PDA

View Full Version : Report: Van Gundy leaving Rockets

setxsports
05-06-2007, 11:58 AM
Report: Van Gundy leaving RocketsESPN.com news services

Saturday's Game 7 loss to the Jazz was the last for Jeff Van Gundy as the Houston Rockets' coach, according to the New York Post.

Citing an "impeccable source," The Post reported that Van Gundy is leaving NBA coaching for the forseeable future. According to the source, Van Gundy's decision isn't based on the first-round series loss to the Jazz.

Van Gundy wouldn't discuss his future when asked in the postgame news conference Saturday.

"All that stuff next year is for another time," Van Gundy said. "Tonight is about obviously a hugely disappointing result.

"Guys had a tremendous regular season and a great group, and we didn't play as well as we would have hoped in the postseason."

The Rockets have missed the playoffs just once in Van Gundy's four years with the Rockets, but Houston has also failed to make it out of the first round each time.

Van Gundy is 430-318 as an NBA coach. He has a 44-44 postseason record in guiding the Knicks and the Rockets to the playoffs.

In 1999, he became the first coach in NBA history to guide an eighth-seeded team to the NBA Finals, where the Knicks lost to the San Antonio Spurs.

His winning percentage of .590 in New York ranks only second to Pat Riley (.680) in Knicks history.

JR2004
05-06-2007, 12:56 PM
Another control freak bites the dust!

big daddy russ
05-06-2007, 01:00 PM
Go after Larry Brown. It's already a team geared for Brown's style of play.

IHStangFan
05-06-2007, 02:05 PM
GOOD!!! I can't stand that ahole anyway, and he wasn't much of a coach either. One thing I noticed about the Rockets this series....they didn't seem to put any emphasis on rebounding, especially offensively. To me, that would be something a coach would have something to do with....and ultimately I feel that is why they lost the series. SO.....piss off Van Gundy, in 2 weeks nobody in Houston will remember your name.

JasperDog94
05-06-2007, 07:10 PM
The Rockets need a change. I hope this is true.

crzyjournalist03
05-06-2007, 07:19 PM
Originally posted by JasperDog94
The Rockets need a change. I hope this is true.

get rid of McGrady...he's never made it out of the first round, and he's played with plenty of very good teams!

bulldogman06
05-06-2007, 07:30 PM
no way, just get a coach worth something. mcgrady is the best player on that team, period. lose him, houston will be trying to get a high draft pick instead of home court advantage

Phil C
05-06-2007, 07:47 PM
Originally posted by crzyjournalist03
get rid of McGrady...he's never made it out of the first round, and he's played with plenty of very good teams!

I hate to see the coach go but talent is there. They just need another outside shooter and they should be fine.

big daddy russ
05-06-2007, 08:13 PM
I'll agree with you that he shouldn't be the focal point of a team, but I don't think they should get rid of him unless they get a Kobe Bryant, LeBron James, or Tim Duncan in return.

There's not much they could get for him that would warrant what they'd give up unless someone's willing to trade one of the top two picks in this years' draft.

crzyjournalist03
05-06-2007, 08:15 PM
Originally posted by big daddy russ
I'll agree with you that he shouldn't be the focal point of a team, but I don't think they should get rid of him unless they get a Kobe Bryant, LeBron James, or Tim Duncan in return.

There's not much they could get for him that would warrant what they'd give up unless someone's willing to trade one of the top two picks in this years' draft.

How about McGrady for Josh Howard and Jason Terry? Seems to me that that could help two Texas teams at once...I doubt Rockets fans would want to see that move, and I doubt that Mavs fans would want to see that, but I think that could be a smart match on both sides.

big daddy russ
05-06-2007, 08:24 PM
How about McGrady for Josh Howard and Jason Terry? Seems to me that that could help two Texas teams at once...I doubt Rockets fans would want to see that move, and I doubt that Mavs fans would want to see that, but I think that could be a smart match on both sides.
I don't see that helping the Rockets out a lot. They already have a couple of good, short, scoring guards. Howard would be a nice addition, but that trade wouldn't be worth McGrady, IMO.

I actually think the Rockets take a step back in this trade.

crzyjournalist03
05-06-2007, 08:32 PM
I don't see that helping the Rockets out a lot. They already have a couple of good, short, scoring guards. Howard would be a nice addition, but that trade wouldn't be worth McGrady, IMO.

McGrady would have to restructure his deal to make it happen anyway...it will never happen, but if it ever did, I'd like to take credit for being the first to invent it.

JasperDog94
05-06-2007, 10:01 PM
I...I don't think they should get rid of him unless they get a Kobe Bryant... in return. You should have your mouth washed out with soap for that comment.;)

bulldogman06
05-07-2007, 07:45 AM
hey, kobe shaq worked, why not kobe yao?