PDA

View Full Version : Centex Quandary

WOS87
05-06-2007, 10:03 AM
For those of you in the Gatesville/Burnet area... is there a simple explanation why Gatesville and Burnet are at the top of this list as far as Texas towns are concerned? 61% seems lilke a huge deviation from the average....

Top 100 Rankings (http://www.city-data.com/top28.html)

JR2004
05-06-2007, 12:47 PM
Gatesville's population I believe also includes the population of the women's prison which has somewhere around 2000 or so inmates. If they're included with the city's population that might be why you see the town as being 61 percent women. Might have to ask one of the people from Gatesville who use this board though as I'm sure they could provide a better answer.

Matthew328
05-06-2007, 01:09 PM
I was thinking the same thing...I remember my freshman year in criminal justice we visitied the women's prison...that was interesting to say the least

As for Burnet I'll let you guys know on June 2...

Chris Hart
05-06-2007, 01:22 PM
Originally posted by JR2004
Gatesville's population I believe also includes the population of the women's prison which has somewhere around 2000 or so inmates. If they're included with the city's population that might be why you see the town as being 61 percent women. Might have to ask one of the people from Gatesville who use this board though as I'm sure they could provide a better answer. You may be on to something, Burnet has a women's prison too. I'm not sure of the number of inmates...

Centextrash
05-06-2007, 02:11 PM
women prisoners = women guards

TDC puts female officers with female units. That MIGHT be one reason.

LH Panther Mom
05-06-2007, 02:23 PM
Many, many (okay LOTS) of years ago, I dated a guy whose mom was a nurse at the womens' prison in Gatesville. I would NOT ever have wanted to cross her.

WOS87
05-06-2007, 02:52 PM
Ahhh... if you click on Gatesville you get a lot more stats. This one pretty much answers the question. It's gotta be because of the prison... Thanks for the help.

Most common occupations for females in Gatesville:
Law enforcement workers including supervisors (11%)
Other office and administrative support workers including supervisors (9%)
Secretaries and administrative assistants (7%)
Nursing, psychiatric, and home health aides (6%)
Other sales and related workers including supervisors (5%)
Health technologists and technicians (5%)

JJ7997
05-06-2007, 04:40 PM
Your all correct, They do count the inmates, Which baffles me. Why count them, isnt it kinda misleading ? Alot of my family works for TDCJ.

Swarm 51
05-07-2007, 12:08 AM
Originally posted by JJ7997
Your all correct, They do count the inmates, Which baffles me. Why count them, isnt it kinda misleading ? Alot of my family works for TDCJ.

When the last federal census was taken in Gatesville the prison inmates were included. It is misleading as the population signs on the two highways entering the town show over 15,000 living here. However, about 5 to 6,000 of those are the inmates.