PDA

View Full Version : Flying a Foreign Nations Flag in the USA

carter08
05-06-2007, 07:04 PM
I've noticed that when the issue of immigrants flying the Mexican Flag comes up, people get upset and say that only the American flag should be flown in America.

these same people often fly Confederate flags. That too is the flag of a foreign nation, one that actually took the time to rebel from the United States and fight against them.

Whats the difference? Why do people hate seeing a Mexican flag flown and rejoice when a Confederate Flag is flown

shankbear
05-06-2007, 07:05 PM
they are both wrong.

Pmoney
05-06-2007, 07:10 PM
Originally posted by shankbear
they are both wrong.
i agree...

carter08
05-06-2007, 07:16 PM
Originally posted by shankbear
they are both wrong.

yet the same narrow minded individuals condeming those flying a Mexican flag go home and drink beer under a Confederate flag.

Some people are so ignorant

Glad no one on the Downlow does that

hopefully

sinton66
05-06-2007, 07:29 PM
Originally posted by carter08
I've noticed that when the issue of immigrants flying the Mexican Flag comes up, people get upset and say that only the American flag should be flown in America.

these same people often fly Confederate flags. That too is the flag of a foreign nation, one that actually took the time to rebel from the United States and fight against them.

Whats the difference? Why do people hate seeing a Mexican flag flown and rejoice when a Confederate Flag is flown

Show me a picture of this "Confederate Flag" you speak of.

carter08
05-06-2007, 07:32 PM
Originally posted by sinton66

The Battle Flag of the Confederacy is STILL a flag belonging to a foreign nation, even if not the official flag.

sinton66
05-06-2007, 07:35 PM
Originally posted by carter08
The Battle Flag of the Confederacy is STILL a flag belonging to a foreign nation, even if not the official flag.

The Texas state flag belonged to a foreign nation too, I don't see you complaining about us flying that. The only difference is that people with small minds and limited vision don't equate the Texas flag with slavery.

bulldogman06
05-06-2007, 07:37 PM
The Texas state flag belonged to a foreign nation too, I don't see you complaining about us flying that. The only difference is that people with small minds and limited vision don't equate the Texas flag with slavery.
the confederate flag represents a dead country, im not sayin its right, but its not the same

carter08
05-06-2007, 07:38 PM

the Texas flag has been recognized as the official State Flag

The Confederate Battle Flag is not an official state flag of the United States of America

sinton66
05-06-2007, 07:47 PM
The Texas Flag was also recognized as the official flag of an independant soverign nation`(one that indulged slavery at the time). That is exactly my point. The Battle flag was NEVER recognized as the flag of a "foreign nation" as you seem to want to continue to state even though you've been proven wrong before.

carter08
05-06-2007, 07:56 PM
The Texas Flag was also recognized as the official flag of an independant soverign nation`(one that indulged slavery at the time). That is exactly my point. The Battle flag was NEVER recognized as the flag of a "foreign nation" as you seem to want to continue to state even though you've been proven wrong before.

it is the Battle Flag of a foreign nation.

Lets use the USSR as an alternate example

Official USSR Flag=http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/a/a9/Flag_of_the_Soviet_Union.svg/125px-Flag_of_the_Soviet_Union.svg.png
Hammer and Sickle representing USSR= http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c109/CrazyMick/communism-5705.jpg

The second one may not be the officialflag, but it still represents a dead foreign nation, and I should still be scorned for displaying it in public

Bull19
05-06-2007, 07:59 PM
you lost carter,,,,let it go

RMAC
05-06-2007, 08:01 PM
I think maybe some people are just sick of seeing it wherever we go. I mean, if I see a Russian flag or a Jamaican flag on a car, I'm probably not going to think anything of it. But it seems like wherever I go nowadays, I see more Mexican flags than American ones. Personally, I think some people jsut get sick of being hounded by it all the time and its just people getting tired of it.

Adidas410s
05-06-2007, 08:03 PM

While the confederacy was never officialy recognized by any European countries, the British supplied military supplies and ran blockade runners to provide support to the fledgling and shortlived nation. To me...providing integral supplies and support to the Confederacy constitutes the Brits acknowledging them as a nation.

Adidas410s
05-06-2007, 08:05 PM
I believe this is what you are looking for...

http://images.encarta.msn.com/xrefmedia/sharemed/targets/images/pho/00012/00012C78.jpg

crzyjournalist03
05-06-2007, 08:07 PM
Originally posted by Adidas410s
To me...providing integral supplies and support to the Confederacy constitutes the Brits acknowledging them as a nation.

Providing supplies doesn't mean acknowledgement...it means that they wanted the Confederate states to become a nation. In order to be "recognized", countries have to go to great lengths to make their acknowledgement official. There are several countries that are just now recognizing Israel as a nation, despite the fact that the US recognized them back in 1945...nobody ever officially recognized the Confederacy; they might have aided the Confederates, but that didn't make them a nation.

Adidas410s
05-06-2007, 08:16 PM
Originally posted by crzyjournalist03
Providing supplies doesn't mean acknowledgement...it means that they wanted the Confederate states to become a nation. In order to be "recognized", countries have to go to great lengths to make their acknowledgement official. There are several countries that are just now recognizing Israel as a nation, despite the fact that the US recognized them back in 1945...nobody ever officially recognized the Confederacy; they might have aided the Confederates, but that didn't make them a nation.

I agree...it's simply a difference in interpretation of their attention. The process of officially acknowledging somebody can take time...and or a complete lack of willingness to "step out on a limb." Like you said...you wouldn't provide support if you didn't want to see them become a nation.

crzyjournalist03
05-06-2007, 08:17 PM
Originally posted by Adidas410s
I agree...it's simply a difference in interpretation of their attention. The process of officially acknowledging somebody can take time...and or a complete lack of willingness to "step out on a limb." Like you said...you wouldn't provide support if you didn't want to see them become a nation.

I wasn't trying to correct you really...just trying to show that sinton66 wins if you want to talk about it technically.

sinton66
05-06-2007, 08:18 PM
Well, Addidas, you actually missed the point of my post anyway. I wasn't disputing the fact that the Confederacy was a nation, I was disputing the statement that the Battle Flag was ever considered it's official flag.

Adidas410s
05-06-2007, 08:20 PM
Originally posted by crzyjournalist03
I wasn't trying to correct you really...just trying to show that sinton66 wins if you want to talk about it technically.

oh I'm not debating facts...they are what they are. I was discussing the issue as a matter of personal opinion and interpretation of the facts.

crzyjournalist03
05-06-2007, 08:24 PM
I was disputing the statement that the Battle Flag was ever considered it's official flag.

Right you are. There were actually three flags officially recognized by the Confederacy in its short-lived existance, none of which were the flag most people think of now when they hear the term "Confederate Flag" :

http://www.confederateflags.org/images/SBVicks.gif

http://www.confederateflags.org/images/sbr1.gif

http://www.confederateflags.org/images/3natl1.gif