PDA

View Full Version : Spiderman 3 sets opening day record

eagles_victory
05-05-2007, 09:59 PM
All AP Movie News

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

AP Photo
More Photos...

`Spider-Man 3' Nets Record $59M in 1 Day
Saturday May 5 12:19 PM ET

Hollywood's biggest superhero now has the biggest box-office debut.

"Spider-Man 3" took in a record $59 million domestically on opening day Friday, breaking the previous all-time high of $55.8 million for "Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest" in its first day last summer.

Sony Pictures, the studio behind the "Spider-Man" franchise, also reported Saturday that the movie took in an additional $45 million overseas on Friday for a worldwide total of $104 million, a record for single-day grosses globally.

ADVERTISEMENT

Sony spokesman Steve Elzer said executives at the studio declined to comment until estimates for the full weekend are available Sunday morning.

By then, the "Spider-Man" franchise could reclaim the record for best three-day opening ever. The first "Spider-Man" pulled in $114.8 million domestically in its debut weekend in 2002, a record that stood until "Dead Man's Chest" shattered it with $135.6 million last July.

In a news release, Sony said it expects "Spider-Man 3" will come in around the $135 million to $145 million range for its first weekend.

"That's why they call him the amazing Spider-Man," said Paul Dergarabedian, president of box-office tracker Media By Numbers. "Just five years ago, these are numbers we thought we'd never see."

"Spider-Man 3" opened to record numbers in some countries as early as Tuesday and expanded to other locations over the next few days. Elzer said figures for the film's total worldwide haul since Tuesday would not be released until Sunday.

The film, which cost $258 million to make, already had a record going into the weekend. It opened in 4,252 theaters domestically, topping the previous record of 4,163 set by "Shrek 2" in 2004.

"It certainly doesn't hurt to have that much shelf space devoted to `Spider-Man,'" Dergarabedian said.

"Spider-Man 3" stars Tobey Maguire as Peter Parker, who becomes the web-slinging superhero after a bite from a mutant spider endows him with special powers. The new film reunites Maguire with director Sam Raimi and co-stars Kirsten Dunst as Peter's girlfriend Mary Jane and James Franco as his old friend Harry, now a sworn enemy who blames Spidey for his father's death.

Along with two new villains (Thomas Haden Church and Topher Grace), Spider-Man battles inner demons after an alien entity turns his red-and-blue suit black and he's tempted to use his powers for evil.

___

carter08
05-05-2007, 10:01 PM
58 million was spent by disappointed people

KTA
05-05-2007, 10:05 PM
you got that right!!!:mad:

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
05-05-2007, 10:21 PM
The new Pirates movie will blow this out of the water, I'm afraid.

Emerson1
05-06-2007, 12:35 AM
Originally posted by BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
The new Pirates movie will blow this out of the water, I'm afraid.
That will probably break alot of record. S3 will be dethroned next week by 28 Weeks Later

mustang04
05-06-2007, 11:56 AM
Originally posted by Emerson1
That will probably break alot of record. S3 will be dethroned next week by 28 Weeks Later i HIGHLY doubt that.....there is nowhere near as much hype about "28 Weeks Later" as there was for Spiderman 3

Emerson1
05-06-2007, 11:57 AM
I mean top of the box office, not setting a sales record. PotC 3 will be ontop for a few weeks if it can not blow like the 3rd installment of every other series ever made

Keith7
05-06-2007, 11:59 AM
I mean top of the box office, not setting a sales record. PotC 3 will be ontop for a few weeks if it can not blow like the 3rd installment of every other series ever made

I guess you've never seen Batman forever

mustang04
05-06-2007, 12:22 PM

28 Weeks Later will not ever get above Spiderman 3 in the box office...maybe after a long time only because spiderman 3 will have been out longer...but even then i doubt it....guess we'll see, eh?

carter08
05-06-2007, 12:41 PM
Originally posted by mustang04
28 Weeks Later will not ever get above Spiderman 3 in the box office...maybe after a long time only because spiderman 3 will have been out longer...but even then i doubt it....guess we'll see, eh?

when people realize S3 is a waste of time, then it will drop quickly

mustang04
05-06-2007, 01:25 PM
Originally posted by carter08
when people realize S3 is a waste of time, then it will drop quickly

i think it is split on that....

both my roommates went to watch it and loved it....and i know alot of other people who watched it and liked it

mustang04
05-06-2007, 01:26 PM
if it can not blow like the 3rd installment of every other series ever made

ever see X-Men 3????? it was freakin bad-@$$ and i think it was WAY better than the first 2

big daddy russ
05-06-2007, 01:42 PM
That will probably break alot of record. S3 will be dethroned next week by 28 Weeks Later
I don't know about all that. 28 Weeks Later isn't being talked about by everyone up here in Huntsville, and I'd imagine these college students have the same tastes as most others. SM3 has been talked about by everyone for the past year or so.

Actually, I've only heard maybe one or two people talk about 28 Weeks Later. I'd be willing to bet that Spiderman 3 is the top movie in the box office for at least two weekends.

PotC3 may break SM3's record, though.

Originally posted by mustang04
ever see X-Men 3????? it was freakin bad-@$$ and i think it was WAY better than the first 2
I agree, Reg. By far the best of the X-Men series, just like Lord of the Rings 3 (IMO) was by far the best of the LotR trilogy.

Emerson1
05-06-2007, 01:46 PM
Originally posted by big daddy russ

Actually, I've only heard maybe one or two people talk about 28 Weeks Later. I'd be willing to bet that Spiderman 3 is the top movie in the box office for at least two weekends.

Shrek the Third comes out the 18th, so it will for sure be dethroned then.

Movies theaters are gonna be banking this month

mustang04
05-06-2007, 03:09 PM
This is actually gonna be one of the best springs/summers for movies that i have thought of in a while...there are alot of movies that just look really good to me:

in no order of course

Spiderman3
Pirates of the Carribean 3
Fantastic Four : Rise of the Silver Surfer
Shrek 3
Transformers
...there are a couple more i was thinking of earlier but can't quite think of them now...but hey all of the above look pretty awesome!!!

now only if Hollywood could come out with GOOD scary movies...not cheesy ones, but ones that are seriously scary...sry but psycho killer movies aren't "SCARY" more or less suspenseful, but not scary...man i wish i was 4 again so i could get scared much easier:p

***just thought of it... Ocean's 13...looks really good as well...not sure when it comes out tho?!?! somebody help me out...

theyoefnshow
05-06-2007, 03:18 PM
28 weeks Later? Are you high? The first one was garbage that I shut off after 45 wretched minutes. We caught SM3 last night at the IMAX in San Antonio and I thought it was quite good. part one and two were pretty "meh" to me but the comic nerd in me liked seeing the similarities and differences in part 3 regarding the symbiote, Gwen Stacy, Eddie Brock, Goblin....it was cool I thought.

oh and in the same theater we were in? In walked DAVID FREAKIN ROBINSON! How cool is that? My wife's head was just above his waist! He's huge! Course she is only 4'11 but still lol

mustang04
05-06-2007, 03:21 PM
Originally posted by theyoefnshow
28 weeks Later? Are you high? The first one was garbage that I shut off after 45 wretched minutes. We caught SM3 last night at the IMAX in San Antonio and I thought it was quite good. part one and two were pretty "meh" to me but the comic nerd in me liked seeing the similarities and differences in part 3 regarding the symbiote, Gwen Stacy, Eddie Brock, Goblin....it was cool I thought.

oh and in the same theater we were in? In walked DAVID FREAKIN ROBINSON! How cool is that? My wife's head was just above his waist! He's huge! Course she is only 4'11 but still lol

one of my best friends and our stud athlete in highschool has an older brother who goes to church with David Robinson and they actually hang out on a regular basis....they have all these pictures and stuff, the man is massive when he's next to either you or ppl you know

Old Tiger
05-06-2007, 04:56 PM
Shrek the third will beat them all! :D