PDA

View Full Version : Megachuch taking over UIL?

tortilla_man
05-05-2007, 09:04 AM
I have included a link below to an intresting story of who is behind the push to let the private school get into the UIL

Article (http://www.theeagle.com/stories/050507/texas_20070505063.php)

hawkfan
05-05-2007, 09:14 AM
All we're asking for is a fair playing field and [to] be able to participate in UIL activities," said Cornerstone administrator Alan Hulme. "We want the best for our students. That's why we want to come under the umbrella of the UIL and embrace their integrity."

Fair my a#$!!! How is is fair when they can recruit and regular school can't? But Im' sure the UIL will give in for one reason. Can you say Cha-ching?

LH Panther Mom
05-05-2007, 09:53 AM
(note - I didn't read the link yet.....)

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Cornerstone get their TAPPS membership revoked for violations? And yet they think they can "play fair" by what I understand are more strict rules?????? Whatever! :hand: :hand:

j_dog
05-05-2007, 10:24 AM
Originally posted by LH Panther Mom
(note - I didn't read the link yet.....)

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Cornerstone get their TAPPS membership revoked for violations? And yet they think they can "play fair" by what I understand are more strict rules?????? Whatever! :hand: :hand:
I think that is correct. In fact, what I read is that they were no small timers at recruiting. They did not just recruit "locally", the allegations were that they recruiting nationally and internationally. I guess they were just being "Good Christians". :D

It makes me sick to think that the legislature and/or the UIL would even think of such a thing as letting them into the UIL. Private schools should play against private schools, and public schools should play against public schools. Period. (Except for pre-district games if they wish, of course.)

LH Panther Mom
05-05-2007, 11:18 AM
Originally posted by j_dog
I think that is correct. In fact, what I read is that they were no small timers at recruiting. They did not just recruit "locally", the allegations were that they recruiting nationally and internationally. I guess they were just being "Good Christians". :D

It makes me sick to think that the legislature and/or the UIL would even think of such a thing as letting them into the UIL. Private schools should play against private schools, and public schools should play against public schools. Period. (Except for pre-district games if they wish, of course.)
Thanks.....I read it after I posted. Yeah, I'm sure they want to go by UIL rules. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

not

sinton66
05-05-2007, 12:24 PM
I don't see any practical way for the UIL to prevent the privates from recruiting. This will end up being just like Lousyanna, Californicate, and other states with the privates ruling the game. This move will eventually kill the "Friday Night Lights" tradition in Texas.

STANG RED
05-05-2007, 01:55 PM
A few years back, the UIL would have never even consider such a thing.
But now I'm not to sure; in light of many of their recent moronic decisions.

LH Panther Mom
05-05-2007, 01:59 PM
Originally posted by STANG RED
A few years back, the UIL would have never even consider such a thing.
But now I'm not to sure; in light of many of their recent moronic decisions.
The UIL (if I remember right) said no to Cornerstone. This mess is on the State Congress. :doh:

STANG RED
05-05-2007, 02:04 PM
The UIL (if I remember right) said no to Cornerstone. This mess is on the State Congress. :doh:

Oops, my bad:doh: . Well crap, thats even worse. Those guys are going to just go with who ever lines their pockets the most.:mad:

This is actually an easy fix. Just close the privates, and enroll those kids in public schools. Seems easy enough to me.

JR2004
05-05-2007, 02:12 PM
http://bbs.3adownlow.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=64180

John Hagee is the person behind all of this. If you don't want to see a school in the UIL led by a completely dishonest, corrupt, and money hungry human being who poses as a minister then it'd be a good idea to write your local state senator and congressman or woman.

If that school, along with several others, get in to the UIL then there's going to wind up being a lot of schools at the 3A and 2A level that get hit the hardest by this.

JR2004
05-05-2007, 02:13 PM

That's right. The UIL has been fighting them every step of the way on this, but when you have the political contacts that Hagee does it's extremely hard for the folks running the UIL to stop the guy.

big daddy russ
05-05-2007, 05:18 PM
You know, as much crap as the UIL gets, it's actually been recognized as one of the best governing bodies of HS athletics in the nation. At one point in time (and this was 5-10 years ago, so I don't know where things stand now), they were consistently considered number one.

I'm sure that if you went through the laundry list of your favorite politician and could see how he/she voted on every bill that was passed, there'd be a ton of things you didn't agree with. Sure, the UIL makes mistakes just like everyone else, but we should be counting our blessings that we have them governing us instead of the CIF or, worse yet, the Texas State Congress.

I just wrote to my Senator, Judith Zaffirini, and asked her some questions about this measure. I'd urge every single one of you to do the same before the UIL is taken over by Congress.

Oh, and the people who voted "yes" on this bill fall into one of four categories:

1.) Uneducated... Watch C-Span for a little bit and see how the national Congress works. Congress doesn't exactly go in-depth with every little bill that passes through. They don't educate themselves on every single pro and con to every single bill, and they don't realize how messed up and uneven the in other states have become, particularly Louisiana and New York.

2.) Have their own personal agenda... And this isn't necessarily bad. By all accounts, Dan Patrick (the Senator who sponsored the bill) honestly seems like a good guy. Judging by his website (http://www.danpatrickforsenate.com/) and the bills he's sponsored, the guy seems like an honest Christian. I know appearances can be deceiving, but on the outside, he looks like a geniunely good guy. Originally from Maryland (where private schools like powerhouse DeMatha compete alongside the publics), he migrated to Texas and sent both of his kids to Christian school. And that's where the personal agenda comes in. He comes from a culture where privates and publics compete against each other and his kids never got that chance when they were in HS. A personal agenda actually is the best thing to have in most cases. It means you have a genuine interest in the topic and aren't just voting simply to vote.

3.) Partisan voting... They'll vote on the bill just because the seniors in the party tell them to. And if they want to move up within the ranks or get any of their bills passed, it's just something they're pretty much shackled to as politicians.

4.) Lobbying... There's no reason to kid ourselves, many of the well-to-do urbanites here in Texas that are active in politics send their kids to private schools. And why not? It prepares them for college much better than public schools. But by that token, those well-to-do urbanites also have the money to throw at Congressmen and buy a vote, and lobbying is hardly regulated here in the Texas State Legislature.

Anyways, I don't like it one bit, and I'm sure most of you are in the same boat. At least the UIL is thoroughly educated on these topics when they make a decision, so if they screw up, they do so with a full plate of facts and figures to digest. We can't necessarily say the same for Congress.

3afan
05-05-2007, 05:29 PM
Originally posted by hawkfan
..... Can you say Cha-ching?

:rolleyes:

do your homework ...

Phil C
05-05-2007, 05:38 PM
This is going to ruin football in Texas. In fact it is going to ruin all sports in high school as we know it now.