PDA

View Full Version : Spurs/Suns game 1

Adidas410s
05-06-2007, 05:09 PM
Did Nash break his nose??? That looks REALLY bad...

Adidas410s
05-06-2007, 05:11 PM
ugh....the dirty Frenchman gave him a headbutt!!! Those French sure know how to give a good headbutt....:mad:

dogdad
05-06-2007, 05:13 PM
hope so
GO SPURS
unlike the spurs' fans last year, I'm gonna pull for SA to win it all

Adidas410s
05-06-2007, 05:14 PM
nice defensive stand by the Spurs.

I'm with ya dogdad. If not for the Mavs then I'll root for the Spurs...and just ignore the whining and flopping!!! ;) ;)

Adidas410s
05-06-2007, 05:22 PM
Suns can't hit from up close on multiple shots. Finley ices it for the Spurs...

DU_stud04
05-06-2007, 05:23 PM
Originally posted by Adidas410s
ugh....the dirty Frenchman gave him a headbutt!!! Those French sure know how to give a good headbutt....:mad: hahaha:clap: :clap: :clap:

Phil C
05-06-2007, 05:27 PM
Tony Parker is one of the cleanest players in the league. And what is more he is engaged to a beautiful, talented, humble, charming, nice actress.

Gobbla2001
05-06-2007, 05:54 PM
I was pullin' for the Mavs in the finals last year...

but I was not heartbroken...

Go Spurs

Phil C
05-07-2007, 09:29 AM
Actually Nash was the one that fouled. Tony wasn't exactly uninjured.

Phil C
05-07-2007, 09:30 AM
That was bad luck for the Suns for Nash to be hurt and may have effected the outcome of the game.

Maroon87
05-07-2007, 09:41 AM
I tried pulling for the Mavs last year but all the whining and conspiracy theory talk (most of it on this very forum) turned me off and I didn't care who won by the time it was over.

JasperDog94
05-07-2007, 09:45 AM
Parker and Nash injured.

Advantage - Spurs.

The Suns won't be able to compete with the Spurs without a healthy Nash.

kaorder1999
05-07-2007, 09:46 AM
Originally posted by JasperDog94
Parker and Nash injured.

Advantage - Spurs.

The Suns won't be able to compete with the Spurs without a healthy Nash.

nash will be fine....im sure he got stitches and will be able to play just fine!

Macarthur
05-07-2007, 11:04 AM
Don't want to knee jerk because it's a long way until this is finished, but yesterday is a perfect example of why wild ass basketball has never won an NBA championship.

The playoffs come down to rebounding and defensive stops. Phoenix, as fun as they are to watch, can do neither of those.

big daddy russ
05-07-2007, 12:33 PM
Originally posted by Macarthur
Don't want to knee jerk because it's a long way until this is finished, but yesterday is a perfect example of why wild ass basketball has never won an NBA championship.

The playoffs come down to rebounding and defensive stops. Phoenix, as fun as they are to watch, can do neither of those.
I agree completely, Macarthur.

I was talking to a couple of friends of mine after the Spurs lost to Denver. They asked me (being a Spurs fan) if I was worried about the Spurs losing to Denver.

I told them no, that the only team in the West who even has a chance of beating the Spurs are the Mavs. I told them that San Antone would take the Nuggets in five or six because Denver doesn't have anyone to tie up Duncan when he's playing defense. He's free to contest every shot 'Melo and Iverson throw up.

Same two guys asked about Phoenix, with us being the underdog and all (and I use that term loosely... I don't mean to make us sound like we're pissed off about being a lower seed). I told them the same thing... that I'd be surprised if it even went to seven games.

This is the Spurs team that's we've been watching since the All-Star break, not the one before. It's the team that went 23-3 immediately following the break and destroyed Phoenix about a month ago (and I remember that SA only wound up winning by like 8, but the Spurs dominated the entire game).

Parker presents tons of matchup problems, just like Duncan and Ginobili do. Realistically, the Suns only have two above-average on-the-ball defenders (Bell and Marion). Amare's better-suited to roam the paint. When he's not doing that, the Suns' overall defense, especially their help D, suffers tremendously.

Unfortunately, Bell and Marion must keep Parker and Ginobili in check (when both are in at the same time) and that forces Amare to do something he's not great at doing--- covering Duncan in the low block.

Now I'll give Amare some credit. The guy did about as good a job as you could ask yesterday, but this was just Duncan's game to go off. There was nothing anyone could've down to slow Duncan down yesterday just like with any true superstar.

I think there are only two teams in the NBA that could've conceivably matched up against the Spurs-- the Mavs and the Pistons. They won't (possibly) meet one of those teams until the Finals.

I think the Spurs win this series in five or six and then win the WCF in five if they play the Warriors, six or seven if they play the Jazz.

SintonFan
05-07-2007, 12:39 PM
Originally posted by big daddy russ
I agree completely, Macarthur.

I was talking to a couple of friends of mine after the Spurs lost to Denver. They asked me (being a Spurs fan) if I was worried about the Spurs losing to Denver.

I told them no, that the only team in the West who even has a chance of beating the Spurs are the Mavs. I told them that San Antone would take the Nuggets in five or six because Denver doesn't have anyone to tie up Duncan when he's playing defense. He's free to contest every shot 'Melo and Iverson throw up.

Same two guys asked about Phoenix, with us being the underdog and all (and I use that term loosely... I don't mean to make us sound like we're pissed off about being a lower seed). I told them the same thing... that I'd be surprised if it even went to seven games.

This is the Spurs team that's we've been watching since the All-Star break, not the one before. It's the team that went 23-3 immediately following the break and destroyed Phoenix about a month ago (and I remember that SA only wound up winning by like 8, but the Spurs dominated the entire game).

Parker presents tons of matchup problems, just like Duncan and Ginobili do. Realistically, the Suns only have two above-average on-the-ball defenders (Bell and Marion). Amare's better-suited to roam the paint. When he's not doing that, the Suns' overall defense, especially their help D, suffers tremendously.

Unfortunately, Bell and Marion must keep Parker and Ginobili in check (when both are in at the same time) and that forces Amare to do something he's not great at doing--- covering Duncan in the low block.

Now I'll give Amare some credit. The guy did about as good a job as you could ask yesterday, but this was just Duncan's game to go off. There was nothing anyone could've down to slow Duncan down yesterday just like with any true superstar.

I think there are only two teams in the NBA that could've conceivably matched up against the Spurs-- the Mavs and the Pistons. They won't (possibly) meet one of those teams until the Finals.

I think the Spurs win this series in five or six and then win the WCF in five if they play the Warriors, six or seven if they play the Jazz.
Don't forget Russ, Manu didn't fair near as well as he normally does. Once he get's going, the sky is the limit for the Spurs.:cool:
I'm like you on the Jazz and the Pistons. Both of those teams match up very well against the Spurs and each series would be very hard fought.

JasperDog94
05-07-2007, 12:50 PM
I think the Rockets would have been a good matchup with the Spurs. But that's a mute point now.:(

crzyjournalist03
05-07-2007, 12:53 PM
Originally posted by JasperDog94
I think the Rockets would have been a good matchup with the Spurs. But that's a mute point now.:(

heck, I thought Mavs and Rockets was going to be a great second round matchup...

JasperDog94
05-07-2007, 12:58 PM
Originally posted by crzyjournalist03
heck, I thought Mavs and Rockets was going to be a great second round matchup... This board would be much livelier if they were.:devil:

SintonFan
05-07-2007, 12:59 PM
Originally posted by dogdad
hope so
GO SPURS
unlike the spurs' fans last year, I'm gonna pull for SA to win it all
Don't be silly. Most of us Spur's fans here rooted for the Mavs after the conference semis.:p

Macarthur
05-07-2007, 01:03 PM
The reason the Pistons match up well is because they play good defense. Plus, Rasheed is a matchup problem for the Spurs because he's got an inside and outside game.

Gobbla2001
05-07-2007, 01:27 PM
As Amare said before the series began, Duncan is gunna get his points, he's a hall of famer (basically making excuses prior to defeat)... the suns are stuck here... they either focus on stopping everyone else defensively (excluding Duncan) and let Duncan and atleast one other Spur go bananas, or they try to limit Duncan's effectiveness and hold him to 20 points and just 10 boards while Parker, Finley and Ginobili kill 'em...

The Mavs are about the only team that could do a great job defensively on the Spurs because they have some depth for Timmy and all around great defenders WHEN they're not running around like their hair is on fire...

then there's Detroit... they play the best defense but don't have as deep of a defensively talented bench as the Mavs haD...

Macarthur
05-07-2007, 01:32 PM
Originally posted by Gobbla2001
As Amare said before the series began, Duncan is gunna get his points, he's a hall of famer (basically making excuses prior to defeat)... the suns are stuck here... they either focus on stopping everyone else defensively (excluding Duncan) and let Duncan and atleast one other Spur go bananas, or they try to limit Duncan's effectiveness and hold him to 20 points and just 10 boards while Parker, Finley and Ginobili kill 'em...

I agree the Suns are in a predicament. Their biggest problem, IMO, comes at the offensive end as the game winds down.

As the game gets closer to the end, the Spurs are like a boa constrictor. Their defense just slowly strangles you. And those kick out 3's just don't go down as easily in the 4th when your legs are tired. That's why having a post game to go to in the clutch is so important. When the game is on the line, the Spurs run their offense through Duncan. The Suns have to run their game through perimiter players.