, etc etc etc is crucial to our ecosystem.

They each play a very vital role.

CHS_CG
05-07-2007, 09:57 AM
as long as they stay outta my yard and away from my daughter and ME I dont care if they stay or go!

mustang04
05-07-2007, 10:00 AM
and fire ants are the only ants that eat meat...

whoever told you that was lying to ya:nerd:

Gobbla2001
05-07-2007, 10:00 AM
Originally posted by mustang04
whoever told you that was lying to ya:nerd:

I read that somewhere... they'll bite you but they aint gunna reall eat you...

other ants are vegs

BuffyMars
05-07-2007, 10:02 AM

other ants are vegs

Dang hippie ants!

Prob smoking some doobies right now! :rolleyes:

mustang04
05-07-2007, 10:03 AM

other ants are vegs

wrong again.....

there are several types of ants around the world known for comsuming small rodents and chickens in a matter of hours

Gobbla2001
05-07-2007, 10:04 AM
wrong again.....

there are several types of ants around the world known for comsuming small rodents and chickens in a matter of hours

maybe they're the only ones in North America or something...

I swear I read it somewhere...

mustang04
05-07-2007, 10:06 AM
maybe they're the only ones in North America or something...

I swear I read it somewhere...

haha..i dunno...but i do know that there are several species of ants that will clean the bones of anything if you let them

go to google and look about the "Siafu" i think thats how it is spelled...those are some mean ants man..whew

BuffyMars
05-07-2007, 10:07 AM
wrong again.....

Why do I keep hearing a really loud buzzer going off in my head?? :thinking:

Don't answer that! :doh:

Ranger Mom
05-07-2007, 10:07 AM
Originally posted by BuffyMars
I know what you mean!! I once rolled down a hill and into about 3 beds! I was covered head to toe!

But for whatever reason i still can't kill the little buggers! I am too much of a softy I tell ya!

I know how you feel Buffy...I rescue scorpions and spiders from my house and let them go outside.......mice too, if they get in....but SHHHH, don't tell my husband!!!!!

For some reason, I have just never felt that "bond" with flies or mosquitoes though!!!:D :D

mustang04
05-07-2007, 10:08 AM
http://www.blessedquietness.com/yarn/pinching.htm

BuffyMars
05-07-2007, 10:10 AM
I know how you feel Buffy...I rescue scorpions and spiders from my house and let them go outside.......mice too, if they get in....but SHHHH, don't tell my husband!!!!!

For some reason, I have just never felt that "bond" with flies or mosquitoes though!!!:D :D

I am the exact same way. I will kill 4 things: roaches, maggots, flies & mosquitos. Pretty much anything that lives off of feces or is germ spreading.

Everything else, I will go out of my way to set it fee.

SOmeone at work once asked me if I was allergic to bees, and I said, "I don't know, I have never been stung." And they asked me, "well can you kill that one on the floor?" And I just froze and couldnt move or speak, and someone came over and stomped it right in my face.

I was mortified. :( I was going to take it oustside. :(

Txbroadcaster
05-07-2007, 10:18 AM
http://www.blessedquietness.com/yarn/pinching.htm

http://images.apple.com/uk/creative/killerants/images/antheadnew.jpg

mustang04
05-07-2007, 10:20 AM
I am the exact same way. I will kill 4 things: roaches, maggots, flies & mosquitos. Pretty much anything that lives off of feces or is germ spreading.

Everything else, I will go out of my way to set it fee.

SOmeone at work once asked me if I was allergic to bees, and I said, "I don't know, I have never been stung." And they asked me, "well can you kill that one on the floor?" And I just froze and couldnt move or speak, and someone came over and stomped it right in my face.

I was mortified. :( I was going to take it oustside. :(

i'll kill an insect or arachnid or anything of that sort with no problem...theyare like little machines...they live by instinct only and just feed and reproduce.....they don't show emotion or anything like mammals do, thats why i have no problem killing them

BuffyMars
05-07-2007, 10:20 AM
Originally posted by Txbroadcaster
http://images.apple.com/uk/creative/killerants/images/antheadnew.jpg

Remember how cute this guy was in Honey I Shrunk the Kids?

http://www.beautybabies.net/DisneyMay19/ontheant.jpg

BuffyMars
05-07-2007, 10:21 AM
i'll kill an insect or arachnid or anything of that sort with no problem...theyare like little machines...they live by instinct only and just feed and reproduce.....they don't show emotion or anything like mammals do, thats why i have no problem killing them

I know, but I still can't do it. I feel so bad.

Txbroadcaster
05-07-2007, 10:21 AM
Remember how cute this guy was in Honey I Shrunk the Kids?

http://www.beautybabies.net/DisneyMay19/ontheant.jpg

He died..it was sad

injuredinmelee
05-07-2007, 10:23 AM
oh i would like to donate money in aid of this pesticide to kill them ALL!!!

BuffyMars
05-07-2007, 10:25 AM
Originally posted by Txbroadcaster
He died..it was sad

:foul:

AP Panther Fan
05-07-2007, 11:24 AM
Originally posted by injuredinmelee
oh i would like to donate money in aid of this pesticide to kill them ALL!!!

Same here...and existing pesticides really aren't getting the job done. You can treat a mound and it just moves 3 feet in a different direction.

I am tired of being stung...Viva la Virus!:cool:

mustang04
05-07-2007, 11:31 AM
Originally posted by AP Panther Fan
Same here...and existing pesticides really aren't getting the job done. You can treat a mound and it just moves 3 feet in a different direction.

I am tired of being stung...Viva la Virus!:cool:

well...no wonder ants are attracted to you...they usually like to pursue stuff that is sweet:kiss: :)

AP Panther Fan
05-07-2007, 11:38 AM
well...no wonder ants are attracted to you...they usually like to pursue stuff that is sweet:kiss: :)

awww.....you made my day!:inlove:

Most people I know don't exactly call me sweet though...you might think differently after spending a few days with me.;) :D

mustang04
05-07-2007, 11:40 AM
awww.....you made my day!:inlove:

Most people I know don't exactly call me sweet though...you might think differently after spending a few days with me.;) :D

hey....not all sugar is sweet...but it's still sugar none-the-less:inlove:

LH Panther Mom
05-07-2007, 11:58 AM
I absolutely DETEST fire ants & almost enjoy watching the suckers die. :D I'm not a cruel person by nature, but I have gone out of my way to make sure that they eat the poison.....sprinkled it on quite heavily, then stuck a stick in the mound to stir them up & put some more on......then RAN. :devil:

If you've ever had your 2-3 year-old come in crying from TONS of ant bites from a mound that popped up in the last three hours just because he wanted to play outside......or your 5 year-old freaking out because he decided to climb the lower part of a tree and got covered in fire ant bites, so he couldn't climb down, then you might be evil too.

DEATH TO FIRE ANTS!!!!!!!!!

Ranger Mom
05-07-2007, 12:02 PM
Originally posted by LH Panther Mom
I absolutely DETEST fire ants & almost enjoy watching the suckers die. :D I'm not a cruel person by nature, but I have gone out of my way to make sure that they eat the poison.....sprinkled it on quite heavily, then stuck a stick in the mound to stir them up & put some more on......then RAN. :devil:

If you've ever had your 2-3 year-old come in crying from TONS of ant bites from a mound that popped up in the last three hours just because he wanted to play outside......or your 5 year-old freaking out because he decided to climb the lower part of a tree and got covered in fire ant bites, so he couldn't climb down, then you might be evil too.

DEATH TO FIRE ANTS!!!!!!!!!

For some reason I picture you as a deranged woman leading the Fire Ant death march with a torch in your hand right now!!!

:eek: :eek:

LH Panther Mom
05-07-2007, 12:03 PM
For some reason I picture you as a deranged woman leading the Fire Ant death march with a torch in your hand right now!!!

Let me go check the yard. :evillol: :evillol: :evillol:

crzyjournalist03
05-07-2007, 12:04 PM
I'm actually allergic to fire ant bites...a single bite will make me swell to about the size of a quarter...when people see me after a bite they ask if I was bitten by a poisonous spider. So I have no sympathy for ants!!!

AP Panther Fan
05-07-2007, 12:14 PM

LOL....even death by fire to some of their nearest relatives won't stop the darn things!:D

LHPM....I can't tell you the number of times I have had to grab the water hose and spray down my kids while they scream. I'm with you....Death to all fireants! :mad:

crzyjournalist03
05-07-2007, 12:15 PM
Anybody ever draw a circle around a bunch of them when they're on concrete? They can't walk over the chalk! If you leave them there long enough, they'll just die because they can't escape the chalk circle!

LH Panther Mom
05-07-2007, 12:19 PM
Originally posted by crzyjournalist03
Anybody ever draw a circle around a bunch of them when they're on concrete? They can't walk over the chalk! If you leave them there long enough, they'll just die because they can't escape the chalk circle!
Oooooo, no, I haven't, but thanks for the idea!

crzyjournalist03
05-07-2007, 12:22 PM
Oooooo, no, I haven't, but thanks for the idea!

see the things that children discover when they're bored?

Also, if you've ever tied a blackcat firecracker to a grasshopper, you discover that the entire body disappears, leaving no remains anywhere to be seen.

LH Panther Mom
05-07-2007, 12:27 PM
see the things that children discover when they're bored?

Also, if you've ever tied a blackcat firecracker to a grasshopper, you discover that the entire body disappears, leaving no remains anywhere to be seen.
LOL! My brother put a lit blackcat in a red ant bed and stood in the middle of the bed after it went off, when he was 5 or 6. When he was young, he was severely allergic to red ant bites. :doh:

crzyjournalist03
05-07-2007, 12:29 PM
LOL! My brother put a lit blackcat in a red ant bed and stood in the middle of the bed after it went off, when he was 5 or 6. When he was young, he was severely allergic to red ant bites. :doh:

I imagine that didn't work quite as well as it did on the grasshopper...:dispntd:

LH Panther Mom
05-07-2007, 12:38 PM
I imagine that didn't work quite as well as it did on the grasshopper...:dispntd:
Not quite......but better than the attempt at hypnotizing the rattlesnake. :doh: ;)

(Suffice it say, he's done some stupid things.)

AP Panther Fan
05-07-2007, 12:43 PM
Not quite......but better than the attempt at hypnotizing the rattlesnake. :doh: ;)

(Suffice it say, he's done some stupid things.)

lol....I bet he has struck terror into the minds of your parents more than one or two times.:D

LH Panther Mom
05-07-2007, 12:47 PM
lol....I bet he has struck terror into the minds of your parents more than one or two times.:D
Just a few :D ....and he was 21 when the rattlesnake "incident" occurred. :doh:

SintonFan
05-07-2007, 12:56 PM
http://images.apple.com/uk/creative/killerants/images/antheadnew.jpg + LHPM= http://www.blackgate.net/blog/wp-content/Dr.Evil.jpg
:D