PDA

View Full Version : Splendora vs Columbia

daddy02
05-05-2007, 10:31 PM
any word on tonights game?

flowerchick
05-05-2007, 11:20 PM
Columbia lost 1-4. Columiba girls played with class and great sportsmenship. Very proud with them. Our girls try to win games with skill not tricks. Good luck Sealy. Make our District proud. Great season Columbia. Great job.

Reds fan
05-05-2007, 11:23 PM
Splendora is very tricky.:(

pirate4state
05-05-2007, 11:30 PM
Tricky how? :thinking: :confused:

Congrats to the Lady Necks on a fine season. It is very tough to repeat, even tougher when you've had some of the obstacles your team has faced this year! Keep your heads high! :)

Reds fan
05-05-2007, 11:36 PM
They simply run some well timed plays that can catch their opponents of guard, saw one in the Katy tourney where they fake a throw and act out as if the throw was made, and catch base runners offgaurd. Nothing illegal, just well coached plays.

pirate4state
05-05-2007, 11:39 PM
Originally posted by Reds fan
They simply run some well timed plays that can catch their opponents of guard, saw one in the Katy tourney where they fake a throw and act out as if the throw was made, and catch base runners offgaurd. Nothing illegal, just well coached plays. LMAO! I love that play. Our baseball team used to run that one alot when I was in HS. :) Can't believe baserunners still fall for that one.

3aSoftball4Mom
05-05-2007, 11:44 PM
Splendora is very tricky.:(

and their painted boys were very rude to the Columbia players and fans. :dispntd:

Columbia....you played a great game tonight. :clap: :clap:
and had a great season, despite all of your obstacles.

3aSoftball4Mom
05-05-2007, 11:53 PM
They simply run some well timed plays that can catch their opponents of guard, saw one in the Katy tourney where they fake a throw and act out as if the throw was made, and catch base runners offgaurd. Nothing illegal, just well coached plays.

:confused: :thinking:
We are still not sure what the ruling was on that play they did tonight.
Saw the caught ball in the outfield...then all of the Splendora players running off like it was the 3rd out. the girl on 2nd base run. and the ump immediatly call her out.
Why.. I looked away for a few seconds and didn't see the rest, except their pitcher laughing.

Can you explain that one?

3&2count
05-06-2007, 12:17 AM
Splendora has a very good ball club. They know the game and play hard for 7 innings. The shortstop made one of the best plays I have seen in a long long time. (and this was on a play where no out was recorded) She can flat play.

Good luck, I know you have a tough one now with Sealy. This should be a good game or series.

18handicap
05-06-2007, 01:19 AM
I would assume that the umpire called the runner out for not tagging up???

3aSoftball4Mom
05-06-2007, 01:56 AM
actually, she was on the base a good while after the fielders ran by her. so I don't think tagging was the issue.

the talk was that it was something about the pitcher in the circle and hesitating. but she didn't do that either.
:confused:

carter08
05-06-2007, 08:39 AM
Columbia had a great season considering all the losses they had

Hopefully Kiara's back next year

Reds fan
05-06-2007, 02:47 PM
Originally posted by 3aSoftball4Mom
:confused: :thinking:
We are still not sure what the ruling was on that play they did tonight.
Saw the caught ball in the outfield...then all of the Splendora players running off like it was the 3rd out. the girl on 2nd base run. and the ump immediatly call her out.
Why.. I looked away for a few seconds and didn't see the rest, except their pitcher laughing.

Can you explain that one?

If the pitcher had the ball in the circle...(while you looked away for a few seconds) then baserunner was out if she made any step off of the base. Sounds like that was the play.

3aSoftball4Mom
05-07-2007, 12:42 AM
If the pitcher had the ball in the circle...(while you looked away for a few seconds) then baserunner was out if she made any step off of the base. Sounds like that was the play.

I think that your right.
This is what I heard today.
When the left fielder ran past the pitcher, she flipped the ball to the pitcher.
The runner was on second. Had she been off of the bag, before the pitcher got the ball, she could have continued to third. However she wasn't, so when the base coach yelled for her to come to third, she was out. I'm assuming that the coach did not see the flip of the ball to the pitcher either.

It all happened so fast and smoothly, with the commotion and confusion, it was hard to see if you weren't expecting it.
smart play. not very fan friendly though. :D

18handicap
05-07-2007, 06:34 AM
Agreed -- not fan friendly. I had a team years ago in which we pulled that play successfully in a district playoff. It was a win or go home game and it about caused a huge fight in the game. We were desperate for something good to happen to us and we won that game, but the key word was desperation. I haven't pulled it since and don't ever plan to do it again.

nette_mom
05-07-2007, 07:48 AM
Splendora has a good team, I watched them pull two trick plays in the Katy tournament. I don't understand why any team has to resort to trick plays to win a game, especially a good team.

BTEXDAD
05-07-2007, 08:55 AM
Watched 4A brenham play Madisonville in warmup game other week. Set play with Brenham in field and runner on third for madisnville with only one out. Batter struck out, Brenham catcher rolled ball toward pitcher, while catcher and all other fielders moved toward dugout. Pitcher was to get ball in circle. In confusion, if runner didn't return to third or left it after this, they would have been out. Problem was, catcher rolled it too hard and off to side of pitcher. Ball got by her and rolled out toward second base and runner scored.
One of the brenham dad's said his daughter told him they'd worked on that play for thirty minutes the day b4. We agreed that was a wasted thirty minutes of practice time.

Reds fan
05-07-2007, 09:08 AM
Originally posted by nette_mom
Splendora has a good team, I watched them pull two trick plays in the Katy tournament. I don't understand why any team has to resort to trick plays to win a game, especially a good team.

Agreed, resorting to what is ultimately deception can certainly turn fans off and take away from the players abilities in the field. Coaches that do this will bring ill will toward their own players and take away from ball playing skills.

Don't get me wrong, well faked throws etc. where a play is being attempted, are fine and part of the game, but a situation like mentioned above is going too far and has nothing to do with skill.

Good luck to Sealy, watch out for their gimmicks and try to find out about as many things that they will try! Particularly the fake throw from catcher to third when you have a baserunner on third!

nette_mom
05-07-2007, 09:47 AM
That is hillarious!!!! Why would you waste your time on something soooooooo stupid. Sounds like these coaches have NO FAITH IN THE ABILITY OF THEIR PLAYERS TO WIN A GAME WITHOUT TRICKERY. Why don't they just play the game and let the girls decide it on the field!!!