PDA

View Full Version : Question for golfers

CenTexSports
05-06-2007, 05:30 PM
I just finished a four man scramble in Rockdale. We played OK and shot 8 under on Saturday and 10 under today. The team that won the championship flight shot 21 under yesterday and 19 under today. That's 40 under par for two days.

Question: Has anybody ever played in a tournament where a team shot 0 under par without some form of handicapping system?

BTW: the team that shot 40 had an ex-nationwide player and a guy that played in the Shell Houston Open and a woman (looked like Meg Mallon).

injuredinmelee
05-06-2007, 05:35 PM
were there a lot of holes that had little gimmicks on them? I have seen scores like that but there were always gimmicks associated with them, such as Tiger tees and drop circles on the green. They are good ways to raise extra monies in charity tourneys.

CenTexSports
05-06-2007, 05:38 PM
Just one par five had a move of about 50 yards. It might have helped them by one or two strokes for the weekend but I am not sure because the woman would have still hit from the women's tees and she could kill it.

Their total score was 104 for two days.

injuredinmelee
05-06-2007, 05:47 PM
that is impressive. Was there a lot of money to be made in the tourney? Lots of day money etc? If you are scrambling in a tourney with good money it is imperative that you get three other good players and make on of those good players a female that can drive the ball. Nothing better than hitting your second shot with a PW.

Adidas410s
05-06-2007, 05:54 PM
Back in Abilene there was a 4-man scramble out in Hawley at Tangle Oaks. You could only take one other player though and then you were paired with 2 other people. The best we ever shot was 12 under on 9 holes. If it's a short course and you have 1 person who can hit long drives and another with a hot putter...it gives you a lot of good birdie opportunities! :)

Chris Hart
05-06-2007, 06:54 PM
Were there not enough teams for it to be flighted? I won't play in one that isn't, it's like giving your money away...

Did you at least win a door prize?:D

CenTexSports
05-06-2007, 07:02 PM
There wound up being 13 teams and there were two flights. 5 teams in the champ and 8 in the 1st.

We came in fourth in the 1st flight and won squat.

Chris Hart
05-06-2007, 07:07 PM
Originally posted by CenTexSports
There wound up being 13 teams and there were two flights. 5 teams in the champ and 8 in the 1st.

We came in fourth in the 1st flight and won squat. Wow that is some disparity! Do me a favor and let me know when the next 4-man in Rockdale comes up....;)

injuredinmelee
05-06-2007, 07:25 PM
Originally posted by Chris Hart
Wow that is some disparity! Do me a favor and let me know when the next 4-man in Rockdale comes up....;)

no kidding!

injuredinmelee
05-06-2007, 07:26 PM
Originally posted by Adidas410s
Back in Abilene there was a 4-man scramble out in Hawley at Tangle Oaks. You could only take one other player though and then you were paired with 2 other people. The best we ever shot was 12 under on 9 holes. If it's a short course and you have 1 person who can hit long drives and another with a hot putter...it gives you a lot of good birdie opportunities! :)

The thing with Tangle Oaks is that a long knocker helps you but he has to be accurate as their is no room for error at all. Some of those holes are just ridicuosly narrow.

Adidas410s
05-06-2007, 08:07 PM
Originally posted by injuredinmelee
The thing with Tangle Oaks is that a long knocker helps you but he has to be accurate as their is no room for error at all. Some of those holes are just ridicuosly narrow.
true....and if it was on the back 9 it would've been tougher. However...we got to play the Front 9 :D

BILLYFRED0000
05-06-2007, 08:27 PM
Low scores in a scramble are always possible. All you need is a hot putter. I played in a scramble at the Dye course at Stonebridge last spring and we shot 10 under. I was the A player and I play about once a month now. But I was hitting the flat stick well. And I lipped out a few puts as well. My brother and I played a 3 man and shot 12 under in 16 before a storm ran us off. I am sure we would have eagled the last hole because my brother is a bomber when he is on.
So absolutely low scores are possible.

garageoffice
05-06-2007, 11:52 PM
Low scores in a scramble are definitely possible. The summer after I graduated, four of us from our high school team played a 4-man and shot 18 under (one day). Our handicaps ranged from about 6 to about 13 or so. It really makes a difference when you have 3-4 experienced players who play consistently. Every single shot potentially benefits from the early attempts. That doesn't make as big a difference with players that are out of the groove, because knowing how to play the shot is only part of the job. Also, knowing each other's strengths allowed us to actually play with a strategy.

If we'd gotten a couple more putts to fall we'd have broken 20.